It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

need opinions on a few different things

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

need opinions on a few different things Empty
PostSubject: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm

So I have my two pups on twenty foot leashs as tie outs right now but I need to find a good cable for them to sit outside on. I had gotten one from menards for a higher weight dog but returned it three days later bcause the plastic coating had broken all up the cable, the metal had already started rusting and we could not properly or easily pull back the clasp to attach it to their collars. Unfortunately we are not aloud fences so they have to be tied outside, any suggestions on a good cable tie out? I would use a chain but they are tied to the porch so it will ruin the wood. Not that Jasper isnt already chewing the porch up!

And I am wondering your opinions on the pet barriers vs. a harness teathered to a tie down for car rides. I drive a 97 blazer my sister has a 98 bravada and these are typically the cars that the dogs are in. We have had no problems with Bella and Jasper in the car and usually just fold down half the seat in back and my nephews car seat goes on the single seat so they get the run of the car, typically laying down right behind the driver seat and laying on the console or standing by fred kissing him. My problem is that my sister is pregnant so come september if we make a trip to go see grampa and great gramama we have two car seats set up and two huskies possibly my sisters pit retriever mix also and we cannot allow them to jump the seat like they would do know if we left it up. I am leery of a barrier because I dont want Bella Jasper and Honee jumping at it and knocking it onto the baby and toddler and possibly doing damage to the truck also. So I am thinking of getting just the typical harness from petsmart and short teathers for all three dogs because both our trucks have four tie downs in the back. What would you guys suggest? I wont need it for a while but I want to start planning to get things now. We get to see how all three dogs react to going for a car ride together sunday cause everyone going for their shots finally and a vet appointment will be together also because my truck is down and theres either not enough room in the other family members vehicles or they just wont let the fur buckets in them.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm

If you get a harness, you can just use a 'biner to attach the dog to the snapped shut seat belt.
Dog can't get in front seat. Dog is safe in case of accident.

The problem with barriers is that the dog is loose and can be still thrown in an accident.
My last husky ate one of the seat belts that extended past the barrier when we left him for awhile in there.

Last edited by jalepeno on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm

My problem is I wont have the room in the seats for the dogs if we have me my sister my nephew and the new baby so I am trying to figure out a way to secure them away from the children. I have tie downs in my truck so I am thinking about harnessing them to the tie downs in the back.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Perhaps kids and sister taking a seperate car would eliminate the problem altogether. Its more gas, but I think 2 adults, 2 carseats, and 3 dogs, plus cargo is quite a big load.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 pm

I also agree with taking separate cars..that sounds like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

As for the seat belt/barriers...I am also wondering about that. I'm not really sure what I want to do with my girls. With a seat belt or leash tied to the seat, you risk that in case you get in a car accident, your dog has so escape route and without a barrier, could be flown forward if you had to slam on your breaks.

With a barrier though, as stated above they would be thrown around in a accident. I know a lot of people who have gone both ways, or just give their dogs the free run of the back seat/ trunk area. So far, my favorite "restraint" system has been a tied leash and a hammock style seat protector. But I am undecided as of yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:11 am

I have a barrier in my Jeep Liberty and I love it. The rear of the Jeep is not large, just bigger than a crate really. The barrier was installed by the dealer and does not come out. I could take two dogs but because it is a rather small area, it would have to be a short trip. I have only owned one dog at I time so this hasn't been a problem.

For you though, I think using two cars might be the safest
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:05 am

I'm not sold on barrier vs seat belt, But keeping them secure is a must. Not only for the dog, but you too. A 50lb dog flying around a car due to an accident can kill a person. especially a child/infant.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 am

Prior to getting the dog box for the truck we'd load up travel crates in the back seat area of the Megacab....yes we lost quite a bit of space but the dogs were safe and that is the most important thing. I second the securing your animals not just for their safety but yours as well. Many people don't think in these terms but a loose dog is a projectile in an accident. No one ever plans to get in an accident, hence the term, but life can change in the blink of an eye. I is sad to see people hurt, it's harder when innocent lives are involved that needn't be. From a FF/AEMT's perspective and animal lover it's harder on us than you would probably believe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need opinions on a few different things   need opinions on a few different things Empty

Back to top Go down

need opinions on a few different things

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1