It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

show dog questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi! I'm new to huskies and currently just have my beloved rescue, Nanook.
To make a long story short, I used to show labs many years ago (20-25) but I haven't been in the dog show world since. Anyway, I am feeling the urge to get back in to showing. (not that I can afford it right now.. lol) I'm one of those types that likes homework; so I am gathering some background information before I decide which breeders/bloodlines I would consider getting a puppy from.

As I look at various win pictures on the internet, I notice quite a bit of variation in things like rears, shoulders, toplines, and even heads.
Do huskies tend to go through "fads" in the dog show world? (most breeds that I am familiar with do).
In your opinion, what does The Ideal Husky look like? (pictures are welcomed).
Are there long time breeders who stick to their ideal vision of a husky regardless of the current "fad"? Do those breeders tend to stick to specialty shows (and not so much all breed shows)? (In labs one could tell at a quick glance if a dog came from a breeder who sticks to specialty shows or one who does all breed shows.... They were that different!)
What past huskies (and breeders) have made a large impact on the breed as it is today? (I mean the show dogs - not the foundation stock for the breed itself)

Of course I plan to attend our local specialty show this spring and may even catch some of the January circuit if I can take time from work to travel (my mom lives in Clearwater). I am open to suggestions for other resources. I've scoured the SHCA and our local breed club sites. I also tried to start a dialogue with some local show breeders, but they didn't seem interested in talking to me once I mentioned that I was only trying to learn and not necessarily buy a puppy from them. (that's a whole other post.. lol)
Anyway, I am hoping to start a dialog here.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm

I will be following this thread myself, as I am also hoping to get into the husky show world. Not with Yuki of course, but in a couple years I am hoping to get a show line pup and start it. Always been a dream of mine to show, not with huskies but welllll Yuki converted me.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Yes Huskies go through 'fads'. Right now we're in a fad that I don't much care for, that is short legs and massive flashy flying side gait (completely improper for the breed). I'm relatively new and not yet breeding but my mentor does not breed to fit the current fad, and my boy tends to do better under breed judges than all breed judges (imagine that, he is appropriate length in body, has legs under him, and proper movement). My ideal Siberian is one that can actually still function in harness and not just look pretty in the show ring.

Currently I feel Karnovanda is continuing to be a big contributor to the breed, certainly one of the most recognizable in the ring. They do breed a nice dog
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I just spent an hour looking at Karnovanda's web site when I should have been working. Embarassed Yes, they are beautiful dogs.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Check out Innisfree as well, they are certainly some past influences to our breed Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Quote :
Check out Innisfree as well, they are certainly some past influences to our breed Smile

The absolute only problem I have with Innisfree is their amount of dogs.

I have never been to the site and as I understand it that list is divided between their two locations. It is however what you see when you go to their website, there are a lot of dogs Razz

Oh and I say this as a TOTAL Hypocrite as the breeder we used in Ottawa works hand in hand with Innisfree NY. Every now and again they Stud a dog over.

Tika's Sire is an Innisfree dog. So again, total hypocrite on the matter.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I did say PAST influence, they have deviated a bit in more recent years. I am certainly more impressed by the Innisfree dogs of past than of more recent years. Most of the big kennels are dog heavy, Karnovanda no exception. Yet they have the gall to accuse smaller ethical breeding programs of breeding too much. The one thing I can speak to is they do get the clearances done on their dogs and are active in the Siberian communtiy.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 pm

You must give me a call if you are going to show in FL!!! I'll enter Elara. Down here there aren't that many sibe people and they seem to go to any show around regardless if it is all breed or a specialty.

show dog questions Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm interested in showing as well. Milla is on full papers and I'm trying to decide whether I want to show or not, otherwise I will be getting her desexed at 5mths. How do you know if you have a "show worthy" dog, I'm not sure if its any different in Australia than US or not?
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Do you know how to stack a dog? If so, post some stacked pictures of him. Another thing to keep in mind is what his pedigree looks like and if those dogs were health tested or not (that's if you were thinking of breeding too). I'd be afraid to breed a dog that I didn't know how most of its relative's health tests turned out. Did she come from a breeder who shows?

Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 am

I have no plans on breeding what so ever, that's not for me. I don't know how to stack a dog but I know what you mean by it, will google and see what I can do. The breeder I got her from didn't show either of her parents, her aunt was shown and her great-grandfather was a champion according to her papers. I think she looks good, she has a nice walk etc, but what owner wouldn't say that! My only concern would be her temperament, she's a typical husky and hates to stand still and quite whiny with new people so it would take a lot of work to get her show ready I think - if she even could. There are a few competitions with fixed dogs, so that could always be an option aswell.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 am

Yuki didn't come from a show breeder.. but I'm wondering if she'd be good enough to show myself. I'm pretty sure she isn't, especially since she has bi-eyes. I was planning on waiting a couple years to get a puppy from really good show lines, but I got the best pics I could of 'stacking' and even though shes more of a companion I was hoping maybe you guys could tell me if Yuki could possibly go in the ring? Also let me know if theres anything I can do to try to get a better stacking picture. Also I am not planning on breeding her either and she will be fixed at about 6-9 months depending on what my vet thinks is best, so I would also participate in altered shows.
15 Weeks
show dog questions B8x11h
16 Weeks
show dog questions 2cft5on
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 am

This is a picture I took of Ares stacking last night. I wanted to how him, but chose not to. I learned how to stack him by taking him to confirmation class, you should look into them, they're fun if you get someone that isn't stuck up and rude, which is hard to find in the show world lol!

show dog questions 561594_3838348449295_553236737_n
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:10 am

I've had a few breeder friends look at him and they said he was okay, just not good enough for AKC
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:10 am

I will give it a try when I get home, maybe after she's had a run around so she's not so hyper Wink
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 am

Oh one more thing, eye color doesn't really matter in Huskies. Yes judges prefer brown eyes, but anything is acceptable in the ring. Blue eyes just make the eye look rounder and unappealing to some judges.

When Ares was in classes the teacher was creeped out by his bi eyes
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

Oh thanks Jennet! Yuki is AKC registered but as most of us know, not every registered husky is show quality XD I am looking into doing obedience. From there I'll probably do pre-basic agility and conformation classes. I know I want to be involved in the AKC community, but I have to find what suits her best.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:24 am

Mobezilla wrote:
Oh thanks Jennet! Yuki is AKC registered but as most of us know, not every registered husky is show quality XD I am looking into doing obedience. From there I'll probably do pre-basic agility and conformation classes. I know I want to be involved in the AKC community, but I have to find what suits her best.

Yeah Zoey is AKC and has a horrible snapped tail, which a fault in huskies.

show dog questions 426907_2759900928781_31437596_n

The only thing we've done with AKC is Zoey now has her CGC title Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

ah I'm soo stupid... CGC? Canine Good Citizen I think its called? What all does that entail?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:29 am

Yup Canine Good Citizen, as of January 2013 it will now be an official AKC title that you can add to your dogs name.

You can read all about it here

http://www.akc.org/dogowner/training/canine_good_citizen/index.cfm
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

"designed to reward dogs who have good manners"
ROFL Yuki has a LOT of work to do XD
should I do the CGC program before doing her puppy obedience classes? :0 Sorry imma bug you a ton XD

-Eeek! The closest CGC class is an hour and a half away, I tried all the cities in ohio o.o
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 am

Haha it's fine! We did Zoeys CGC after her puppy class. Her instructor is a CGC evaluator so it was super easy. Is Yuki in classes right now? If she isn't, I'd recommend looking for a puppy class that the teacher is a certified CGC evaluator. They will usually let you complete the CGC test the last day of class if you go that route.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 am

Yuki is not in puppy classes yet, she just got her last puppy shots friday so I was waiting to finish that. But I will definitely look into it! Someone recommended me to Gem City in Dayton, OH, as they are a positive reinforcement program. I'll check and see when their next classes are and I'll definitely ask if they have a certified CGC evaluator, they would save me a ton of trouble Very Happy thanks!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 am

Classes first and then take the CGC.

Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 pm

SaraB wrote:
Classes first and then take the CGC.

^^ This definitely!

I did CGC with a few of my labs back in the day. It was part of "graduation" at the obedience classes I went to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

show dog questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions Empty

Back to top Go down

show dog questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next