It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof Empty
PostSubject: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi All

We are making plans to get our second pooch, we always intended to have two and planning to get our second maybe around March/April so we are talking to breeders now.

We were considering either a second husky or an Alaskan Malamute, either way it will be a male. My question is will a malamute a husky get on together?

Thanks
Col
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 5:01 pm

I dont think breed will have much bearing in this to be honest. Tika gets along with most dog breeds with the few exceptions of Pointers and herders, and its because of their style of play. She loves other huskies, mals, LABS! Oh she loves labs and pitts, rottweilers, I have seen her play with almost any dog she meets.

We were getting a second in the summer and we planned on going through a shelter, however it really wasnt a matter of breed as much as compatible temperment. When we got Ripley we agreed to foster and if they go along great then we would consider keeping her. Now they are inseperable.

I think if you are getting a puppy you will have an easier time in the transition for personalities since the pup will grow up with Arya, but overall, I think you should just evaluate the pup themselves and introduce them before taking it home.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Well there is one person here that can answer that.....

Mals and huskies tend to do well together based on play style and activity level.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I think personality and play style has more to do with dogs getting along than what breed they are...should be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 pm

I agree with everyone else, the breed doesn't matter as much as the personality and temperament of the dogs....we have quite the mixture at my house....Snow- the husky, two beagles (one standard and one miniature) anItalian greyhound/boarder collie mix, and our foster husky girl. At any given time we also have my moms yorkie and dads two wheaten terriers here visiting as well. Snow loves every single one of them and will play with each of them...but plays better with the husky and greyhound than the others because of their activity level.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Yes they are fine together! They play the same, and activity level is the same! Maggie plays with huskies before another mal! lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Mals and Huskies do great together.

Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof Sleepingdogs42509

Mylo, was 7 yrs. old when we got Adobo, she was 17 months of age. Mylo protected her like her life depended on it. The 3rd day she was with us a big brown lab from up the street came charging after her, Mylo intercepted the charge and knocked that SOB for an embarrassing loss. He was always the big brother for her.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Same here.. Titus (husky) always protects Lycan (malamute) like his very own even though there are only a year different. Get a young puppy, they will feel closer. If you get one about the same age, they might fight for alpha in the house but if you get a younger one, the older one will adore him and the younger one will treat the older one like a hero.

Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof Titusl10
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Good ?

I am considering picking up a second the beginning of next year once the holidays and hunting seasons slow down and I recover from the binge eating and drinking.

I will most likely go with either a female husky or mal.

^^^Michelle, that is a great pic of Lycan and Titus together^^^
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

I have Ruby my lab and Balon my husky, they get along great!
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 pm

We have a husky (f) and a mal (m) pup - 2 weeks between them - and they get along fine. The first night we brought Milla home there were a few scuffles for the pecking order, and Hunter came out on top. Other than that they are fine together. The only thing I would say is Mal's run out of patince with the husky behaviour a bit, Milla keeps going at him too much and as you know they do play rough (Mal's do as well). I don't think the age thing will be a problem, eventually they will compete for alpha regardless of the age difference
Back to top Go down
Kari_anne
Newborn
Newborn
Kari_anne

Female Join date : 2011-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 6:42 am

Definitely depends on the dogs. Previously (years ago) my parents had a male husky and then got a male malamute. As the malamute was a puppy and the husky was full grown, they got along great. Unfortunately once the malamute grew larger than the older husky the fights started. We had to constantly keep them separated in case a fight sparked. Must be an alpha male thing. Currently I have a female husky and they can not get enough of each other, the same malamute and my Lexi play constantly.
Food was the main trigger between the the two males.
This is an older picture of lexi, shes 1.5year old now
Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof 02710
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

We are in the process of getting a male malamute who is 13 weeks old. Our Husky's are 5 1/2months, male, and just under 14 years old, female. We hope that the 2 males get along good since they will be growing up together.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Kari, Seeing your Mal's picture almost made me Sad

God I still miss Mylo so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof   Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky & Malamute Under Same Roof

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1