It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies and Home Size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

Male Join date : 2012-08-16

home - Huskies and Home Size Empty
PostSubject: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am

Hi,

I have been considering getting a Husky in a couple years after I get a home of my own and am planning in advance so I can have a chance. Smile

I have researched a lot on the behavior of Huskies and the problems people have had with them. While these are important things to take into concern, I have yet to find anything that has put me off of wanting a Husky in the slightest. I tend to like humans and animals due to their quirks, so the howling, digging, escape artistry, home destruction, etc. that I have read and heard about doesn't really effect me in a negative way. It just tells me that in order for the dog's safety I would need to be endlessly vigilant.

There is one thing though that I've considered, that may disqualify me as a potential owner. I am currently a college student and after I get my first degree I plan on getting a home for myself, likely an apartment type setting. I am concerned that such a setting may not be a good home for a Husky due to its need for space, plus at this point I'm not sure what that would mean yard-wise. As far as exercising goes, I'd be willing to mentally and physically exercise a Husky my entire free-time, but still I have doubts on whether that would be enough to meet the needs of the dog. Also if I do get a Husky, it would probably be a rescue either in the adolescence or adult stage.

So I'm wondering if I can get this community's thoughts on this and if there is anyone who has a less-than ideal home for a Siberian Husky and how you supplement for that.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:16 am

My dogs have done fine in a 1000sqft apartment as long as I walked them and took them to the park. We currently live in a town home with a small backyard, our house is 1250 sqft two levels and my dogs are happy as clams. Honestly from my experience (before we moved to CO my first husky had 1/2 an acre fenced in backyard) the only real convenience of having a backyard is for them going to the bathroom, along with my two liking to sunbathe or lay out when it's freezing. They always play inside in the most inconvenient location, haha.

But bottom line, as long as you give your dog adequate attention and exercise, size is not really an issue and regardless of what anyone says, a yard is not required especially when people usually suggest not to let them out unsupervised. My place is not huge and my yard is small- plus they've had no yard before- and I have zero issues with my two, they enjoy our walks, runs, bike rides, hikes, and sleep or occupy themselves otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 am

We live in a small, 2 bedroom, 800sqft duplex with 3 huskies. We don't have a fenced yard, but my dogs would rather be passed out on the couch. Size really doesn't matter as long as you keep them adequately occupied and exercised. Mine go to the dog park everyday for an hour to get their off leash running in and they're good for the day.

We rehomed Ares about 2.5 months ago now, when he was just 5 months old. He lived in a big house with a fenced yard, but his owners didn't ever exercise him, they felt that since he was a big dog, even though he was a puppy, he could keep himself occupied in the fenced yard 24/7. Well he was bored and dug out about 5 times a day. He's happier to be living in a smaller house, with just tie-outs.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 am

We have a fence yard not sure the size of the yard, we do not let them out very often without one of us going out and sitting with them, mine are diggers. I walk them most days and take them to the dog park about 4 times a week for an hour. Mine play in the yard several times a day.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 am

We have a 3month old puppy in a rental house with a backyard. As far as the exercise goes, he doesn't really exercise much on his own in the yard. Most of it comes on walks and puppy playdates at other peoples houses. The yard is more just so he has a place to potty without having to be on a leash, which is more just convenient for us.

The biggest issue I would see being in an apartment is the noise. Huskies are for the most part, big talkers. Crate training can sound like your dog is being murdered if he doesn't want to be in there. Neighbors might not appreciate that so much. But every dog is different, I just know with the noise Bode makes, an apartment would have been tough.

I forgot to add, our house is small, probably barely 1000 sq ft. It's been fine. It can feel a little full sometimes, but that's why we love our dogs, right?
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 am

I have an 8 month old and just got an 8 week old and I live in a 1300 sq ft 2 story townhome. My backyard area is only about 20x20 and I only use it for them to potty. I don’t have any issues with them, as long as you exercise them.

I will say that when I got Nikko it was a challenge even giving him 4 walks a day and play time inside, however since I got the new pup it seems they wear each other out playing so Nikko is not as crazy inside.

I also try to take him to the dog park once a week or so and to the regular parks on weekends.

I think Huskies can adapt to many different living situations as long as they are given some sort of output for their energy. The only problem with apartment living is the noise, but that will only last a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 am

I have a 900 sqft apartment and my husky does just fine. In fact, my neighbors have a malamute and black lab mix in a slightly smaller apartment than mine. As others have stated, as long as they get exercise it is no problem at all. It will be important in an apartment setting that they are crate trained instead of free to roam around the place because a destructive husky can cause serious fines. My neighbors malamute ripped up and ate a 5ft by 5ft section of their carpet and put a hole in the wall haha
Back to top Go down
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

Male Join date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. I'm happy to know this shouldn't be an issue. Can't wait to get those neighbor complaints!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I have 4 in a 1450 sqft house. I live on a corner lot so they have a big yard with a dog door but frankly they mostly just use the yard as a toilet unless there's snow. It really depends not on the size of your place or even if you have a yard but on being devoted to getting the appropriate exercise for the energy level of the dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm

We just moved into an 1,000 sqft apartment from the town home with a yard we were in and it is not a big difference plus she doesn't seem to mind. We still take her on lots of walks just as before and let her run around in the grass outside our apartment, we are in the back so lots of room. She is still a baby so we don't want to give her too much exercise and damage her joints but we do plan on taking her biking and hiking etc as she gets older. Also the dog park once she is spayed. But our walks and short runs are plenty for her.

Her biggest problem was pottying, she likes her privacy and it is still a little hard for her if a lot of people are out, she also gets distracted easy. But we are working on that.

As for the barking, Anna hates her crate and thankfully we are on a corner so the woman who lives above us was the only one we had to worry about noise wise. I just told her that honestly Anna hates her crate and we are not irresponsible we are just trying to crate train her for when school starts. I told her if she gets to loud and she can't take it to let me know, leave me a note, and we will work at it from a different angle. I think she just appreciated the fact that we let her know. Usually people are a little more understanding if you give them some heads up before hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Home Size   home - Huskies and Home Size Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies and Home Size

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1