It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

Female Join date : 2012-07-05

people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( Empty
PostSubject: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 8:27 pm

This is a big long sorry but I'm really baffled and need a little insight.

So Thor's just started going for short walks the last few days, his first walk we did at night, because due to the time my partner and I got home it was pretty dark, and he did wonderfully, he was very scared to leave out front gate and needed to be coaxed down with some treats (Our driveway is a pretty steep hill) once he was down it took him maybe 10 meters to get used to his harness and then he was okay for that walk. (Also we weren't sure if the pavement would be too rough on his paws so we went at night when it was cooler to see if his pads were okay, the walk was no more than 10minutes long)

I took him for a walk on Saturday at a bout 5pm when it was still really light out, but everytime we would go past a driveway he would slam on the breaks and cower, sticking his back end as far away from the driveway and sort of side stepping across is... Its really peculiar, on this walk I forgot my treats so I had to use verbal encouragement and lightly encourage him to keep walking and he did but he does it to EVERY driveway, and the driveway to the little shopping complex a street over is even worse because the driveway is double the size.

He is also petrified of people far away, and will do the same thing as he does to driveways as to people if he isn't in sniffing distance...

He was pet about 5 times by people on the way doing the whole "What sort of dog etc" and was super fine with them and was loving on them happily, and then when we were near 5 houses out from home a mother and her daughter in their yard did the "Awwww" and got his attention and he wanted to love on them too, but the instant the womans husband came out he pee'd a little and put his tail between his legs, the man didn't even come close because he could see how scared he was but once his attention was back to the little girl and her mother he was darting around their legs ears down and lovey.

I do not know where this behavior is coming from at all, it is not something he has learnt here, he adores my partner, my partners dad ignores him a bit because he REALLY didn't want us to get a boy husky at all, but he isn't mean to him, and I don't know what to do with this driveway business :\

When I'm walking him if he slams on the breaks I turn around to face him and crouch down low and pat the floor and pull on the leash very gently to make him focus on me not the driveway and it takes a few seconds but he'll start moving, but when we are walking his attention is everywhere else BUT me, he doesn't listen very well, and it's almost like he ignores his name (He knows it, just chooses not to hear it i think) he is awesomely trained at 13-14 weeks, he knows his sit, lay down, shake, high five, paw and other paw, wait and speak (sorta, silent) but try and make him sit on a walk when you need to cross the road takes at LEAST 4 command tries... he gets very scared of some cars and will just sit and watch them drive past...

I'm at a bit of a loss Sad I don't want to take him out for a walk because if he is this scared I don't want walks to become a punishment...
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm

He might be going through a fear stage right now. It usually lasts between 8 to 11 week old puppies, but each puppy will be different. You may want to avoid scary walks for a few weeks and try again later. In the mean time, just bring him to places so he can socialize with people and other dogs up close.

If it's not that, you may want to get his eye's checked to make sure his eyesight is fine. Cloudy vision might be the reason why things far away or a change in what he's walking on scares him.

people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Balon went through a stage for about a week when we first got him where he wouldn't greet my husband now he is 6"2 but my son is 6"4 lol. But it only lasted about a week then he was fine.
Back to top Go down
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm really hoping he will grow out of it, we're going to leave it until Sunday to walk him again it's just very hard because he's getting very destructive because he's bored and no amount of play seems to wear him out!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Crate him when he's bored. It will help teach him patience! Also short training sessions will help to tire him out too.

people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 pm

He's currently un crated, he gets 15 minutes of training a day, because anymore and he just looses interest, my partner decided against getting a crate because he has to be an outside dog (And he knows i don't agree with this) But that's just how it has to be while we're living with his parents house, he always has company with Maddie and people home, our yard has 3 sections though, so when he gets bored and doesn't wanna play with us we put him on the grass area and he amuses himself there.
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 am

Compton had a fear of stairs when he was a pup, wouldn't walk down them or up them without putting up a fight, and screaming in a high pitched voice that made it sound like we were torturing him. The only way we could overcome it was by every day making him face the stairs, every time he went down a stair he got some pats, and in a calm and happy voice we would tell him "good boy compton, next one" once he got down a couple he would a treat and more pats, and so it would continue. we would do this for up and down, and as he started to improve we would change it to halfway down he got a treat and pats, then to at the bottom of the stairs is when he got the treats and pats. Within a few weeks he was perfectly comfortable walking or running up and down the stairs. It takes time, consistency and patience.

Perhaps you could try working with him at the bottom of your driveway, by just spending a bit of time at the edge of your drive way getting him comfortable with it, you don't have to get him to walk across it, but maybe walk with him slowly up to the drive way and as you are approaching it, have the treats on the ready, and as he is walking give him a treat and in a calm voice reassure him that he is doing well, if you sense his is going to start showing he is scared, reassure him with a happy "good boy, come on" and if he keeps on walking give him a treat. I have found the best way to distract their minds from other things during walks is to say their name and then when they look at you and make eye contact tell them "good boy/girl" and reward them (pats, treats whatever it may be). you could maybe try this as your are approaching the drive way or a person, to grab his attention before you step onto the drive way so he doesn't notice what he is doing.

Sorry this is very long and probably all over the shop, i find it easier to explain things by showing them or speaking them,
You are not too far away from where we are, so if you need a hand with training or anything, we would be more then happy to give you a hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(   people - Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Petrified of driveways and people on walks? Help :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1