It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions Empty
PostSubject: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Hiya all,

So I've been doing some research and I want to switch Juneau from Taste of the Wild (Smoked Salmon ALS) to GL's Artisan (Lamb) & Pureformance (Lamb). I'd rotate between the two GL's every now and then. I also want to add Acana Pacifica to the rotation. She does well on ToTW, but I'd like to change because I worry about another recall with them. :l

Is there any type of gradual change that I should be doing when I buy the GL's (I'll still be on ToTW for a little bit, then buy Acana a few weeks later once they get back in stock)?

This is probably what I'll do ... Feed ToTW in the morning and GL's in the evening.

Then when I buy Acana, I'll gradually add it to the ToTW until ToTW runs out.

Does this sound like a reasonable rotation? I don't want to upset her tummy! I've heard good things about GL's & Acana. I'm willing to pay for it.

Or should I just stick with ToTW because she does well on it? So confusing! lol. I just want to feed her the best that I can. I can't afford Ziwipeak or raw, but I want to get as close as I can without hurting my budget.

Thank ya. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I was originally wary of Taste of the Wild, but many people seem to have their huskies on it and honestly if your pup does best on it then I'd stick with it. You could always try out GL's Artisan by mixing it in a little bit at a time and after a full switch wait a couple weeks and see the difference. Whichever food gives her the healthiest coat, stool, etc I'd stick with.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 pm

I think your plan sounds fine, Jackie. I don't do any gradual switching when it comes to freeze-dried or dehydrated but I do when it comes to changing kibble. There's also nothing wrong with mixing the Grandma Lucy's and kibble in a single meal. I do that with my dogs, mix GL with kibble or cooked meat or canned or raw.

I strongly advocate rotation diets so exposing your dog to as many different good foods as you can that they do well on. I would recommend GL or HK over kibble any day so I would definitely consider a mix of GL and kibble to be better than kibble only.

I have long been against anything made by Diamond but I will admit I decided to try the Nature's Domain Turkey formula from Costco just for kicks and grins. Geez, I couldn't believe the results I got with my sibe on it. He is doing AMAZING on the Nature's Domain turkey, but then again he has always done best on turkey based kibble. He's doing better on ND turkey than he does on Orijen or TOTW or Nature's Variety or countless other foods I've tried. The only thing he's done better on as far as kibble is Evo and I stopped buying that after the buyout. But he's done so incredibly well on ND Turkey that I decided to compromise. I am feeding a mix of 1/4 cup Grandma Lucy's with 1 cup ND Turkey and 1/4 cup Orijen on the days I feed prepared food. Other days of the week I feed raw so the amount of ND he gets is not too significant. So yeah, even I am willing to compromise a little when he does awesome on a certain food. Wink

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm

I've tried both the Artisan Lamb and the Pureformance Lamb and I liked the Pureformance formulas better. I also mixed the kibble with the GL. He would get 1/2 cup GL with 3/8 cup kibble. When just feeding GL I would give him 3/4 cup morning and night and that seemed to maintain his weight well. Huge fan or GL and HK. Wish I could afford them right now Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I was originally wary of Taste of the Wild, but many people seem to have their huskies on it and honestly if your pup does best on it then I'd stick with it. You could always try out GL's Artisan by mixing it in a little bit at a time and after a full switch wait a couple weeks and see the difference. Whichever food gives her the healthiest coat, stool, etc I'd stick with.

Yep, it's one of the reasons why I started her on ToTW - because others have their huskies on it. It's a great food right now, but in the past they've had some recalls. I just worry about them popping up again. ^^ Don't get me wrong, I love how it's grain free & a great price! I think I am going to try the smaller bag of GL's and see if she likes it.

Huskyluv wrote:
I think your plan sounds fine, Jackie. I don't do any gradual switching when it comes to freeze-dried or dehydrated but I do when it comes to changing kibble. There's also nothing wrong with mixing the Grandma Lucy's and kibble in a single meal. I do that with my dogs, mix GL with kibble or cooked meat or canned or raw.

I strongly advocate rotation diets so exposing your dog to as many different good foods as you can that they do well on. I would recommend GL or HK over kibble any day so I would definitely consider a mix of GL and kibble to be better than kibble only.

I have long been against anything made by Diamond but I will admit I decided to try the Nature's Domain Turkey formula from Costco just for kicks and grins. Geez, I couldn't believe the results I got with my sibe on it. He is doing AMAZING on the Nature's Domain turkey, but then again he has always done best on turkey based kibble. He's doing better on ND turkey than he does on Orijen or TOTW or Nature's Variety or countless other foods I've tried. The only thing he's done better on as far as kibble is Evo and I stopped buying that after the buyout. But he's done so incredibly well on ND Turkey that I decided to compromise. I am feeding a mix of 1/4 cup Grandma Lucy's with 1 cup ND Turkey and 1/4 cup Orijen on the days I feed prepared food. Other days of the week I feed raw so the amount of ND he gets is not too significant. So yeah, even I am willing to compromise a little when he does awesome on a certain food. Wink

How interesting! Yeah, EVO looks nice but since their buyout, I wouldn't touch them either. Your advice helped me out, Val! For some reason, I love change. Whenever her treats run out, I always try a different flavor from some other brand. Then after the switched one runs out, I go back to the other treats that she liked.

I'm looking forward to a rotation diet with GL's and kibble. I just hope I don't create a picky dog in the process. Razz She's already spoiled rotten, gah!

hypers987 wrote:
I've tried both the Artisan Lamb and the Pureformance Lamb and I liked the Pureformance formulas better. I also mixed the kibble with the GL. He would get 1/2 cup GL with 3/8 cup kibble. When just feeding GL I would give him 3/4 cup morning and night and that seemed to maintain his weight well. Huge fan or GL and HK. Wish I could afford them right now Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I will start out with a smaller bag of Pureformance first. D'awh. Sad Wish I could help. :l
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions   Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanting to feed GL's Artisan Lamb & Pureformance Lamb - Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1