It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

warning on mushing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

Male Join date : 2009-05-24

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyFri May 29, 2009 5:29 am

but i must warn you its addictive Shocked
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyFri May 29, 2009 10:45 am

ooo.... he's goooood.
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Raven
Newborn
Newborn

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 7:52 pm

i want to get started how can i
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Old topic but oh my Lord what a rush. Drove 381 miles round trip today to fetch my Diggler Alpha Dawg Scooter from a Craigslist ad in Adams, NY (near Watertown). Decided I wasn't going to wait until tomorrow as we have rain in the forecast. Hooked up the kidz and ahhh shit man way cooler then the sled and hell of a lot faster. Adobo on line is such a fantastic runner a natural lead dog. Biko being the youngster is in need of improvement cause once he thinks he has run enough thinks it his duty to harass Adobo as she runs. Neither one of them like the neckline so I leave it off for now but I've got to get them use to it as I think it'll improve Biko's attention to the run.

The run itself I'd say was run in 1/3's, of an old railroad bed, bike path and my street on the home stretch. The bike path and street ride portions were smooth as silk even with the knobby tires on the scooter. The railroad bed obviously bumpy but tolerable even though I think several of my demons got bounced outta my head. Steering the scooter was really so simple and even made the dogs easier to handle then the sled. Easier then the bike also for control because of the lower center of gravity and no need to worry about planting your head on the concrete if the dog(s) made a sudden squirrel turn to the left or right. If they make the sharp turn hop off the scooter keep your hands on the handle bar brakes and plant your feet on the ground then reel them in for an ass chewing. Feared it might become a balancing act once the dogs start running but very very stable even on the bumpy ride section. All this I figured out from my 1st time out, so if Mr. Two Left Feet can do it anybody can.

Question for Mr Fluffy Pants,(still lurking I hope) have you or anyone you know run the dogs in a single line? I'm thinking about putting Adobo up front solo then figuring out an attachment for Biko to run behind her since he doesn't mind his manner very well yet.

(Time for the Go Pro cam to make a video.ASAP)

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 am

Nice to see u back Len! I can't wait for the video. It sounds like so much fun. I have to say remembering the sled stories I cept waithing for something to go wrong this time, glad it was a smooth ride.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:26 am

Jenn - would you like to hook up S&J to my scooter? Smile

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

Ha! I was wondering who bumped this thing.

You're using the line you bought right? What is the main line made of? Since mine were fashioned up all on my own I had a lot more options with snipping and cutting and splicing. I used 3/8" hollow poly pro rope with bungee for the main line. Then with the nifty little thing that comes with the rope, I was able to braid in another line wherever I wanted it. It took a few practice splices to get it right, but that stuff is STRONG when done correctly. Thing is almost three years old now and still strong enough for four sled heads.

¿Pics of the gear?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 pm

harrise wrote:
Ha! I was wondering who bumped this thing.

You're using the line you bought right? What is the main line made of? Since mine were fashioned up all on my own I had a lot more options with snipping and cutting and splicing. I used 3/8" hollow poly pro rope with bungee for the main line. Then with the nifty little thing that comes with the rope, I was able to braid in another line wherever I wanted it. It took a few practice splices to get it right, but that stuff is STRONG when done correctly. Thing is almost three years old now and still strong enough for four sled heads.

¿Pics of the gear?

Pretty much all the lines are poly line. The mainline (white) has the built in bungee which I received when I bought the sled back in December. The gangline (green), lil green neckline I bought from Alpine Outfitters along with the 2 harnesses that are shown. The black neckline I made myself from old lead made it about 4" longer the the standard 16" as both dogs hated the 16"er, seems they hate the one I made just as much.Last but not least the Diggler Alpha Dawg scooter picked up off of Craigslist for $100. Had to drive about 370 miles round trip but it was an easy drive to outside Watertown, NY from Akron, NY as we were cruising on the NY State Thruway.

warning on mushing Marchapril2011017

warning on mushing Marchapril2011033

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Okay finally got out for a bit yesterday with the scooter. Adobo is such a pro great stride and such. Biko is more like what the hell is this. Watch Adobo she really enjoys herself once she has her pace in place. Biko on the other paw would prefer to stay home and watch the video. If I wasn't so clumsy things would have been smoother the first 20-30 seconds

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Wow that looks like so much fun!!!!!! I wish we had so much land like this in Miami =(

Adobo and Biko are too cute!
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 pm

That looks like a lot of fun. Hope to do this in the upcoming winter. Too hot right now in Texas. I live at the beach and it is pretty much deserted during cold weather.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Aw, she really does look like she's having a lot of fun.

I got the hook up with the scooter and scooter line and harness, but Ginger needs a partner in crime. If we end up adopting Storm, we'll have to trim Storm down (a lot), and get him in shape which will take a least a year.

We got Ginger hooked up one morning. I was on the scooter with Ginger, and hubby was on the bike out in front coaching Ginger. It was a blast!

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:12 am

Wow, good find on the Diggler. Wish I could say I only payed $100 for mine! My girls and I have gotten a lot of good use out of our scooter. I've been saving up for a new pawtrekker scooter. Boring time for me and my girls right now, still snow on the trails. Not enough to sled or ski on, and too much to bike or scooter through!
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:26 am

Man I want that scooter! I'd feel more safe using a scooter than a bike, but holy crap $500?? D:
Back to top Go down

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 am

I think they have a doggie scooter for $300, but I could be wrong..
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Legend_of_Faolan wrote:
Man I want that scooter! I'd feel more safe using a scooter than a bike, but holy crap $500?? D:

If your handy at making things (i'm not) do a Google on "dog scooter plans" it might work for you. I had been tempted but common sense took over for me.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 2:55 am

I just started mushing about 5-6 months ago!! It is addicting! I want another dog too!! Though tumbles like to day make me sad because, Im too sore to mush!! lol
Back to top Go down
staciez
Newborn
Newborn
staciez

Female Join date : 2012-01-24

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 am

COOL video!!! For some reason, I feel way less stable on a scooter than a bike. I don't know, just feel I have more control on a bike or something, but friends of mine swear by the scooters! Whatever works.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeponsledding.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

warning on mushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: warning on mushing   warning on mushing Empty

Back to top Go down

warning on mushing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1