It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flea and tick prevention - All year round?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick prevention - All year round?   Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Did you see the charts at the end? That is the only important part. Had to read the whole thing before I just found the compiled data.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick prevention - All year round?   Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Did you see the charts at the end? That is the only important part. Had to read the whole thing before I just found the compiled data.

Yeah, I just saw that. The data is kind of all over the place. One of the products have over 80% of cases to misuse. I do see where the Hartz and other cheaper products look to have a higher rate of incidents. However, with both of our arguments, it is very difficult to find accurate data. I find that you can use data to make almost any point valid. Even if we had the actual number of pets affected, you would have to know if the pets had any other health issues, where they on other medications, did the person use the correct dosage?

Anyway, this got way off topic. I just wanted to put out there that there are so many unknowns with health issues and using topical treatments, and I don't believe that they are toxic and dangerous. You just have to know how to apply it, and if your dog has any other health issues or on medication you need to consult your vet before applying.

My original question was pretty much answered. It seems most people don't apply in the colder months due to the fact that fleas and ticks are less prevalent unless you routinely go to places with other dogs.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick prevention - All year round?   Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:31 pm

The most I do for my dogs is add tea tree oil in their shampoo when I bathe them. So far it's worked very well and have never had a flea issue-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick prevention - All year round?   Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

I give flea/tick prevention all year. Though, the thing called 'winter' doesn't really exist down here. In fact, I found a tick on Kavik the other day Evil or Very Mad I HATE those disgusting things. After dealing with a tick infestation two years ago I've tamed way down in accepting other kinds of bugs. I'll take ANY thing but ticks...or mange. pale Thankfully, they have a hard time getting through the undercoat. So...I'm just as interested in the best techniques to keep this things off or DEAD. I'll be following this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick prevention - All year round?   Flea and tick prevention - All year round? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Flea and tick prevention - All year round?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2