It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to walk a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

How to walk a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Severe ADD outside   How to walk a husky? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Nikko loves being outside, but he does not listen in the least when out there. He'll pee when we first go out, then he usually finds a spot to plop down and start eating grass and pinestraw. The only time he walks is when he wants to walk and its where he wants to go. I expect this because he is a husky. But how do I train him to walk where I say? I tried using his treats, but outside he completely ignores them. The only way I can get him inside is to pick him up and carry him in. This won't fly when he starts to get bigger and heavier. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm having issues 'walking' nikko. He doesn't walk. he walks when he wants to. and that's it. I've tried using treats to make him walk with me, but he ignores them outside. I can't get him to listen or follow me while outside. help please Smile
Back to top Go down
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:56 pm

He's just a little guy - he'll figure it out. Careful what you wish for! Kaya did that for the first few weeks. She just didn't know why we were doing this. But pack on a few months and pounds, and she was pulling like a freight train. Before too long, you will be looking for tricks to slow them down! (Easy Walk Harness - just fyi)

Best of luck, and enjoy it! Don't worry, he'll figure it out soon!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm

I wouldn't be out walking him at this age, he can't have finished his puppy series of vaccinations and he's too young to go for a "real" walk.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 am

Seeing by your ticker, your puppy is only 9 weeks old. Walking Nikko outside can expose him to Parvo, which usually ends up being lethal, and if it isn't you'll be seeing a very hefty vet bill. Practice inside and only bring him out in your backyard where there hasn't been any unvaccinated dogs.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 am

He's only 2months Smile Luka was the same! Its only a matter of time. Be careful what you wish for is all I can say...

Val's point regarding vaccinations is also important! You don't want your puppy to get sick or worse! He shouldn't be in contact with dogs who's vaccination history you do not know and he shouldn't be allowed to go up to and sniff other dog poop either! Be careful and keep him safe, I know you guys in the states have to deal with some of the more serious diseases more frequently than we do...
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am

I don't take him for legitimate walks. just out back so he can do his business. and walk for a couple minutes. I don't have a backyard since I am in a town home for the time being (hopefully getting a house with a backyard in the summer or fall). But I'll just start bringing him in right after he does his business until he gets all his shots. thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
tr3mor
Newborn
Newborn
tr3mor

Male Join date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I can only speak on behalf of myself and the wife on our experience with Stig. We started walking him at about 8 weeks he caught on real quick, he did have some of his shots, I just don`t remember which ones. Within a week or two of him starting walking, we were already seeing the energy of the husky at full force. He would walk til we made him go home, would never tire. I believe at about 12 weeks he walked 14 km with me, and I am the one who wanted to stop not him. Every dog is a little different, but you`ll find him wanting to walk soon enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tr3mor.org
Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Have you tried initiating play outside? Turn the walking and outside time into play. Get him moving. Teach him to run after (and eventually with) you. Then, he'll learn that walking with you is really just play. Also, try starting walk commands inside where there are less distractions. My two could care less if I have a porterhouse steak waving in their face when it comes to being outside. So I start and do a lot of my training inside first to get the commands learned, then move to outside.

Also, I use a command for almost everything I do with my dog. When I take my dogs outside to potty, I use 'Let's go potty' so they know what's going to happen. If we are going to the park, I use 'let's go to the park'. This works with coming inside, too. 'Inside'. When you want to walk, say 'walk'. It's a cue to get up and get moving. They seem like small, silly words to use now, but he WILL catch on with repetition. And nothing is more rewarding than having a dog with a huge vocab who you can tell to do just about anything. Initiate play when you want him to go inside. Have him 'chase' you inside (he's learning to stay with you, here) and when you go inside, use the word 'inside' to cue that that's what you want.

I've always found that play is far more rewarding than treats to huskies, anyways. Mine get bored of treats after, oh, right away.

I hope this helps =]
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Merged like Topics "Severe ADD Outside" .

Looks like you've gotten some great advice thus far.

Take it slow and enjoy the puppy time... They grow real fast Wink

Just give the training some time and he'll get it Smile

Best of luck,
~Chris~

PostSubject: Re: How to walk a husky?   How to walk a husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to walk a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1