It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

That Infamous Prey Drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

That Infamous Prey Drive Empty
PostSubject: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I have an interesting observation from this morning that led to a question for you other Husky folk. While running as dawn began to lighten the sky ever so slightly, I noticed something in the field we were passing. Tons of little white puffs zipping around in every direction. That was when I realized that Coco and Ridik's fixation has infected me as well. I really wanted to just get over that fence and chase those rabbits around. Now I possess a new understanding and appreciation for how badly they want to chase them. Catching that slight movement out of the corner of your eye, and seeing them buzzing around like ants was intriguing to say the least.

So... ¿Has owning a Husky affected your prey drive?
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Sitka took down a goat once. I now have an urge to take down a goat as well.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm not sure my prey drive has increased as I like most things and do not wish death on them unless its ants. I can say that my senses have risen as I now try to be more alert about the surroundings to anticipate any sudden extra pull on the leash and a tighter grip on the loop. I also become more curious about things the dogs seem to see and want to check out that I don't see. like this morning on our walk I did not see the little birds on the ground by the bushes until the dogs were almost on top of them. but I did see a dog in the street up ahead before they did and Sierra caught a glimpse of it as we were turning and Jack was to fixed on finding the cat that has been driving him nuts, he sits on the sofa and just looks out side for anything he wants and when he sees it he goes crazy and then wants to go outside. in fact it must have been something good these last two mornings as Sierra has even jumped on the sofa to look outside. silly dogs!

The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:21 pm

A goat? I'm gonna need some more 'splainin on that one.

Jenn, sounds like your situational awareness has benefited from Husky ownership.
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

Male Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Loki has killed approximately...Nothing. I wish he was more fierce Mad
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 pm

I too, like Jen, have heightened senses :] Whenever we walk, i'm always on the lookout for anything small and alive. ESPECIALLY when a cold snap hits i have to be on the lookout for Comatose Iguanas sprawling across the sidewalk or cleverly hidden amongst the greenery.
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
rudukai13 wrote:

Fierce don't mean squat unless they can use it properly.

When this lil idiot tried to slay her first woodchuck approaching from the front instead of from behind like Mylo does, not so dandy results.

Shocked Ow. Well the only thing he's tried to chase is when we take him swimming and there are ducks out in the middle of the lake, but they just fly away whenever he gets somewhat close.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 am

Heh, stupid Husky. That reminds me of Ridik trying to chase rabbits at my grandparents place. He runs into trees because he has no sense of intercepting. It's all FOLLOW FOLLOW FOLLOW!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I too, like Jen, have heightened senses :] Whenever we walk, i'm always on the lookout for anything small and alive. ESPECIALLY when a cold snap hits i have to be on the lookout for Comatose Iguanas sprawling across the sidewalk or cleverly hidden amongst the greenery.

with spring right around the corner we will now be on high alert for TOADS! Sierra seems to find them fun to catch and then realize how bad they taste, I'm afraid she will get sick one of these times when we are not fast enough to move her before coming across one.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
rudukai13 wrote:

Fierce don't mean squat unless they can use it properly.

When this lil idiot tried to slay her first woodchuck approaching from the front instead of from behind like Mylo does, not so dandy results.

That Infamous Prey Drive Img1112u

That Infamous Prey Drive Img1111f

maybe it's the man in you put you took pictures of the damage! I would have been running around crazy trying to get her cleaned up and to the vet, pictures would have been an afterthought! any ways i hope she has gotten smarter now after that. where was she bleeding from?

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Ouch...
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 am

When it was still Tia, Kessie & Nanuk, one of them caught a rabbit. (Think it was Nanuk, as Tia & Kessie were pretty old, and can't picture them moving fast enough.)Anyway, some sort of tug-of-war ensued, since Tia had the head and Nanuk was flinging around the body...We think Nanuk caught it, had no idea what to do with it, and Tia stepped in and said "Give it here, I'LL show you what to do with it!"...It did not encourage me to do the same, I must say. All the blood all over them! YUCK! Shocked

Isis is especially adept at catching moles (lots of practice digging for them)....but again, neither she nor Nookie know quite what to do with it. I think they scare them to death, as there is never any marks on the moles. They are just laying there on their back, Micky Mouse paws in the air, dead. Again, not interested in chasing moles myself.

However, I must say it has made me more aware of the surroundings. When they see something and react, I am now interested in what they are seeing, smelling or hearing.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 pm

All your stories are great! I would say my situational awareness has definitely benefited from these two. We took them on a walk downtown today (it's a very dog-friendly city) and while we were in the park there were some ducks. I was shocked that they didn't notice them earlier, but Hailey was CLAWING to get at them, my goodness!

My sister's dog (a black german shepherd mix) is now nicknamed "Bunny". My sister has a sick sense of humor. I'm sure you can all guess why. LOL.

That Infamous Prey Drive Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That Infamous Prey Drive   That Infamous Prey Drive Empty

Back to top Go down

That Infamous Prey Drive

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1