It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. Empty
PostSubject: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 pm

What would you put on a crate door for a dog that can open it up from the inside? Can I put some lock or hikers clip on it?

Last edited by norbreedslove on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 pm

I put combo locks on Kale's, only because it's in our backyard. Works great Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:36 pm

At first I thought it said "can open it"...then I finished reading it...

We use clips from walmart that resemble the ones on the leashes. work good and are easy to use.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm

We use carribeaners...hikers clips I guess you could call them. Smile

Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 am

So this didn't work! She gets out from underneath. I live in an apartment so there isn't many places I can keep her confined. Other than my bedroom, garage or crate. She has a drid up cut on her snout from trying to get out. Luckily she won't need to be confined until Tuesday. She a separation anxiety chewer. She doesn't really get destructive like on the walls or anything else. Lets say she will chew up like a moving box but nothing inside. I know it is not an exercise thing. She gets 4-5 miles a day! grrr. i need help. I would have to move everything out of my bedroom that she can get to. This is driving me insane.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 pm

What is in the crate with her? What other crate training techniques have you used with her?

Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Water, (but she played and knocked it over everytime). Lots and lots of bones and kong toys. She has toys in there. I have even tried putting her in the bathroom and she chewed the handle on the cabinet. I replaced it, haha. She has never done this until recently. I think going from an outdoor dog for a year and coming an indoor dog messed her up?
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm

We have this problem with cj. We have had to modify her crate. We put bolts and washers anywhere the crate can open.( on all four sides the top and bottom). For the door we use master locks that open with a key. She cannot get out now! But it took about three weeks of putting her in it everyday for her to calm down and actually relax while in it. We give her a Kong and a marrow bone every day and a calming pheramone collar. At first she got a benadryl to make it a calm place to be. She used to rub her nose on the crate too but now is much more calm and works on her Kong while we are gone. We learned that consistency is the best route. So she goes into the crate even on weekends when we are home. Sometimes just for a few minutes or to do a quick grocery shop. She has a harder time during the week if we skip a day. I know how frustrating this is but it will get better! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Well she has been crate trained since she was 8 weeks old and she is 2 now. This issue just started a week ago. It drives me insane. I am trying locks and zip ties now . I have today and tomorrow off so she won't be in a crate. I am trying Tuesday. She will be in for 5 hours, then out for 4 more hours, then in again for 4 hours. We will see how this goes! Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:49 pm

If she's been crate trained just fine before, it's highly unlikely that it was some transition from outside to inside unless this was a recent change? I feel like I can't help because I'm not getting the whole story...

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm

This is the whole story lol. This is why it is frustrating! She never has done this before until this week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.   Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR. Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate question (not sure where to put this) UPDATE! SO FRUSTRATED. GRR.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1