It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! Empty
PostSubject: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm

As many of you know, Chili went through three major surgeries at the same time a couple weeks ago. He had a parathyroid tumor (benign), had a liver biopsy and had his stomach tacked to prevent bloat (This was elective - he's larger than most huskies). He's healing great but still has long term liver issues that they don't know the cause of. We are managing his liver issues with medication and are feeding him a liver cleansing diet.

We were able to give him the best care possible and save his life because we planned ahead when we adopted him. We got pet insurance, we set aside a bank account for emergency vet expenses and paid off all our credit cards so we could charge large amounts in case he got sick. All of that planning paid off and massively helped us focus on his recovery in a very stressful time so we didn't have to worry about the money. Once they received all of the paperwork from the vet (the only delay), they processed our claim within days. They will also be covering his meds, which is handy because they will cost $700/month the first few months.

Definitely do your research on sites like www.doggiehealthinsurance.com and www.petinsurancereviews.com so you understand what each policy covers and doesn't cover, and reimbursement rates. We went with 90% coverage and a $500 yearly deductible and pay about $30-35 per dog. Totally worth the peace of mind even if we didn't have to claim!

We are extremely happy with Healthy Paws and they even sent an email asking how Chili is doing and to give him a big hug! Smile
http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

That's good to hear! I've been wanting to tackle pet insurance for a while now. I guess I need to get off my lazy butt and do it.

Glad to hear Chili's doing better and that Healthy Paws stood behind you 100%! I think I was actually going to go with them too. I think it's family owned or something along those lines.

Thanks for the post. I hope Chili heals fast. Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks, Jackie! It was super tough the first week and especially the first day in recovery since he was flailing around and out of it. The hospital was really great and the staff was so nice and supportive to all of us! I even got to snuggle up with him in a private room the second day he was there.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

I checked into pet insurance. At the time I found Pet Plan to be the most cost effective for the coverage, but I didn't check into Healthy Paws. I think Storm and Chili is about the same age, right? Maybe this will be a better option as Pet Plan would've cost more for Storm.

Thanks for the info and feedback!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Glad it was helpful, Claudia! Chili's 6 1/2 (ish - he was stray, so no idea of that's correct) and we signed him up when he was 4. Frosti's a few dollars less per month, she's turning three next week. You can enroll any dog up to 14 years of age and they cover hereditary conditions.

They had fantastic reviews but until you get that check in hand you never really know how fantastic it is. They sent us an email with an itemized explanation of the claim reimbursement on each claim and I could email them scanned in claims (or my vet could).

I also love that they donate to homeless animals! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!   Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back! Empty

Back to top Go down

Love, love, love our Pet Insurance! Just got over $6k back!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1