It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Titus killed a tiny poodle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Titus killed a tiny poodle Empty
PostSubject: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm

We were at training just now. Titus was tethered to a bench. The Poodle walked towards him and all of a sudden he was on the poodle. I don't know what happened. He never done that before. I dragged him off the poodle and they rush it to the vet. It did not survive the bite. I don't know what to do now. The owner left. I'm still waiting for the training director. I'm frighten.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Oh no that is so scary! Hang in there!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear Titus did that! Sad
Do you know if it was an aggressive bite or just trying to play?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 pm

WIshing you guys the best on this issue. I would talk to the trainer and try and get some of your questions answered and help in training him to handle small animals..

I would have a lot of questions and wanting some kind of direction on this matter.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 am

Sorry to hear that you have to go through this! Hoping for the best...
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 am

We don't know why he did that. He was always afraid of men, that's his only problem. Even the director trainer said he is not aggressive. They will probably declare him as a dangerous dog now. The problem is whether they will stop at that or euthanize him. I don't know what to do now. He has always been such a good boy. I will be moving to Malaysia on January. Should I ship him there earlier before I get an order to euthanize him?
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:27 am

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this hapeened.
I'm thinking the same thing you are, if you are moving there and you have a place for him to stay perhaps it is a good idea to get him away from there asap.

Sometimes it's hard to say why our animals do the things they do. For overything you've said about him, he is the farthest thing from aggressive.

Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And I'm hoping for the best outcome for all involved.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 am

It depends on the poodle's family now. I think that poodle is only 3-4 months old. The council is close on weekends. Depends on whether the poodle's family will report to the council or not. The trainer won't contact her for me as she is too depressed. But he sent her an email about the circumstances stating that I am will compensate for all her losses. I am always a responsible owner. Never let him off leash. Training every week and short evenings sessions everyday. Put in on a short leash in crowded areas etc.
I also checked with a pet transport company. The fastest I can get him out of the country is 10 days. I feel really bad now but I don't want him to be put down because he is "out of character" the one time. He has been with me since I got him. Always good in obedience, just frighten of men because he was mistreated by his breeder when he was a puppy. I don't want to imagine how am I going to survive without him. Titus is the one that makes me happy whenever I'm sad.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:17 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm not sure what to tell youto do. I have some questions about what happened, were you with titus on the bench? Was the poodle leashed and walking toward titus or past him. Was this inside or outside?
I'm not sure of you laws ther but can u get in trouble for shipping him off?

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 am

This happened in a dog park where we have the training. It's our first day there after half a year. I was planning to train Lycan (basic obedience) from 9-10am and Titus (intermediate) from 10.15-11.15am. I was about 10 steps away training Lycan. The poodle was leashed and walking towards Titus. The leash that I used to tether Titus is only 2 1/2 feet long. He can only sit, drop and move a step.
I'm not sure about the law either. Solicitors are all close on a weekend. But I don't have a choice if they report this to the council. Chances are very slim. I talked to the husky club people. They told me given the chance, ship him off. Couple years ago, a Malamute on a leash was growl at by a off leash poodle. The Mal killed the poodle. This was obviously provoked but the Mal was ordered to be destroyed. I reckon the worst they can do with me shipping him off is a fine. Also, if I ship him before we get any order, they can't put anything on me. But if I ship him after they gave me the euthanize order, it's gonna be hard. I don't know what to do now. I just want to keep him alive.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 am

Yikes! I'm so sorry this happened!

Personally, if you can have someone in Malaysia take him until you move there, I'd get him out ASAP. I don't think they'll be able to do anything if he's out of country
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 4:21 am

This is such a difficult time for you. I cant even imagine the stres you're under right now.
Unfortunatelly I dont know the laws for this kind of thing either.

Do you know if the poodle provoked Titus?
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 am

We don't really know for sure. Everything happened so fast. The trainer, a women said that it was unprovoked but she is 10-15metres away. She also said that Titus did not show signs of aggression before it happened. I know she doesn't like big dogs and I have complained about her once to the training director because of her lack of interest in communicating with big dogs. I was about 10 steps away so I did not see it. But there were other dogs beside the poodle. My question is what make Titus attack that poodle when they were other dogs there too. I have him assessed by the training director before starting class there again and he told me that Titus is really frighten of men and encourage me to go for classes.

My mum is in Malaysia. She can take care of him as she is really experience with big dogs.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:12 am

If got forbid you do get called up on this, is there any way to get him assessed by an animal behaviourist and get him tested to prove he isnt agressive?

Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 am

This absolutely breaks my heart! I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. I am not sure about the laws where you are but I know here in the States where I live, it sometimes seems like they are looking for reason to put innocent dogs down. I would try and send him off ASAP, because I would be terrified of the outcome.

I don't know how much it would help, but is there any way to get in contact with the other dogs owners so maybe you can at least plea your case. I can imagine their pain, but it doesn't seem like enough to make someone else suffer. This isn't an "eye for an eye" kind of deal!! Though, I have no clue about the people so that may not even be the best choice.

