It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Karli's Kennel Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Karli's Kennel Training Empty
PostSubject: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 pm

So we are working on kennel training Karli. The first night was not good, she cried most of the night and then was so tired the next day that she spent it sleeping. She does good now at night and she's OK if I have to leave her in there to run to the store. But last night was a huge surprise. She was laying outside the back door (it was open but she didn't come in lol) and I went to get her to brush her and put her to bed. She got up, came in, walked past me, around the table, and went into her kennel. All by herself!! I was in absolute shock. Decided that pulling her out to brush her would mess up the progress so I praised her big, rubbed her belly (which she LOVES) and closed her up. So proud of my girl I just had to share! Laughing
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm

That's great! We have finally got to the point where I don't have to drag Anna out from the couch every time I had to leave. She sits on the couch and waits for me and I just hold her collar in case she takes off running and guide her in. But she goes in and lays down instead of trying to come back out immediately.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 am

I can't wait for that day!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 am

It takes awhile. Haha. At least for us it did. I actually sat in front of Anna's crate for a few days, making it a part of her trick routine, to make her go in, lay down, stay, and let me close the door while she stayed laying down and she got a goodie for it. I think it helped Anna come to understand that goood things happen in the crate. She also had to stay in the crate after I opened it till I called her out. I still make her wait to come out until I am ready and if she comes out too fast I will make her go back in and sit down and wait. She can wait a few seconds now which is a big accomplishment for us, hahaha.

We gave up on her sleeping the crate because she never pottied on the floor at night, accept a couple very very bad accidents which I don't blame her for. She knew to wake me up if she had to potty by licking my hand but even in the beginning as a 6 week old puppy she almost always slept through the night.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:37 am

Quote :
. I actually sat in front of Anna's crate for a few days, making it a part of her trick routine, to make her go in, lay down, stay, and let me close the door while she stayed laying down and she got a goodie for it.
That's a great idea!!! She's good at "sit" because we make her sit before we give her food. Looks like I got some more training to try! Thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Kota is now 10 months and has been fully crate trained since about 3-4 months. All I have to do is tell her "Kota go get in your house." And off she goes. Sometimes she wants to be stubborn as walk the other way because she knows that means I'm leaving but if I start for her treat bag she practically runs to her crate. We started from day one also, and every time I was lead her to the crate and give her the command several times. Sometimes she would go in an other times I would have to lead her in but always got a yummy snack and now she is a pro at it.

Since we just brought Skyler home this past weekend from te rescue we're just now being able to work with her. She is excellent though. She was crated at her foster home but did not do it on command. All I've really been doing is making Kota go first with the same command and Sklyer usually follows. Typically she doesn't go right in but after I tell her specifically to go I she does. It's funny how she is learning just from watching/being around Kota. Since I don't have as much time to train her and being as she is already 9 months Kota is being a huge help training her.

Keep up the good work. It's rewarding to see how the progress and learn. Smile
Back to top Go down
A.Howard1
Newborn
Newborn
A.Howard1

Female Join date : 2012-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Aww, that's fantastic! Isn't it great when they finally accept their kennel? Bear HATED his when we first got it. But now he goes right in when we tell him to. Such a great feeling!

Keep up the great work! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Karli's Kennel Training   Karli's Kennel Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Karli's Kennel Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1