It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can a dog be train to walk himself?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Can a dog be train to walk himself? Empty
PostSubject: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

OKay first of all I'M NOT NUTS AND WONT EVEN DARE TO TRY TO TRAIN SAYA TO WALK HERSELF SINCE SHE IS A HUSKY!

Anyhow almost every morning when I'm walking saya I see this lab retriever by himself. He always sits and waits for the lights to change. He goes to the park and stays there for a while. and then just roams around. I don't think it is a stray since people see it everyday and animal control would've gotten him already IMO. It is a well trained dog and it seems to know what he is doing and where he is going(never seen him cross a street when a car is approaching.) He always walks himself in the morning. My sister told me she saw a similar dog once and she followed it around to see if the dog was lost but that after 10 minutes or so the owner appeared and called him inside to a building that was a bit far from the starting location. Anyways have you heard of a dog ever walking himself a service animal or something perhaps?
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm

NEVER heard of that! That's crazy. I did read about a cat using public transportation somewhere over a span of a few years, though...
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

There is a GSD in my apartment complex that can let himself outside the sliding glass door to go potty and will let himself back in. He is extremely smart but that's as close to this as I can think of. I know you said you think he has a home but maybe he got lost from his family and these are the places they used to take him? Just throwing an idea out there. Hahah. I have never heard of something like this either.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 pm

There is a lab that lives near me that hold it's own leash when walking beside the owner. When the owner get another new lab puppy, this older lab would hold the puppy's leash and walk. But that is only under the presence of the owner. Never heard about walking itself/
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:56 pm

if only huskies wud do he same. self walk. mine is just too needy. wud never walk himself. hrmmm..
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:07 pm

anastasiya'smom wrote:
There is a GSD in my apartment complex that can let himself outside the sliding glass door to go potty and will let himself back in. He is extremely smart but that's as close to this as I can think of. I know you said you think he has a home but maybe he got lost from his family and these are the places they used to take him? Just throwing an idea out there. Hahah. I have never heard of something like this either.

If I had a lever handle on my back door, Ziva would probably be able to do this. If she wants inside while we are eating or cleaning, she'll sit there and wrap her paws around the knob trying to open it lol.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Well this handle isn't a lever handle. It's just a normal sliding glass door handle, like one of those you just push sideways. I mean I guess it wouldn't be that hard but still. Haha.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

My first foster, a GSD named Molly, she would open doors in the house and all the knobs are smooth and round. First time I caught her doing it, I was impressed and could only say, good girl
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:52 pm

My dad's Airedale used to walk to the field at the corner 3 houses away to do his business. We walked him, by if he got out of the yard he'd take a stroll, he would always come back, but the dummy would climb up the stairs and wait by the front door to be let in....next door.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I have a neighbor who says his aktia will walk himself around the block by himself. of course the dog is about 10 years old. lol!

My brother-in-law past lab used to jump the fence to poo in the neighbors yard not in his yard. refused to go in his yard

Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:00 pm

That is insanely cool, i have never heard of a dog doing that.

Although, i did used to have a turtle that would take walks by itself. This turtle essentially chose our house when my mom was a child, showed up on the doorstep, grandparents brought him back out, showed up on our doorstep, until eventually they decided to keep him. So he would be a combination indoor/outdoor turtle, and about once a week he would take a walk around the block (he could fit under the chainlink fence gate). They had this turtle until i was a young child. Unfortunately, one day during one of his walks a person saw him walking on the street and decided to put him in the woods not realizing that it was not a wild turtle (i.e., didn't have worndown nails, etc).
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Years and years ago I was at work and got a phone call from some lady saying that she found my 5 month old lab in the dog food aisle at the grocery store. Apparently he had gotten out (even though the boyfriend was at home and swears the gate was shut) and walked the 1/2 mile to the grocery store. The lady had taken him back to her house, and he was making himself right at home in her pool.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

There was a lab that used to walk himself to town everyday once he got old. I saw him every couple of days while I was riding the bus to school. I'm not sure if went home on his own or not though
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm

The professors whose lab I work in at school had a pug that would take himself on a walk if he'd get out. They have a 2 mile loop that they would walk on a regular basis, so whenever the dog got loose he'd take himself on a two mile walk around the neighborhood loop and then sit at the front door and asked to be let in.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Our husky/ mal mix Tim used to walk down the road to the creek every morning with his pet duck and take a swim, then walk back home. You could set a clock by him. I think some dogs just develop a routine, just like a person, and if they happen to have the freedom, and aren't inclined to wander and explore, it just becomes a habit. But I doubt it is something you could train them to do.
Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Mschwax wrote:
Our husky/ mal mix Tim used to walk down the road to the creek every morning with his pet duck and take a swim, then walk back home. You could set a clock by him. I think some dogs just develop a routine, just like a person, and if they happen to have the freedom, and aren't inclined to wander and explore, it just becomes a habit. But I doubt it is something you could train them to do.

Oh my goodness that is the cutest thing ever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a dog be train to walk himself?   Can a dog be train to walk himself? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can a dog be train to walk himself?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1