I will say a prayer for you and your baby, an for hope that the other owner has some sort of heart or reasonable feeling.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 am

The training director is a famous behaviorist here. But he suggest putting him down. Probably because he is the one that tell me to bring Titus to class and a dog died in his school. He is not gonna play with his famous dog training school name. After being sad the whole day I'm angry now. That training director is the one that said Titus is fine and can do normal training. He just fears men. After the incident, he said euthanizing him is probably the best choice.
It's not like I'm not a responsible owner. I know he is frighten. That's why I had him assessed two weeks before going to class. I also tethered him on a really short leash far away just in case he gets frighten. The training director is not letting me have the women's number and he is not contacting her too. He said he will send her an email. I also sent him an apology letter to forward to the women. What if she doesn't read her email? I'm scared at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:25 am

I cant believe that, how selfish of him. If he loves dogs so much he wouldnt care about his name and do everything in his power to prove his student innocent.

You are very much a responsible owner. Never doubt that.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 am

I understand completely at the fact that you are now mad. I find myself getting a wee bit aggravated just from reading, so I cannot even imagine what is going through your mind. I just think it is crap that he thinks putting Titus down is the answer, when obviously it is not since he has never shown this behavior before!! I also don't blame the trainer for wanting to keep his training schools name out of the mud but recommending that you put your dog down because of a mistake he mad. In my honest opinion I think this is his fault and that he should be held accountable, as well the owner of the poodle.

I personally do not let my dog around another dog that is unsupervised because they are dogs, and you NEVER know what they are capable of. You now know that first hand, but the owner of the poodle shouldn't have even given Titus the chase not knowing him. This is not completely your fault or anything like that, so don't beat yourself up over it though I know its hard. I also think that its crap that you are not able to be in contact with the owner of the poodle. It would be like getting into a car wreck that involves a fatality and never being about to contact the family. THAT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN. Its a tragedy but it still doesn't give this "training" the right to untimely dictate ever move that happens now. This frustrates me so much even having to write this!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:42 am

KotaBear wrote:

I personally do not let my dog around another dog that is unsupervised because they are dogs, and you NEVER know what they are capable of. You now know that first hand, but the owner of the poodle shouldn't have even given Titus the chase not knowing him.

This 100%.
Even when a dog is supervised I am always hesitant to walk past it with or without Freya.
Freya is getting really heavy now, but when ever I walk past other dogs I pick her up out of reach of the other dog(s), whether they're leashed or not. An unleashed Chihuahua was running at us the other day, barking and snarling out the front of it's yard. I picked up Freya and got away as quickly as possible.

I dont understand why the owners of the poodle didnt give Titus a wide birth.
1. their dog is a pup and you dont want it bounding playfully towards a dog they dont know.
2.They dont know the temperment of Titus.
3. Thier dog is tiny, yours is large (To me that in itself would make me want to give the dog it's own space).
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 am

Quote :
I dont understand why the owners of the poodle didnt give Titus a wide birth.
1. their dog is a pup and you dont want it bounding playfully towards a dog they dont know.
2.They dont know the temperment of Titus.
3. Thier dog is tiny, yours is large (To me that in itself would make me want to give the dog it's own space).

You couldn't be more right. Even though we don't know what the poodle owner has done, I think they need to be held accountable just as well because Titus was leashed, and they took the chance of letting her tiny puppy around an unknown dog WHO WAS IN TRAINING CLASSES!! How do they know what the classes are for, since they could very well be for that exact reason! My only fear is that if the poodles owner is feeling spiteful or something of that nature that no one is going to justify or reason with things like we do, and end up possibly making a another dog punished. Dogs are not like children.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 am

Wow that is really a complicated situation.
First of all if the trainer is a behaviourist and he said Titus is fine and now the only thing he has to say is putting him down, proves to me that he is not good at wha the is doing.

I don´t the laws from where you live, but if this would happened in Germany I would highly recommend to get him out of the country if you want him to live, because around here they don´t ask many questions in such situations, the dog gets classified as dangerous and will be put down in 95 precent of all cases.
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 am

This is so scary! I think I would send him to your mom if I was you. I agree that the poodle's owner should never have taken her dog that close to Titus. I can't even begin to imagine you are going through. You did everything you could do and more.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:29 am

My partner found a solicitor just in case. We will talk to him on Monday. But one thing for sure I'm not going to blame the poodle owner for letting the poodle near a tethered dog. She may get spiteful and wants Titus dead.
I save all the emails the training director sent me. Things like I booked a private session with him to assess Titus fearful behaviour and he informing me the next available class to bring Titus to group training and offering me 10% off for Lycan's training.
I will go in to a regular pet store that we always go to tomorrow to get Titus a muzzle and some witness. The lady and the workers there know that Titus is a frighten boy and were always good with the dogs that come in to the pet store. Hope that helps if the poodle owner decides to sue us for more money. I've already told the training director that I will compensate for all her losses.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:33 am

I'm very sorry to hear what you have been through, I'm sure this is a very scary situation for you and a fear of all owners I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 am

You said Titus was tethered(Tied up), Was the poodle on leash and wandered over to him, In that case you would not be at fault because the other dog was off leash and the other owner was the irresponsible one. I am so sorry this happened, and I think part of the reason is the Husky's strong prey drive, if Titus was not raised around small dogs he probably saw him as prey and not another dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Titus killed a tiny poodle   Titus killed a tiny poodle Empty

Back to top Go down

Titus killed a tiny poodle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next