It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
carly.sedlacek.4
Newborn
Newborn

Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 am

I have had Lilly for 4 months now and she is 7 months old. When i first got her she was very hyper and recently I have been taking her out for half hour bike rides with a dog park where she plays half way through. I have noticed that all she wants to do is sleep and cuddle which she has been doing for the last couple of days. I have heard about dogs changing there personality closer to one year but it seems like she has totally calmed down.
Does anyone else find this weird???
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

Quote :
recently I have been taking her out for half hour bike rides with a dog park where she plays half way through

Quote :
I have noticed that all she wants to do is sleep and cuddle which she has been doing for the last couple of days.

It sounds like, to me, you're on the most important aspect of owning any pup.

"A Tired Pup is a Happy Pup".

Most behavioral issues or destructive tendencies that people have tend to just be out of boredom and lack of exercise. There are truly destructive or naughty pups out there that will continue to do it even when tired, but for the most part just giving them more to do in a day tends to stop most of it.

If you tucker the little pups out there is a lot less of a chance for anything to be chewed up or destroyed or for them to miss behave. They also love walking and running so it really is win win Razz

That being said don't push too hard too fast. 7 months may be a little bit too young for a half hour bike ride, depending on your speed. If she is in a full out run on cement the entire time 15 minutes may even be too much on her joints.

I won't presume to know your routine or your pup though, but if she is cuddling and sleeping with you, I would say you are doing something right....

Quote :
I have heard about dogs changing there personality closer to one year but it seems like she has totally calmed down.

The ~ one year change is usually different as that is when they reach their adolescents. The change is seldom one of relax or mellowing out in any dog. It is usually coupled with a spike in energy and stubbornness, though not always.

I would expect at LEAST the increase in energy level.... It was night and day with mine.

Oh and welcome to the forums to both you and Lilly.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 pm

They actually say dogs have their "adult" personalities and can have a personality change closer to 2-3 years old. Rogue has always been an angel, probably because I got her after becoming a trainer and was finishing my animal physiology and behavior degree, plus Koda was at ideal temperment when we got her so she mimiced him, but Koda was a terrible puppy with how crazy he was and it never seemed like he had ever expelled his energy fully. He seriously was always hyper, even with daycare 5x a week, AM hikes every day and 3 mile runs every day. It. Was. Insane. We never had a "bad teenage phase" with either though, Koda was requiring a lot of exercise to fulfill his needs. He is from a working kennel, though.
He did have a sudden change of energy about 18 months. He could still do all the things I was use to including in his routine to try to tire him, but I didn't have to and he'd be completely worn out. He became much more manageable and focus, in turn allowing his training to be more effectively done.
It's possible they be just coming to terms with chilling out early. Rogue has been at a "mature" point since she was a couple months. But it sounds like you have an excellent exercise routine and that can attribute to it a lot. Smile keeping them tired keeps them from feeling mischievous.

I'm half asleep and on my iPhone, sorry for any typos or random words spellcheck used.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Both of my dogs didn't calm down until about 3 years old. Even with exercise they were both crazy for awhile. Just embrace it!
Back to top Go down
tr3mor
Newborn
Newborn
tr3mor

Male Join date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 am

Zero took a about 16 mths to really start to calm down (but I think that was mostly my fault as we didn`t exercise her nearly as much as we should have)...
Stig is already starting to slow down as well (5mths 2 weeks) but of course still the fun loving puppy.. instead of just going nuts in the house and basically bouncing off the walls, and now will actually lay on the floor and just lounge... but i have a feeling that will change again REAL soon haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.tr3mor.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?   Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyones Husky just suddenly calmed down?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1