It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are your views?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shurabunax
Newborn
Newborn

What are your views? Empty
PostSubject: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 pm

What are you views on off lead huskies? How much freedom do you give to your Husky or huskies? xx I believe in letting my two have as much freedom as possible within reason ofcourse xx
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 12:55 pm

I don't let my huskies off leash EVER. It's not worth the risk for me as they both have fairly high prey drives.

In general, huskies are not off leash dogs. They will run, explore and investigate everything. With their stamina and because of their independence (not feeling the need to be at his human's side all the time), they will more often run so far that they won't know where they are anymore, don't have the energy to make it home, or get hit by a car, etc.

That's not to say that I haven't been tempted. I let Koda off leash once and only once. He just took off into the woods, not listening to my calls for anything. He finally (about 3-5 mins later that felt like an eternity) came sauntering back and I dive-tackled him to the ground. Not worth the anxiety or the panic in my mind.

Hailey is another story. She happens to have EXTREMELY good recall for a husky. She's also an escape artist and manages to unclip herself from her lead. Both times she has gotten off leash in the yard, she dove right into the pond. However, the moment I came outside and called her back she came RIGHT back to me. That doesn't mean that I let her off leash though, and we intend to get a new lead with a better clip.

I've heard many stories about how "my husky's different" or "I've trained mine real well" but I've also heard those people tell me their sob story about their off leash husky getting hit by a car or tangling themselves up in a barbed wire fence going after a dear. For example, in my old town, Koda had a "twin" named Sasha who was "an off-leash husky." We were walking Koda one day and Sasha was out with her owners. The moment she saw Koda, she bolted into the middle of the main street to run and greet him. Nearly got hit by three cars and her owners almost died trying to get her back. Sasha has extremely good recall and almost never has a leash on. Worth it? Not in my opinion.

What are your views? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Shurabunax
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Shuras got off the lead a few times in our cul - de - sak and has mostly come apart from the one time i tackled her. We are in an enclosed area, the other day and yesterday we hooked her up to our lab and let her walk about both times she stayed by my side unless i said otherwise. We wont be doing it oftern just every now and then. when its quite. xx
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

It has taken me years to get to the point that I can hike with my dogs off lead. That's only in the mountains. Around town or around the house the Husky is always on leash. The Malamutes are real mellow, so they get to hang out in the front yard or go sans leash in the field near us. I can see it in Ridik's eyes, I can NEVER trust him.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Shurabunax wrote:
Shuras got off the lead a few times in our cul - de - sak and has mostly come apart from the one time i tackled her. We are in an enclosed area, the other day and yesterday we hooked her up to our lab and let her walk about both times she stayed by my side unless i said otherwise. We wont be doing it oftern just every now and then. when its quite. xx
She's a year old right? You haven't hit her rebellious stage yet. Wink She's just entering her teenage years. As puppies, most dogs are good off leash as they are too timid to leave their owner's side. It's not a guarantee, but I would bet money that in the next year, you'll notice a change in her. She'll push your limits, see what she can get away with, and start exploring more on her own without you.

About 6 months to two years is when most people surrender their huskies. There's a reason they're the most commonly surrendered dog in the US. I'm not saying this to scare you, because I can tell you already love her and will do right by her no matter what. I just think it's VERY important not to let your dog lure you into a false sense of security. If you think dogs aren't that smart, huskies are Wink All it takes is that one time, and I think other members would back me up on that. Huskies are quite good at making you feel confident enough to give in to them... then when you do, 90% of the time you wish you hadn't.

For the record too... I've had off leash dogs before. Certain breeds are made for it. Huskies just aren't one of them IMO.

What are your views? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Judging by the fact that you had to think about it enough to start a thread regarding huskies being off leash I know that deep down inside you think it's a bad idea too. You don't see these threads on Border Collie forums or other dog forums because it is well known that huskies can't be trusted of leash.

You even admitted it yourself when you said that you "won't be doing it often, just every now and then". If you truly thought it was safe than why wouldn't you do it all the time? You're taking a cautious approach because you know that the dog can't be trusted. You've answered your own question.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Shurabunax
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

I gess in away i have i just wanted to get other peoples opions. xx she is doing well but i dont trust her enough to do all the time as you said. xx
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Yeah. If you don't trust her enough to do it all the time than you shouldn't trust her to do it at all. It just takes one instance where she sees something out of the corner of her eye and runs away, next thing you know you're getting a call from some stranger that your dog got hit on the road. If you wanted an off lead dog you picked the wrong breed.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Shurabunax
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:22 pm

its why i put her with lola as she is great i dont always want her off its just at the front when we have bbqs and stuff xx
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Nope, won't do it. No way.....
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm

they are leashed AT ALL TIMES except the one time Jack let him self out the front door that i did not close all the way! he came back after a few calls thank god! sierra was still in the living room chewing on a bone. I do not trust them at all.

PostSubject: Re: What are your views?   What are your views? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are your views?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1