It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight Empty
PostSubject: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Maya and Kay got into another fight, this was their first bad one in a couple weeks. I pulled them apart and Maya was between my legs. Kay went after her and i couldnt pull them apart in time so my leg got bit by kay.

This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight Zmce2w

Now i need new jeans, i hate shopping for jeans. Sad
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Ouch!! Was that from teeth or claws? I hope it heals fast.

Sorry about your jeans
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm

That looks like it hurts! I know what you mean, I've gotten bit so many times by getting in the middle of fights. Put some neosporin on it clean it w/peroxide! Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Ouch, that sucks. Put some hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on it and it should heal up in no time. Sorry about your jeans, I have favorite jeans. Sad
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Eresh wrote:
Ouch!! Was that from teeth or claws? I hope it heals fast.
It was from teeth, Kay was going after Maya but got me instead.

I put some peroxide on it, it's not as bad as it looks. Though it doesn't look that bad either. Smile it hurt a lot when it happened but now it's just sore.
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly. I have had many wounds like that, but they were from my cat.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Well they just got into another fight. Right when I thought things were getting better. Sad it was over a piece of cheese that was dropped on the ground. Maya won't share ANYTHING with Kay, not even water. Unless they're drinking from the hose or pool outside, they're okay then. So maya attacks Kay and it turns into a bad fight. I pulled maya off and shoved her behind me. Kay was still snarling ready to go back for more. I was NOT going to have another fight between my legs, so I stomp the ground in front of her to scare her out of it. It WORKED! She snapped out of it and all was well. Now they're laying next to each other in front of the couch, dogs Rolling Eyes

My ears hurt after that one
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Dang, that looks painful! I'm sorry you are having problems with Kay. Those type of scuffles are not fun to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm

I have soooo been there. Keep at it. Really restrict treats, food, and toys unless in a controlled environment, but you should also be doing some sharing training for the two of them. Make sure to take time to train each of them one-on-one. "Leave it" and "Share it" will be your best friends.

You will get there.

This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Maya's really good at "leave it" but I'm still working on it with Kay. For the "share it" would I take a toy from one of them and say that while giving it to the other? I'll have to do that with Sophie too, she doesn't share tennis balls.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 pm

The safest way I've found for separating dogs in a fight is to grap one of them by the hind legs and back up quickly (cussing and swearing at the same time also helps). Not once have I had the other keep coming after the other

Made the mistake once of reaching in between 2 fighting and got bit.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 pm

I pull Maya off like that but maybe i'll try it with Kay. I trust Maya not to bite me but i don't trust Kay. I guess she would have to stop attacking Maya to bite me anyway. Kay does go after her when i pull Maya off though.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 am

An airhorn won't spook them out enough to stop the fight?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 am

That probably would work. Water works too but I didn't have any on me. I'll have to go out and buy one, I don't think we have any at home.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

I use to work with a rowdy group of dogs and any time they started at it, I'd airhorn them. Even me just going HEYYYYYY!!!!! loud and all pissy usually worked. We have house guests right now and we have had issues, but even if I'm upstairs and they hear me scream it stops immediately.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 am

Just make sure you are current on youTendonitis shot within the last 5 years. Kerian bit me and I went to doc to make sure I was current.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 am

The yelling hey really loud works before the fight gets too serious, I haven't tried it when they're in a bad fight. I just did it before they got into another one and now they're acting like they did something really bad. They're cuddling up to me on the couch Smile

I'll have to go check, I've had tendinitis problems in my fingers from bowling. But it's gotten better now that I don't bowl on the team and don't practice regularly.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 am

Tetanus is what I meant to say I guess I spell it incorrectly..
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah i didn't think there was a shot for tendinitis. I have had my tetanus shot in the last 5 years though. Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 am

Loud heys work here...

If I'm alone and a fight breaks out, more specifically when Stark was here, I used a knee to their side of the aggressor or the one I have least control over. It's enough to break them and I can drag off whoever I need to.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:35 am

MayaAndSophie wrote:
The yelling hey really loud works before the fight gets too serious, I haven't tried it when they're in a bad fight. I just did it before they got into another one and now they're acting like they did something really bad. They're cuddling up to me on the couch Smile

I'll have to go check, I've had tendinitis problems in my fingers from bowling. But it's gotten better now that I don't bowl on the team and don't practice regularly.

Yeah, I mean they aren't in a full-on killing brawl, so honestly a HEY or a super loud noise should freak them out to where their focus breaks and then you can just separate them. I've never had to put my hand anywhere near a dog during a scuffle.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

I have figured out that is you can pull off the one that started the fight then you can usually stop the fight pretty fast by just putting some distance between the two while firmly telling them to stop, or whatever command you have been using. A good way is to grab them by their back legs and simply just drag them away from the other dog causing distance till you can completely keep them seperated.

We have had several nasty fights between Kota and Skyler lately and this has always worked for us. If I can just get one of them up and under their back legs I can usually drag them far enough away that they stop fighting. Sometimes my husband helps but typically its just me on my own without his help. I make sure I make alot of noise as I am grabbing which ever one though, just so they know that I am back there and dont get scared and try to bite me.

Hope maybe that helps. I know the frustration of trying to break up a dog fight!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 pm

I have my fair share of fights with Libby and Lucy. I try to keep a spray bottle with water in it within grabbing distance at all times. They stop as soon as i even grab it. It has worked wonders.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone, now I have lots of options to try. Not sure who would be considered the aggressor. The fights usually happen during rough play. Kay will just snap at maya and become really defensive, I think the play gets a little too much for her. Maya doesn't back off and fights back, that's when the fight happens. Usually a hey will get them to stop if its one of those. The bad ones happen when Kay gets all excited and runs around the house. So maya and Sophie will chase her. Then Kay will jump on the couch and maya jumps on the couch too but rams into her, that's when that fight happens.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Been there, done that. Smile If you see it start to escalate, try spraying them with a spray bottle of water. They do that at day care and we've done it, definitely helps to de-escalate the situation if it doesn't warrant the loud "HEY" yet. Smile As the rescue said to us - the fights will get less and less as they get to know each other. We are also careful about toys and food - and they only get either when supervised. I feed them breakfast together and Chili knows I'll take the food away if he's a jerk in front of me.

I'm a fan of Vetericyn, they have it at Petco and other pet stores - I spray it on all dog wounds and even ours. Smile Seems to heal them super fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight   This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight Empty

Back to top Go down

This is what happens when you get in the middle of a fight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1