It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chewing on own tail?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Chewing on own tail? Empty
PostSubject: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 am

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but the dogs I grew up with never had long tails (docked Brittanies). Bode seems to chew on his tail A LOT. Especially on the tip. When he does it I can actually hear him scraping the bone at the end. He used to have a white tip on his tail, but he has chewed the hair short on the end so you can barely tell. He doesn't do this on the rest of his body at all. Is this normal?

Here's a pic of the tip of his tail
Chewing on own tail? Tail10
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:35 am

Freya chases hers adn when she's excited she chews her tail nad back feet.

If I stroke her tail she wil lunge for it and start to chew on it. It's a toy thats attached to her body.

If he isnt making it blead or it's not causing him any pain I think it should be okay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 am

Our first husky did this. We tried to figure out why for years! The best we came up with was that it was a "nervous" habit like humans biting our nails. We think the problem was worse when she did not get enough exercise or attention. She would ingest the hairs because we would never find evidence that she actually chewed her tail...except the missing tail! Which, as you know, looks awful!! We would get her to stop by spritzing her tail with bitter apple chew deterrent for a few days. But then we would forget and she would gnaw it up again.

Just to be on the safe side, you should check for fleas. Over the years we would blame it on a flea, on unrinsed out bath soap, dry skin... I really don't think it was ever any of the above! As someone said a few days ago, she just needed a job and when we did not provide one, she became self-employed (as a hair stylist!)

Last edited by SabakaMom on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Zoey chews her own tail, she finally stopped, but it has never grown back the same.

Our vet said it was because she's bored in her kennel and not getting enough exercise..We upped her time at the dog park, and gave her bones or kongs in her kennel with her.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 pm

I've seen it on several sibes. It can be a few different things; they chew the tail because they're anxious, bored, or nervous. My pup's dad does it as well because he has a lot of anxiety. Poor guy has a chewed tail, and his owner has tried nearly everything. He's just a nut case lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chewing on own tail?   Chewing on own tail? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chewing on own tail?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1