It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Trouble at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

park - Trouble at the dog park  Empty
PostSubject: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi,
So today at the dog park a lady brought an aggressive dog in on a leash that she was trying to break of the aggression but she had very little control over it. My puppy Kao is only 7 months old, loves to play and is very curious when it comes to other dogs and people, so she kept going over to this dog trying to play causing the other dog to try and attack her. Are there any suggestions on how to train my puppy to stay away from certain dogs when i want her to?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 pm

If she's not on voice control, physically go get her and leave. Not worth staying if a fight is eminent. That's what I do when aggressive dogs come in, I round up Kale and leave.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm

ya i think thats what ill do next time. Ive been trying to train her with voice command and a lot of the time it works its just when she outside playing she gets so involved in what shes doing that i have a hard time getting her attention......
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Even if the dog is on leash, I'd ask her to leave. It is not fair Kao suffers because she brings her aggressive dog in. All the people I've met who try to do something like this walk the dog around the fence and don't actually go into the park.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm

The ignorance of people that bring nasty tempered dogs into a dog park hoping to cure them of aggression just boggle my mind. In the mean someone else's dog gets attacked and possibly harmed but they never accept the blame for the injuries.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 am

Yep definitely take her away from the situation! Yes you're in a dog park, but take the initiative to stop an argument from happening and just move her away. My husband just lets things go and it causes me frustration to no ends.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 am

The only exception I think to doing bringing an aggressive dog in is if it's on leash, muzzled and the owner has COMPLETE control over the dog.

We've had quite a few issues with that, my dogs are all curious of every dog that comes in and Ares was just so curious. I'd call him, he'd come back, and then he'd go back near the aggressive dog. What was even more frustrating was that the owner was telling me to call my dog off, no you get your aggressive dog out of the park moron.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:26 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
What was even more frustrating was that the owner was telling me to call my dog off, no you get your aggressive dog out of the park moron.

Biggest. Pet peeve. Ever.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 am

That's exactly the situation I was in today. The lady was getting mad at me because I wasn't keeping my dog away from her. The dog had a muzzle on at first but it got it off after about 30seconds :S this was my first bad experience at the dog park, really freaked me out
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 am

Muzzled dog in park = red flag
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am

This is why I'm kind of apprehensive about taking Lucian to the dog park. He just finished his last round of puppy vaccines for us to go. But I hear so many horror stories about it. Plus it seems every dog I come in contact with just in my neighborhood on walks is aggressive. They will be in their yard or in the house going nuts barking away when I walk by with Lucian. I've even had one guy that practically got drug across the street by his dog. It's a bit scary. I want him socialized with other dogs though.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am

In off peak hours it's usually better. With Ewe being such an idiot the majority of the time- we have started going when it's not busy so other dogs don't take a chunk out of him.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I haven't taken kale to a dog park in months and he's fine. My boyfriends parents have 9 dogs, so I take him over here occasaionally so he can get his play on. I used to take him all the time, but there has been an influx of ridiculous owners with non-socialized dogs, so I just do play dates instead.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
This is why I'm kind of apprehensive about taking Lucian to the dog park. He just finished his last round of puppy vaccines for us to go. But I hear so many horror stories about it. Plus it seems every dog I come in contact with just in my neighborhood on walks is aggressive. They will be in their yard or in the house going nuts barking away when I walk by with Lucian. I've even had one guy that practically got drug across the street by his dog. It's a bit scary. I want him socialized with other dogs though.

Dogs behave very differently when on leash on walks and in dog parks. When I had my other two before they pasted away, they were very agressive on walks but in the dog park, they just played and played and were fine when I walked them with the other dogs from the park. I believe it is a territorial thing when dogs fence fight or a protection thing that drops when off leash in the park.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 pm

In our park, since we have to pay to get in, if an agressive dog comes in and the owner can't control it, all we have to do is call the park manager and the dog will be banned and an attack is a life time ban from the park. We had one guy bring a red-zoned rotty in, it was fine for about 4 visits and then one day it attacked another alpha male sending that dog to the emergency vet, luckily it lived as was fine but the owner and dog were banned. We din't find out about it being a red-zone dog until after the attack. I have been going to the park for 6 years now and there has only been 1 other case like this and that othe case, the owner took her dogs out and never returned because she couldn't control or trust them.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:35 pm

I'll give the dog park a try in the near future. Probably once my husband is off of school. The one near us doesn't allow kids, for obvious reasons, and I'm at home with my 3 year old all day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trouble at the dog park    park - Trouble at the dog park  Empty

Back to top Go down

Trouble at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1