It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

3rd Gen iPad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Does anyone have it?

I'm weighing my options right now. I currently have the iPad 2 16GB, and I have used most of my memory already. I just got it refurbished in June. But now with the release of the Mini, that puts my iPad two generations behind. Anyone who's familiar with Apple knows that once you get that far back, updates do nothing for you. This last iOS 6 update did nothing but give me two more universal apps.

My grandmother is currently thinking about getting an iPad 2. She was gonna go to walmart thursday night and pay $400 for it. I quoted what Apple would give me for a trade in and my iPad would be worth $175. So I told my grandmother it's hers if she wants it.

Apple has some refurbished iPad 3rd gens available. 32GB for $469 and $509 with cellular. I've cleared off enough of the credit card that my computer is on to easily be able to cover what the $175 doesn't without maxing me out. So I'm just really trying to think of what the best move is.

If I go this route, I'll be walking away with an iPad with twice the memory and possibly 3G internet for only $300 out of pocket. But I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Does anyone have the 3rd Gen iPad that can tell me a little about it?

What drew me to it initially was the better camera. I have the heart of a photographer, even if I don't have the talent of one. The iPad 2's camera is crap. My iPhone takes better pictures than it does. Still, I can't justify $300 more debt if a better camera is the only perk.

The only other reason I'd want to get rid of the 2 is due to the fact that whenever the next software update is released, the 2 is likely not going to be compatible. I bought the iPad to replace my iTouch because that got too old for updates.

I guess some specifics I'm looking for: What features on the 3rd Gen do you like? Is there anything you don't like? Does it still use the good old charger or did they upgrade it to the thunderbolt charger like the iPhone 5? And before I even think about going with the 3, are there any rumors of the 4 coming out soon? I would think with the release of the mini, there's no chance the 4 will be out for a while, if they even continue releasing the regular sized tablets. I think due to competition, they're trying to stick with the mini size.

Once again Shae wrote a book. I need to work on that.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I have it and love it, but aside from a slightly better camera and the screen being way nicer looking, it doesn't have really any huge perks above the 2- but the screen was a deal breaker for me, plus I hate being outdated. I'm too lazy to type more than that, sorry, haha.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Aha no I appreciate that Heather!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 pm

I have the 2 and personally would wait for the next gen iPad. There's nothing the 3 has that would make me jump ship.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks Kristina! That's really the idea that's holding me back. I mean, I got my 2 when I did because the release of the 3 dropped the price and I just wanted to see how I liked it. I know the minute I commit to a new one, they'll announce the next gen. Now my only concern is that when the new gen is released, I won't have the money for it and it'll make my 2 obsolete.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 pm

The issue with owning any Apple product is they usually release new models every 6 months or so. Therefore, you get outdated pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Why does the mini cost more?
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:25 pm

The mini doesn't cost more. They start out at around $330 and the regular iPads start out at $500.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Personally I think the mini is ridiculous. Just get an iphone. Or an ipad. I see no purpose in it!

Although those damn commercials (specifically the piano one) make me WANT one like no tomorrow! LOL

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Personally I think the mini is ridiculous. Just get an iphone. Or an ipad. I see no purpose in it!

Although those damn commercials (specifically the piano one) make me WANT one like no tomorrow! LOL

Lol that's what my girlfriend want, she doesn't own a apple stuff, which I'd pointless to have just one apple stuff
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I still own an iPad 2, but have done enough research on the newest one for my mom to maybe be able to help you!

The still camera is obviously laughably better. The iPad 2 has .7 MP and the new one has 5 MP. The video camera is also better. The new one is also significantly faster. And of course, the screen is worlds better.

Also, I don't mean to sound condescending in the least, but make sure you're very familiar with your cell phone company's data plans. We nearly got screwed over by AT&T when I upgraded my iPhone and they tried to join our data plans and I nearly lost my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Also, be careful if you look elsewhere for a refurbished iPad. There was actually one released in March I believe and it has the retina display, but it's not as fast and I believe some store are still selling that model.

Hope that helped some!

