It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

refuses to go home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 am

After a long walk usually about 30 min. or more AND play time in the river, Daisy will refuse to go home.

When she sees that we are headed towards the car she will lay down and not move. I've tried to use treats to get her to follow me to the car but she is smart so instead of being tricked she will actually turn her head away from the treat.

I also tried to pick her up and carry her to the car but she will bite my hands and refuse to let me grab hold of her body. She is also almost 40 pounds now and I am petite, so it is hard for me to even carry her!

I have also tried to just pull her and drag her to the car but she will get up and start backing away and pulling and biting the leash. She actually got out of her harness once. I have tightened up her harness but am still scared she will back out of it again. I bought a new harness called the "Easy Walk" I haven't tried it out on her yet because it is still a little too big for her. (I bought a size big enough for when she turns 1, so I wouldn't have to buy another one later since she is almost 1.)

I am out of ideas, I would even try to continue the walk and sometimes she would follow me back towards the track but when we get back around near the car she will lay down again and not budge! I can't spend hours walking her because I've got a job and other things to do too.

What do I need to do to get her to go home when it's time to go?

Here's a video of her not wanting to go to the park. lol.

Last edited by vue_yee on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am

Welcome to the world of huskies. Saya used to do this to me when she was younger when she saw me put the harness on she would throw herself on the floor and refused to move. This happened when I wanted to take her outside and she knew it was hot out there she wouldnt budge. Maybe it is hot in your car. Although probably she knows that you are going home and she doesnt want to return home She wants to play more
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 am

Maybe lie to her and tell her you are going to see a KITTY!

I seriously do things like that all the time! My guy is treat motivated, though, so at least I can bribe him to do things with those. To get him to come back it the house, it is more effective for me to yell, "I've got treats!" than "Sabaka, come!"

They are stubborn! Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Every morning Q and I go for our walk. He knows that once we come back, I'm leaving the house for the day. Although he's a good boy while home alone, he still hates to be left. So when our walk is over and we make the turn back into our driveway, he lays down in the grass and refuses to budge. I too, have to bribe him with treats. These dogs are so smart!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I bribe mine. Every time he comes inside he gets treats so he associates coming inside with getting a reward.

Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 pm

"Get in or I'ma leave you here" works sometimes :-D
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think she doesn't like the hot car. She even refuses to leave the house now too. Even though it isn't hot in the car or outside she still refuses to go. I do bribe her with treats and have an excited tone of voice and lie to her about kittys and point to things to get her to get up but she still doesn't, lol.

I really wish she would get over this bad habit because she needs her walk everyday. Even if we don't take her for a walk for long periods of time she is always very calm and sleeps all day long. (like when we had her spayed and she couldn't go for walks for 1 week.)

If I just don't walk her until she wants to go is that bad because I know that they are very active dogs but Daisy doesn't seem too active for a husky. LOL, she can sleep all day long.
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:00 pm

vue_yee wrote:
I know that they are very active dogs but Daisy doesn't seem too active for a husky. LOL, she can sleep all day long.

Wanna trade? LOL ..

After I had Hannah spayed, she was groggy for a day or two but after that, omg.. she was going crazy from not being able to go out for walks. She almost busted her stitches at one point because after we got back in from going to the bathroom she started running around and jumped on the couch! Maybe it's just a phase.. enjoy it while it lasts!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Personal Opinion- If she's resorting to biting hands and arms when being touched when she refuses to do something that isn't harmful to her, a physical correction is something I would consider. A gentle, firm grip of the muzzle, a long stare in there eyes, and a low, growly voice usually does the trick with Kale. Now all I have to say when he doesn't want to do something is "Don't make me come get you!" and he briskly trots over (except the dog park, it's a lost cause there lol) Bribing with treats when they are resorting to nipping, I think, is rewarding the behavior. I'd rather nip it in the bud. (wow- no pun intended Rolling Eyes )

Leash biting is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Kale did it once, once, and I put the fear of humanity in him.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:33 am

Maybe as of right now I just won't walk her since she refuses to leave the house and eventually when she's tired and bored enough of being inside she might want to go for walks again.

We do our best to refrain from having to use physically correction but we do use it sometimes.

But overall I'm okay if she's okay with it to just stay inside. Laughing
Maybe when winter is here she will be more willing to go for walks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

refuses to go home Empty
PostSubject: Re: refuses to go home   refuses to go home Empty

Back to top Go down

refuses to go home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1