It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi im Eric!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi everyone im Eric, and i will be a proud husky owner in a couple weeks.. I already picked out my puppy! His name is going to be Koda! I know its popular name but i just love it. I am getting him from a breeder in west virgina. I love in ohio. Im 21, and i go to school full time and work as a engineer intern. Luckly i have a girlfriend that will help me take care of my pup! This is my first husky and i cant wait! A little more about koda, he is a little over a week old and he is a agouti/white husky and the breeder thinks he will be a wooley. He just startes opening his eyes today and one is is partialy open and she thinks its blue. So if you guys got any tips on my new pup let me know! Ive done aot of reaearch for the past 6 months before i decides to get one. One minor concern i had with him which i dont think is a big deal is he has a extra toe on his back leg.. Not a dewclaw a actual like toe.... Any concerns i should have about this.. Ill try to post a picture that shows his foot with the extra toe. But myore tips are always welcome!! I will try to post a picture of him when i get home from work. Its giving me a hard time trying to do it on my phone
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 pm

First off welcome and congrats!!

My biggest concern is that your getting him in a few weeks, he should stay with the mother and litter mates until 8 weeks. That is a very important time for teaching them manors from mom. If you get him too soon your setting yourself up for some naughty behavior that would have been corrected already.

Be really ready for hair everywhere, they will shed all year round, so stock pile lint rollers. LOL
Get a crate and train him to be in it, it will end up being a huge help in the long run. How many hours a day are you gone between school and work? Puppies need to go out a lot and cant be left alone for long periods of time.

Get some of the husky books and read up and be very patient. It is worth all the work.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:41 pm

When i said couple weeks i meant a lot more lol.. Haha.. My plan is to pick him up sometime the first week of january. Which he will be 8 weeks then. During the day im probably gone about 8 hours.. Weekends im home all day. Like i said my gf is going to watch him and i live with my rents so someone is usually home at all times. We have a breeze way with dog door for him to go out wheneve he needs, i have another dog who is a mutt so they should keep eachother company.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Congrats and welcome! I can't wait to see pictures, I love agoutis! I don't think the extra toe is a big deal, just a little unusual, which will make him unique Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi!

Others have already posted valuable info. Crate training is a MUST and be CONSISTANT! Don't let things slide 'once', or they'll remember it forever and think it's okay! That goes for potty traning and everything else. Keep in mind that positive reinforcement is more effective than negative reinforcement(i.e. treat training or pets and happy voice).

Poke around our nutrition section to learn about great quality kibbles or raw feeding.

Brush him about once or twice a week with a slicker brush, greyhound comb or undercoat rake to keep the hair bunnies to a minimum. Smile

Be sure to take lots of pictures when you get him - they grow very fast. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: PICTURES!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Here are some pictures,
Hi im Eric! Koda-110
This second picture if you look all the way to the right, youll see his back leg with his extra toe on his pad.. u guys think thats a problem?
Hi im Eric! Koda-111Hi im Eric! Koda-113Hi im Eric! Koda-114Hi im Eric! Koda-115Hi im Eric! Koda-116
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Maybe poor breeding? Is he from a good breeder?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Ya very good breeder, i did alot of reseach on her.. I looked at all the pedigrees of all her dogs. She said her vet said it wasnt a big deal, and i also called a local vet and they said it didnt sound like anthing serious, but to bring him in when i get him to double check.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Do you mind if I ask what breeder? If you do I completely understand. I'm only asking because I'm 2 hours from WV and when I was looking for husky breeders I searched high and low! Wondering if I may have come across them before.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Sent you private message Hayden
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm

How do i get to my private messages whenevr you send one back, if you do lol hahahah new to this..
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't think polydactyly in itself is harmful (think Hemingway cats). It is an inherited trait though, so neutering is a good idea. Do any of littermates or parents have extra digits?
oh - and what a cutie!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 pm

I know he was the only one of the litter, i know some had dewclaws that got removed, but the vet decided not to remove that one, which is a good thing cause that would be terrible painful.. and i the parents dont have any that i know of didn't really look.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Another Ohioan! Welcome!! What part of Ohio are you in? My pup is 4 months old right now but we're having a husky walk in December and then next year I plan to do another event perhaps in Augest and then I want to make a December walk an annual thing. It'd be awesome if you could meet up with us sometime next year with your new pup!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Yay another Ohioan! Very Happy Koda is so cute and I just love agoutis!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Im from struthers, ohio its near youngstown. I wont be able to make the walk this decemember because i wont have him yet but il will look into whatever you plan for the new year!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah I saw you were getting him in january so thats why I said next year tehehe. He's gorgeous. You're only like.. four hours away... I'm in Dayton and Abby is pretty near me. Maybe we'll make a road trip up there one day, I know you probably won't be able to do anything until May/June 2013 when he's had all his puppy shots and is big enough to handle all the grown huskies tehehe so just keep in touch and we'll set up something when the time is right Smile Congrats on getting him again <3
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 am

I wouldn't think the extra toe would be an issue. My husky Keno actually had his outer toe on each hind leg amputated due to the nails growing wrong, and he hasn't had any problems with the missing digits. So i'm sure if you want, when its time to neuter him, it can be removed with no real problems.

i also have a soft spot for agoutis, i have 2 myself!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi im Eric! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi im Eric!   Hi im Eric! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi im Eric!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-