It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First interview with potential home for a pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

home - First interview with potential home for a pup Empty
PostSubject: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Ok well Ive told a few of yall that I wanted to interview and get to know the potential new families for Isis's pups, and I dont know if its early or not but I wanted to get a head start, I interviewed this morning A husband and wife who are interested in adopting two babies, really really wonderful couple, met their son who is 9 years old, they showed me around their home and yard, gave me the info for the vet they will take them to, everything. They rented books from the library about huskies (even though their mixed) and are reserching kibble vs raw, they will be coming twice a week to visit until the pups are old enough and weaned, and unlike most people I have had contact with, they actually WANT the pups to stay with mama long as possible, I am really liking this family and I feel good that they are comftorble with my terms of adoption and even had suggestions of their own Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm

That's awesome!! I'm so glad you found a good family. Hopefully you will find other great homes for the pups! I don't know if you've mentioned it already but are you keeping any?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 pm

That's great! I think Kristina (Arooroomom) and Sara can make suggestions on the adoption contract, questions to ask, etc. Here's one from some of the dogs I'm helping to rehome in the Dallas, TX area:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.271339932971102.50850.268235303281565&type=3

It has really good questions about what type of behavior adopters will tolerate (nipping, escaping, high prey drive,etc) and identifies the adopters that aren't willing to go the extra mile to be a permanent responsible pet parent. The app is originally from Treasured K9s rescue in NJ.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

:o Ooooh I havent even clicked on the link but I can already tell how super helpful that link will be, Hopefully Kristina & Sara make an appearance here as well. This is exactly why I wanted to start as soon as the pups were born, I want to make sure I cover and can be 100% sure about new adopter and didnt want to forget anything.

Heehee I love ya guys.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm

You also will have to let the people know that the pups leave no sooner then 8 weeks of age (more if you can afford to keep them there). So many people hear about the 5-6 week time frame that they begin to believe the lie.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 pm

oh yeah, I was planning on at the very least 8 weeks, the potential family know this and is fine with it, they even suggested more weeks if needed Smile
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Hmm regarding the fact that they wanted to litter mates. Correct me if wrong but many people told me that buying litter mates is not a good idea. Most sellers I know wouldn't sell two puppies to the same person. As for the reason I really don't know.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I couldn't imagine why that would be a problem though?
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm

I remember some breeder saying that it is better to get one first and then introduced a puppy 6 months later. He said something about dependence, that way the dogs rely on you and view you as alpha and not each other. I don't remember well. You can probably google some information on that topic. I really don't know much on it and I don't understad it myself. But I've met like 4 breeders who said they would not give more than one puppy to one family
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

It can be difficult raising littermates without them bonding really, really strongly to eachother. It can be done, but there needs to be a lot of one on one training and going on separate car rides, sleeping away from one another from time to time, etc. The fear is the puppies will bond with each other more than with people and have severe SA if they are apart.

I'll ask my mom to e-mail me her adoption contract. You are charging an adoption fee, right? I personally wouldn't give any of them away for free. That's just asking for trouble, cause people can lie and just resell the puppy. For a puppy, my mom's rescue usually charges around $200-$300. Not sure what adoption fees are like in your area. You could take the money that you've put into the whole rescue of Isis and the puppies and give the rest to the husky rescue in your area (if there is extra). See if there is a law in your state that requires anything special with selling puppies. Since you aren't really a rescue you pretty much will want to do it by the books. Here in FL you cannot sell a puppy before 8 weeks and you need to have a health certificate for each puppy, but that's about it. The health certificates are easy to get if your state requires them. Just has a vet go over the puppy and writes down if anything weird is found and shows proof of shots I believe. Pretty standard.

home - First interview with potential home for a pup Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Glad you stopped in, I was hoping you would, but yea I would love to see a copy of your moms papers so i know what mine need to look like. As for fees ive been so undecided about it, If anything I would only charge $150 which would be to cover microchip, shots, and the spay/neuter voucher. But not sure, thats also one thing I wanted to get everyone's opinions on Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I say cover vet bill and do a refundable spay and neuter fee - I would ALSO include a 20 dollar fee towards Isis' spay, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 pm

I think $150 plus money towards Isis' spay is very fair! Especially for a puppy! Also include some sort of penalty clause if they fail to comply with the spay/neuter - I'm sure Sara's mom has something in there. Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Yea I havent written it out yet but its going to be basically I will give them a credit voucher of $25 towards that puppies surgery and they have a certain amount of time to get it done or they must relinquish the puppy back to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:30 pm

oh as for Isis's spay, she is already setup to get fixed, the vet wants to wait a little bit because of her problem of not having produced milk, he doesnt want to increase the chance of her never producing it, if she doesnt within a couple weeks then she's a greenlight for her spay, I had prepaid my part of it a week or two after I got her so she's already covered for it Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 am

I have nothing much to add.. There was a topic earlier about someone getting littermates and some of the problems were brought up.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3137-ok-going-to-get-two-husky-pups-and-need-all-the-help-i-can-get

You are doing great Smile some good things here and alot of help.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am

A refund for a spay is good. Though I'd probably up the refund to $100 and not just $25. There's really no good way to go after someone for not spaying their rescue, so a $100 incentive is better than a $25 one. Also have you looked into early spay/neuter? You can find some vets who will spay a dog at 8 weeks. Rescues here have to do that with puppies, because it is against the law to adopt them out not fixed. And I think the dogs end up just fine.

home - First interview with potential home for a pup Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am

Maybe directing potential families to this website for more helpful info would be a good idea too?

Apart from that, I have nothing of value to add, so good luck with everything! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:21 am

You should make them sign a contract to join the forum Smile That way, monitoring is easy Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First interview with potential home for a pup   home - First interview with potential home for a pup Empty

Back to top Go down

First interview with potential home for a pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1