Last edited by katiesham on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

I upgraded from a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 last June.
AT&T gave me something for the trade.
Saved some money there.
I dropped the wireless plan on the new one, because every place I went that didn't have wireless had no Sat connection either.
Saved some money there.

I love the Gen 3.
Use FaceTime quite a bunch. The camera is great.
The speed is great.
The retina display is terrify for watching movies.
It was a good move for me.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Also keep in mind when they announced the iPad Mini, they also announced hardware upgrades in the regular iPad ("The New iPad"). So technically speaking, the iPad 4 is already out. The major differences in the the 3 vs. 4 is the lightning connector, an upgraded CPU, and HD facetime camera (the one on the front). [ Announcement Summary ]

I also upgraded from the original to the iPad 3 this past March. The difference for me was astounding -- and I upgraded for the better screen, cameras, and 4G wireless.

With the holidays upon us, I would keep an eye out for a good deal on the iPads. Apple occasionally runs fire sales where you can get them for a great deal -- or with a giftcard to discount the price. If you don't know about it, I would strongly consider a refurb directly from Apple as well. They come in a new body/shell and with the same warranty as a new unit -- but at a better price. [ Apple Store: Refurb iPads ]
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks Katie! That did help! I've decided to ditch the cellular option. We upgraded our plan to the Shared data plan because it's actually $100 for my family to do it that way. But with shared data, I can use my phone as a mobile hotspot so it's dumb to pay an extra $10 a month for my ipad to be connected to our plan as well and still have the same amount of data between 5 devices.

At Verizon last night a guy showed me the pictures on the new one and that pretty much sold me. The iPad 2's camera was the most disappointing thing about it when I bought it. Just looking at the screen on the new one is enough to make me cry.

My ex's mom is going to buy my 2 for $200 so that's better than what Apple was going to give me. If anyone else was considering trading in, be sure to get all your quotes. Apple told me they'd give me $175, Verizon said $110, and Best Buy said $180.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the replies! I hate playing into consumerism but I think I'm going to take the plunge on this one.

Kevin, I did learn about the difference after I made the post. Stupid Apple. It would be so much easier if they kept the number system. I was looking at the Refurbs through Apple since that's how I got my 2, and they do have the 3rd gen but now that I know there's a 4th gen out, I'm going with that. There's rumors of the 5th gen coming out with the new iPhone mid-2013. Since I'm pretty set on getting the new one, at least then trade in value will be a lot higher if the 5th gen is really that much more improved that I just have to have it. I am holding out my phone upgrade for that though. I'm still with the 4.

Target's deal for friday is they're selling the newest iPad for full retail price but with a $60 gift card. It's the best deal I've seen so that's probably what I'll go with but I don't want to go out so I'm hoping it's an online deal too. I know Apple's prices are pretty much set in stone so I'm trying to guess how much a holiday sale would actually be.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:02 pm

You're covering all of your bases and making an educated decision -- way to go! I'm a huge Apple fan, so I don't think there is a wrong decision to be made. Cool

I expect all of the major retailers to have a similar deal with the $60 GC. If you really want to stay online, keep an eye on Amazon. They usually have some really amazing deals with the Lightning Deals (change every hour).

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 pm

I got an email from Best Buy this morning.

TODAY ONLY: Price drop $50 + $75 gift card on iPad® (3rd generation) at Best Buy
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks! I'll update here again with how it all goes. I'm watching Amazon and I'm still toying with going out Friday but I do have to work so we'll see how that goes.

As far as being an Apple fan, it's kind of sad. I've got an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, and I had ipods until I gave up on them because my phone and ipad can do the same deal. I have no complaints. Their products are expensive but they're well built. I haven't had issues with my phone like i have with other phones. Same with either computer.

Mindy, I did see that deal on Best Buy but it's for the 3rd gen. I know, thread topic is misleading. When I made the thread, I wasn't aware that there was a 4th gen. There's not too much difference between the two but the 4th gen is supposed to be faster/clearer/etc. Marketing gimmick but at least if I go with the 4th gen instead of the 3rd gen, it'll be worth more next time I'm outdated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

3rd Gen iPad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Gen iPad?   3rd Gen iPad? Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd Gen iPad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: The Reference Section :: Product Reviews/Recommendations-