It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

few problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

Female Join date : 2012-12-07

few problems Empty
PostSubject: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:34 am

Yuki is overall a nice , good dog.
He play bites. But we tell him no and he'll stop and kiss you.
But he has these moments,usually at nighttime/after crateing that he doesn't care and will bite you hard. He even tried to bite my face. I tell him no!, ow!, ignoring him, the puppy noise,and have held his mouth shut for a second to get him to pay attention to me. Nothing works except me picking him up to calm him down,when I put him down he goes back to doing it.

Edit: he literally walked up to me and jumped on my face and bit me :l

As for crateing, he pushes his face through the bars, bites/shakes the bars, and howls. I don't want him to hurt his mouth, so should I just ignore him totally when I put him in there? The crate is facing my bed, so he can see me, but that doesn't stop him. I know there are threads about crateing and I've tried a lot. I feed himin his crate, hide treats, give him toys, tried a short amount of time through the day, play music, or leave the tv on. I have a test coming up so I need to get some sleep lol.

What do you guys think? Sorry for any misspellings I barley got sleep and am posting from my cellphone.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 am

It's all normal for a new pup.

Quote :
I tell him no!, ow!, ignoring him, the puppy noise,and have held his mouth shut for a second to get him to pay attention to me.

Those are a bunch of different corrections. He is very new to your house and your rules, but if you keep changing what you are doing every time he can't learn what a correction actually is.

Try and tone it down to one or two corrections. No more than that. Find what really doesn't work for him and makes him worse and limit that. For a puppy that young also use body language and your voice to get your message across. If they bite too hard with their parents, or siblings, it is expressed loud and to the point. Making sure you are stern and direct when you make the correction will help get the point across more than any touch can do most of the time.

Quote :
As for crateing, he pushes his face through the bars, bites/shakes the bars, and howls. I don't want him to hurt his mouth, so should I just ignore him totally when I put him in there?

Ideally you want to progress slowly at it, and extend the period of time within it.

What may help is not just using the crate at night. Moving the crate back and forth if you can between the living area of your house and where you sleep.

That way if when ever Yuki falls asleep you just drop him in the crate, he is always around you, and you can see him. You could leave the door opened at first just so he could get used to sleeping inside, or close it and just deal with the outbursts right away, but the more time he spends inside and relaxed inside the easier it is, even if that relaxed time is spent sleeping it goes a long way.

If you're positive he doesn't need to eliminate, You could use those times to wait out his outbursts and completely ignore him until he is calm and has given up. He shouldn't be able to do any real damage to his mouth or teeth, unless he is real feral when put inside, but some fight at first is normal and to be expected. When he relaxes open it up and reward him how ever.

It isn't an over night thing. Just keep at it and it can only get better. Tika was crate trained and not whining within a week or two.

Best of luck,
~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Very good advice but I would never recommend rewarding a dog for coming out of the crate. Only for going it. Let them out with no fanfare. Just my humble opinion. I am not having luck with Mishka crating during the day either. Just keep plugging way! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I agree, I never let them out when they were making a fuss. Only when they stopped crying did i open the crate. And when putting them in, I have always given a small treat when they go in their crates.

All you have to say is Nikko, upstairs and he goes right in his crate. He knows exactly what time is crate time too, he will wait for the signs that I turn off the TV.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Ha ha. Mishka will go to the bedroom door when she is ready for bed and just look at me.
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Koopa bites the bars on his cage when he's mad too, and I was fearful of him hurting himself too. We left his box open in our living room for a while so he could go in there without being trapped.
The main thing that has helped Koopa is having a routine. We tell him "okay Koopa, lets get in our box" then we go to the ice dispenser and get about 3 pieces and put them in his box. Then we say "let's get in our box" again and he trots in there, excited about his ice. We could do the same thing when it was open. He would get his ice then come back out as he wanted. But he started associating the box with getting ice. And you can do that all day because ice won't make him fat lol!
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Ice is a good idea. Thanks for that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

few problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: few problems   few problems Empty