It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Piss Limping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Piss Limping Empty
PostSubject: Piss Limping   Piss Limping EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:36 am

This problem probably originated in the early days when it was just Sioux and Bubba. When I began running it took months to get my legs and lower joints into shape. So I was taking many rest breaks back then. Of course, the boys were more than happy with having an opportunity to smell and pee on things. Repetition being what it is with dogs, they began to make quarter mile stops part of the routine. As my endurance increased Bubba started this thing where he would just collapse and lay down when he felt we had gone too far without pissing on something. Even hooked onto a harness, that dog has enough mass that when he wanted to stop, we stopped. This went on for at least a year with those two. During that time things like "training", or "conditioning" were not even on the radar.

Then we moved to Loveland. A yard and being closer to family made for lots of doggy visitors. Ridik started showing up, I quit selling cars and bought many a book about dogs. When September rolled around that year we added Coco and ended up with Tambi. Training went from being a fanciful craft only used by those in the know, to being a NEED. Three months later the dogs were behaving better than my expectations and we moved on to other things like leash reactivity and proper digging areas. One morning while running all of the dogs Bubba did his patented collapse for piss move. Only this time there was additional forward momentum due to Coco and RIdik on board. His front "wrist" could not handle this added torque and he fell rolling over his front feet, yelping and consequently limping. Taking him out of rotation for recovery, I was dismayed to find Sioux limping the very next day. Turns out his method was to hop on his front leg while lifting a rear leg and pissing as we moved.

Two weeks of rest had them back in working order. Then we began tying marking to a command in hopes of simply adding "no" to it. Yeah right, the command worked brilliantly but the no part didn't. Around then we started running into people yelling from their windows about the dogs peeing on their bushes. So in the interest of just eliminating the temptations, I started putting Sioux and Bubba on the road side of sidewalks so they couldn't pee in people's yards. This worked for quite a while until maybe six months ago. Hiking seems to have brought this behavior back out since there are no "road sides" of the paths in the woods.

The problem we now have is that these two morons are content to piss on the curb, flat pavement or whatever is under them when they decide we've gone too far. I've tried just about everything to get these guys to stop this. If I can keep them moving, they will happily pee all over their own feet. It's hard to predict when it's going to happen. They will go from a straight run to zero, instantly rolling over the front wrist they're using for support. I'm about to go seriously aversive to avoid these injuries. My big boys are down for a week now from running. Adding yet another chunk of time to slowly walk them so they at least get out of the house.

¿Anyone else ever dealt with piss limp? ¿Ideas?
Piss Limping 5
Wow, that was long winded.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Piss Limping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piss Limping   Piss Limping EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Wow, what a post and so detailed in true Eddy fashion! i have not had this issue but due to the lack of trees in our back yard sometimes Jack will just stand and pee and not even lift a leg. he pees on EVERYTHING on our walks that is a bush or tree but not on the ground or pavement. can you just give into them and stop and let them go every mile or something?

Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

Piss Limping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piss Limping   Piss Limping EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

I use the belly-band method... It doesn't work for all dogs but it pulls icon right off of what he's doing, I use just a 6 foot leash and a collar and I run the leash down his back and under his right side then pull the leash up his left side and under the part of the leash that was going down his back... A simple tug will tighten the leash and make it uncomfortable to pull whether it be ahead or to stop and pee... Some dogs will not tolerate it... Another thing that might help... Keep the two hooked up to their harnesses but maybe add a head halter to direct their attention ahead... It can be hooked up separately from your other leash... Sorry maybe one of these ideas will work maybe not. Icon has been the perfect gentleman since he was a baby I have worked with him on EVERYTHING.... So maybe it only works with him bc he knows what I want... Good luck!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Piss Limping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piss Limping   Piss Limping EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 am

The leash wrap was met with much stubbornness. I tried it solo on each of them and they both responded by laying down and trying to army crawl back home. The next few days we just went about the runs as normal until I could come up with something else.

Then I went neurotic and methodical in my approach:
We take a different route everyday and I noticed that doing so made them ever more interested in the objects we come across. A new route beginning was needed, and I mapped out a first mile that we could repeat every day. Within this mile, sixteen spots that I know they love were selected as piss stops. We started by stopping at each of them for a week and then gradually taking the closest three stops off the route and eliminating the stops towards the end of the mile. My thinking was similar to house training a pup and that these guys probably have never developed (or generalized) the ability to hold it while running. After a couple of weeks the boys were stopping once at the quarter mile mark, and then making it three quarters more to the mile mark. This week has been our first real test to see if the distance has stuck. Overall I'm pleased with their progress. After the first mile we are getting another mile straight before stopping. We still have some issues with areas that have been favorites spots for years. But hopefully the instant stopping and inevitable whiplash action on their front legs is over with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Piss Limping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piss Limping   Piss Limping Empty

Back to top Go down

Piss Limping

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1