It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Multiple questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey guys, I'm getting rather stressed out and I know Juno is too. She is a really big handful and I feel like I've bit off way more then I can chew. I know I've only had her home for a day but it's hard. She reminds me way to much of my first pet which makes it even harder. I really don't want to give up on her.

First question: I got her an XL crate and XL bed for it. It is the 48 inch one so it is REALLY big. Is this fine or should I buy a smaller one and return the big one?

Second question: When I left today she whined and cried for the first few minutes. I left her a bully stick and was only gone for 90 minutes. She devoured it. When I came home, she was so excited she peed her bed and peed as soon as I let her out. I know this has something to do with separation anxiety. I been reading the here how to break it but can't get it.

Third question: How do I break her from jumping on the furniture and bed? I am saying off and pointing at the ground in a calm voice as soon as she gets on.

Fourth question: Should I make her sleep in her crate at night with the door open or let her roam the house?

Please, advice needed Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm

How old is Juno?
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm

If she is not potty trained, I'd say leave the bed out of the crate for now...Otherwise you'll be washing it ALL the time.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Just looked in the other thread, said approx. 2 years old.

You have to relax. She hasn't been home a day yet.

If she's an excitable pee-er you're going to need to make coming in and letting her out the most boring thing ever. Don't make excited noises or even say hello. Just let her out and take her out. The more you make movements or speak the more excited she will be.

Since she is a new dog to your family and has been crate trained- I would encourage crating during the night and when you're away.

If you don't want her on couches and such you'll need to teach her that. Dogs aren't programmed to know what "off" means lol! Keep a leash on her and when she gets up on the couch, take her by the leash and lead her off. Don't drag her off.

I always make an effort to wipe out my new dogs the first week or so. Everything is new (read: exciting) and usually they're a bit more "amped." Stepping up exercise and really tiring them out is very helpful.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah I agree if she's not potty trained I'd get a crate with dividers if the crate is too big and put those up so he has enough room to stand up turn around and lay down and put down some old towels or something you don't mind her peeing on. The bed will just get ruined at this point. Also keep her in the crate at night with the door shut so she can't get out and get on the furniture or anywhere she can't pee or poop without you knowing. You can either set an alarm or she will bark or cry to wake you up and let you know she needs to go out. Don't give up. It is rough but if you pull through and put in the extra effort the love you get back makes it all worth it!
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey guys. Sorry I didn't answer earlier. We just finished her second walk for today. Each one was only one hour long, but she is pooped. I intend on walking her in the morning before work and then before dinner. That way she continues to get her exercise.

Thanks for the tip about making it less exciting. As soon as I inserted the key in the door, she started howling and going crazy. My dad suggested moving her crate to the laundry room, which is 3 feet away from the back door. The only problem with that, is that the room gets quite a bit warmer than the rest of the house.

She is potty trained and able to hold it. I think it's just part of the separation anxiety.
Back to top Go down
TreemanAndy
Newborn
Newborn
TreemanAndy

Male Join date : 2012-12-01

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:36 pm

When I adopted my 3 year old the shelter recommended having her tethered to me any time I was home for the first 10 days. This way I learned how she acted around her new surroundings and she could learn what I was all about. This also allows you to stop stop her from getting on furniture or if she's about to have an accident you can interrupt her and take her outside. It worked well for me.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip Andy! She made it through the first day and night without any accidents. Other then wanting to jump on the bed.

Anyone have a recommendation on the crate? Is the 48 inch one okay or probably to big?
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

The size of the crate is more pertinent for younger puppies. It is a general rule of thumb that dogs won't defecate where they sleep. Puppies and to some extent, adolescents only needs enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. At two years though, the size of the crate is really a non factor, and in fact, your pup probably welcomes the space. I have to believe that at two years old, puppy has to have some kind of potty training, but like others said, some dogs are excited leakers.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Thank you Sean.

How do I get her to sleep in her crate?
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Luna hated sleeping in the crate at first, we just stuck it out and eventually she knew when we went to bed she went to her crate. Also she doesn't like having a bed in her crate (she gets too hot), maybe that would help?
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 pm

I can try. This morning she ended up sleeping at the edge of my bed. I bought her a kong bed for my bedroom. Her crate has one of those crate beds. The white Grreat great brands
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Multiple questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple questions   Multiple questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Multiple questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1