It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

leave it command tantrums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

leave it command tantrums Empty
PostSubject: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

So we're working on leave it. put dakota in sit then stay walk a few paces away and place a treat and tell him leave it. he won't stay in sit, he rolls over and wines and talks and wiggles and flops and tries to aproach the treat from differetn sides . after having to pick up the treat so he can't get it 2 or 3 times then he will sit and "leave it" for about 5 seconds then i release him so he can get it, or else he'd never get the treat. How long does it generally take for this lesson to sink in?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:05 pm

ummm your talking about a Husky here lol! they KNOW what to do, the trick is to not let them slid when they start this up. i should get a video of Jack when i am giving them a treat of raw chicken, man does he go crazy when he damn well knows he is not getting it till he settles down! I just wait till he does Razz

Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 am

Also, a rule of thumb that's worked fabulously with Steele, don't reward with the same treat you're telling him to leave alone. He'll learn that the thing on the ground isn't as important as what's in your hand (since that's where the second treat will be coming from) and not only will it keep his attention on you, but you shouldn't have any more wiggling to get to the treat he can see once he figures out THAT isn't the reward anymore. That's just the object of 'leave it'.

I trained Steele this way and can quite literally call him off anything. A running squirrel. Another dog. People (because he just wants to love EVERYONE). Cats. Rabbits. Lizards. Everything. Why? Because when he hears 'leave it' he looks at ME for the reward and not the object he's been trained that he can get later when you release him.

Just a thought to chew over that might help you ;D
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah usually you don't want them taking the treat in the beginning of leave it, you'll want to reward with a 2nd treat. And "leave it" should mean forever until I pick it up and give it to you. That's how we've worked it

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:18 pm

wow thanks guys. that makes total sense and i can't believe it didn't occur to me lol will be making some changes on our next training session.
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Tyrion caught on within 2 minutes when I used this video. In his second session I kind of tortured him by putting some jerky treats on the top of his paws and told him to leave it. His look was priceless.

Of course, he got a better reward for leaving the treats alone

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 pm

oh man I remember those days.....It was mostly with the command wrong. She get mad at us. lol
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 am

The way that Ava's trainer taught leave it was really simple and works great. Leave it means that she never gets it. Period. I'll give her something better if she leaves it alone and she knows to look to me for that.

I taught her a "wait" command that's similar to what you were doing. I drop a treat and tell her to wait, and she essentially has to leave it until I give her the release word. Maybe try differentiating between the commands that way?
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

since i started using a different treat from the thing i wanted him to leave he's mastered it as much as a dog his age can. last night we had chinese food and my plate had a bunch of spair rib bones on it. told him once to leave it and he didnt touch them. He complained he couldn't have them and gave me that sad eyes look lol but he didn't even try to take them. So proud of him Smile granted i did not torchure hi long though i picked up the plate and gave him a bacon treat.... he was in heaven lol He loves bacon more than i do haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: leave it command tantrums   leave it command tantrums Empty

Back to top Go down

leave it command tantrums

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1