It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

Female Join date : 2012-07-21

Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) Empty
PostSubject: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi all,
Sorry I haven't been on this site lately, so this update is so long overdue. Embarassed

My beautiful Tundra had foxtails embedded in his skin, and some had even burrowed into his body. He had surgery to remove them. I posted about this previously. Thank you to all who wished him well and were concerned.

Tundra is doing okay -- the surgery went well, he had several of those evil things embedded, five different sites on his belly with stitches where our vet had to go in and remove them. These things are nasty, they are barbed, and travel in only one direction (in). We husky owners need to be particularly vigilant, because the innocent-looking grass seeds can lodge in your dogs fur, then travel into the dog's body, and you may never even notice because of the thick fur of a husky.

Once inside the animal's body, they don't dissolve, but keep travelling, and can even get into the bloodstream or into organs.

Please google "foxtails and dogs" to learn more!

I have recently learned that foxtails are mostly a problem in the SW United States, not so much other parts of the US. I don't know about other countries.

Anyway, Tundra came through the anesthesia just fine (I was so worried about that). The receptionist at the vet hospital was laughing when she told us that Tundra had entertained them all by "singing" as he was recovering from the anesthesia.

I still worry that there are more foxtails inside of him, that have not been caught. They are a grass seed, so wouldn't be caught on an xray.

Also, I have learned, just today, that the chicken broth I have been feeding Tundra for over 8 months as part of his weight-loss diet contains ONION JUICE CONCENTRATE!!! OMG!!! This is like poison to a dog! I am crying as I write this. How could I have been so stupid as to not notice this in the ingredients before now? I feel like such a bad "mother".

Here is an article: http://suite101.com/article/onion-toxicity-in-dogs-a40917

I had even told our vet that I was giving him this, so that his dry food would be more appetizing to him, but I got the no salt added type, and she said that was fine, we just need to get the weight off him. (We feed him dry Pedigree Weight Management, 1 1/2 Cups; canned pedigree 1 or 2 Tbs only, No Salt Green beans 1/3 to 1/2 can, and the chicken broth to make it more palatable for him). When I adopted him 6 years ago, he wouldn't eat dry food at all! He was a year an a half old, and had been with two previous owners in that time. He has always been a picky eater, like a cat.

He weighs 105 lbs. He has always been quite large, for a Siberian, even when he weighed less. He has not really lost any weight over the past eight months of this diet.

Anyway, Tundra is doing just fine after his surgery for foxtail removal ...and now I want to warn everyone about the dangers of onions/garlic. I will create another thread in the next day or two about that.

I have to say this: Please read your labels, do the research, because, ultimately, WE (the caretakers) are the ones responsible for our dog's health, not the veterinarians or the dog food companies.

Thanks again to all who posted well-wishes for Tundra!

Last edited by Tundra on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Other CO dwellers, are foxtails common here?

Glad Thunder is okay!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Yeah they are common here. Both my boys have gotten them stuck in their fur, but Danzig gets them worse because of his thick coat.

This is so scary Annie! I feel your pain. Danzig likes to hang out with me when I cook and I have a bad habbit of letting onions fall to the floor while dicing. Danzig would eat them and foolishly, I didn't mind. Then my co worker told me they could be posoinous and I freaked! No more onions for him.
Back to top Go down
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Heather,

While doing some research to find an answer for you, I came across this:

http://www.ecclectica.ca/issues/2004/1/smith.asp

It seems to state that foxtails (fox tails) are all over N. America! Oh dear. Now I must keep searching, doing research.

Everyone: Do you have this grass/weed in your state or part of the world? If so, please let us know!

Back to top Go down
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Danzig's Mommy

Yes! It is scary! I was so concerned with the fat/salt content, I didn't even bother to read the small print on the label!

Also, I used to have books about natural healing for dogs (before the internet). Those books recommended GARLIC for dogs, as a natural flea repellent and natural antibiotic of sorts. I used to give my dogs a small garlic oil capsule every day because of that!!

This was 25 yrs ago. But Ohhh, I just can't think of how horrible this was, and I thought I was doing the right thing for them!!

Oh! And I just remembered! Around that same time, I worked as a veterinary assistant. when a dog wouldn't eat, the vet would give the dog chicken, with GARLIC, because they love garlic, and the dog would always eat if you put it on it's food!! Wow! Just heartbreaking!! It seems it's only recently, in the last ten or so years, that we have learned how toxic garlic and onions are for dogs!!

Last edited by Tundra on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I think we're both lucky we didn't do any harm! I'll have to watch out for the fox tails too. I didn't realize they could get embedded in the skin that bad. Will defintely be more careful while hiking.
Back to top Go down
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Danzig's Mom,
Yes! I agree!
And sorry, I was editing my response to you as you posted. Smile

I am going to start a new thread about the onion/garlic in the next day or so.

Thanks for your reply!

-- Annie (Tundra's mom)
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Glad Tundra is okay and on the mend. Smile
Just so you know, there is already a topic posted about dogs and garlic: Garlic and Dogs?
Back to top Go down
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm

@ Kim

Tks! I didn't know that! I really need to research and read every thread here, because this site is so full of information. Tks for the info! I do remember many yrs ago when "the experts" said garlic is okay and even GOOD for dogs.

Still, I think everyone needs to read new info about this subject, because from what I understand, even small amounts of thiosulphate (the chemical in garlic and onions that harms dogs) can build up over time and cause damage to the red blood cells.

I appreciate your input, thanks!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tundra
Puppy
Puppy
Tundra

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm

I will start a new thread now, on the subject of the toxicity of garlic, onions and thiosulphate ...this is toxic to dogs, but please do your own research to learn!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Those foxtails are EVERYWHERE here in New Mexico! We've always had to watch out for them also when we take our dogs out.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am

Wikipedia has a great little piece on the foxtail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtail_(diaspore)
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Annie,
Glad tundra is healing up. As far as food goes have you looked at welness core grainfree reduced fat kibble? I used it on sierra and melissa and claudia have used it as well to get weight off our sibes with out reducing the amount of food we feed. Its really great a bit $$ but if you do some internet shoping you can find a good deal.

PostSubject: Re: Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)   Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!!  (and Onions are Poisonous!!!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Update on Tundra, Embedded Foxtails & Surgery!!! (and Onions are Poisonous!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1