It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Constant crying at training class

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

Constant crying at training class Empty
PostSubject: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:46 pm

We have a 4.5 month old husky and we attended our first training class this weekend. Ranger cried/whinned the entire class (except for when it was playtime outside!) because he was on his leash and unable to play with the other dogs. He was so worried/concerned with the other dogs that he would not do hardly any of the training activities. I was mortified the entire class but made sure to stay possitive.

After class I asked the instructer what she suggested me to do for the next class. She would like me to sit by the door and everytime he whines to step out until he stops and re-enter the class. While I understand this, I am leaving the class and not being able to hear anything she is saying during the time I am in the other room which to me is counter-productive.

I would like to try to work on this before we have the next class this weekend. We do not really have any friends that we can practice on with their dogs. What/where do you guys suggest we could take him (we do have a local dog park I could keep him leashed) and how do you suggest we go about making the crying/whining stop? I was thinking of using the word quiet but how do you get him to actually BE quiet?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be fantastic!!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 pm

I have the same issue. My girl has no attention span when she wants to play. For me, it's easier to work on because we live with two other dogs so I always have the chance to practice with her. The goal is just to show them that if they want to play, first they have to listen. Is your dog park off-leash? If so, I'd suggest keeping him on leash and practicing something like "sit." Whenever he finally decides to listen (because no, he won't listen right away in the beginning), let him off to go play for a little while. Eventually he'll pay attention to you no matter what distractions are around. It also helps to have really good treats he doesn't get often, but I wouldn't suggest this in a crowded dog park. That'll work more at home with someone trying to distract him or even just out on a walk where there's other people, dogs, and cars.

My girl's the same age and I'm just starting to see the improvements on this. For example we were at the vet the other day and she really wanted to go play with the pit bull puppy. But I demanded her attention and made her sit before she could say hi. It took some time and I did have to step right into her line of sight, but eventually she sat. I also use hand signals and she responds to those a lot more than verbal cues so sometimes I just have to stick my hand right in front of her face and not move it until she obeys.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Our trainer told everyone to get a squirt bottle, and when the dogs started acting up in class we'd give them a zap in the face with the "enough" command. It worked really well, and for the most part we can just say enough and Ghost quits doing whatever it was she was doing. Lulu (our Cocker) on the other hand, doesn't quite grasp it...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Constant crying at training class 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Our trainer told everyone to get a squirt bottle, and when the dogs started acting up in class we'd give them a zap in the face with the "enough" command.
Note: Dogs who love water think this means you're playing with them. Or at least my mom's lab (water dogs. gotta love em) does. Callie won't even go outside in the rain so it would probably work on her. Guess it all depends on the dog. It's worth a try though! If it doesn't work for your dog, then it doesn't work. Sadly, it's all trial and error.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Mine did the same thing and I understand how embarrassing it can be.

We didn't really do anything to stop the behavior, other than just ignoring him. The trainer laughed at first and explained to the class this is normal husky behavior, but after that everyone stopped paying attention and eventually he gave up.
Back to top Go down
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm

He loves water so that is out of the question. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue!! I was just home for lunch and did all the exercises they wanted us to practice at home and he's an angel with them... just when there are other dogs around!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Are you exercising before class? As we all say a tired husky is a good husky. Maybe if you wear him out before class then he will have less desire to play. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Could some of the crying be excitement? Whenever we take Bandit to the park, he has kind of a freakout where he'll cry like we're hurting him (we're not) and run around all crazy on the leash.
Back to top Go down
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah he is excited he just wants to go up to all the other dogs and sniff and play!

We will walk him before and make sure he is tired and see if that helps. I thought about doing that but worried that he would be too tired but anything is better than having that happen again!
Back to top Go down
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 pm

~ UPDATE ~

We walked Ranger for about 40 minutes right before class to wear him out. We left the room a few times and that's all it took for him to understand he needed to be quite to be in the room. I was SO PROUD when we left I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs!!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Aw good! I'm so glad it worked out for you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Constant crying at training class   Constant crying at training class Empty

Back to top Go down

Constant crying at training class

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1