It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need lots of help...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itzEMILY
Newborn
Newborn
itzEMILY

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Need lots of help... Empty
PostSubject: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Excuse the language. Just really stressing out.

So yesterday in the afternoon, as I was in the bathroom, my dog dug into my bag and pulled out half a brownie and ate it. It's the size of like half a palm. The thing is, it is a tiger brownie, not your regular chocolate brownie, and I have no clue what is in it, the lady I bought it from didn't know either!
Then as I was cleaning that up, he ate my cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.
Later that day he went for my goldfish crackers.

Yesterday he slept like all day. Drank & went outside normally. He just slept A LOT.
Today, however, he has been extremely exhausted. He has gone #2 twice, but very small quantities. The weird thing is when he's out on his walks, he will sit down and cry, sometimes even lie down. And when he went #2, he was half sitting and crying the whole time. I am guessing he is in a lot of pain.
He also lays down every few steps, he seems very exhausted.
Also, he is leaking urine. When he sleeps or lays around, there's a wet spot afterwards and I am pretty sure it is urine.

The past 24 hours have been awful for him and for me. Is there anything I should be particularly worried about? I am going to take him to the vet as soon as my dad can get me with the car.
I know better than to have food laying around, just exam time has been a mess.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey, I just looked up what traditional Tiger Brownies are made of, and it still has a fair amount of chocolate in it. I don't think cucumbers or tomatoes would be a cause for concern, and I'm not too sure about the goldfish crackers - how many did he have?

My first inkling would be to take the dog to the vet, but I'm sure there are others here with wayyyy more experience than I have with huskies in general. I'd also be worried that the lady that sold them to you didn't know what was in there...?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Back to top Go down
gertjan.vdk
Newborn
Newborn
gertjan.vdk

Male Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello Cruze,

I'm sure that you, like most dog owners, aware of chocolate's toxicity in pets. Especially with dogs. Bittersweet and baking chocolate, the kinds found in kitchens (and more than likely your brownie) have even higher health risks than the average candy bar. If a dog eats chocolate, call a veterinarian immediately. He or she should be able to provide you with advice on what to do until you can take your dog there.

Thankfully, it looks like you're already going to the vet as soon as your transportation arrives. All there's left now is taking care of your dog's emotional/mental needs. I understand the stress that comes with a situation like this but try to remain a calm and assertive pack leader. Dogs are very keen animals when it comes to sensing energy and when their pack leader is stressed, they become stressed!

I hope that this was at least in some way of help to you and that many more replies may provide you with any advice you might need!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:56 am

I agree with Gertjan, you should call your vet or an emergency vet. There are things they could have suggested you to do immediately if you can't rush him to the vet for lack of transportation. Now that this has happened and you know he gets into things, take some time to research what is poisonous to dogs and how to handle them so you can react when it happens. I hope Cruze recovers quickly!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Yeah I would really call your vet ASAP and explain the situation. You are well past the point in which you could have induced vomiting to help limit the toxins in the system.

Added to the fact that your pup is acting lethargic is a pretty big indication that they aren't doing so well.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner... I hope he is doing better today, but unless there is a very noticeable improvement I would usher him to the vet as fast as I could.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
itzEMILY

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 am

All good! he was constipated because his anal glands were blocked. I think that's what caused the infection; thus the leaking. He was given some antibiotics and in a day, it has already stopped!

And happy energetic dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 pm

That's good to hear! I gotta ask, is the picture of your avatar Cruze? With a bow? Lol!
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Glad to hear everything worked out well! Smile
Back to top Go down
itzEMILY
Newborn
Newborn
itzEMILY

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:56 pm

26nikita wrote:
That's good to hear! I gotta ask, is the picture of your avatar Cruze? With a bow? Lol!

Yup! he's a little boy, the bow is normally his bowtie but I was just screwing around one day and put it on his ear. He was cool with it, surprisingly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need lots of help...   Need lots of help... Empty

Back to top Go down

Need lots of help...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1