It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What is an Alaskan Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

What is an Alaskan Husky? Empty
PostSubject: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 pm

The more people use it the confuse I get about it. I only know one type of husky, but once in a while i will hear Alaskan Husky. My vet and research agree theres no such thing as an Alaskan husky. What's the different between them and a Siberian Husky if they Do exist?
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

The difference between an Alaskan and siberian Husky.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/huskyalaskansiberian.htm
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Siberian Husky is a pure breed of dog. Alaskan Husky is a mix breed with Siberian Husky in them to create a better sled dog. Alaskan Huskies are mutts that are good at sledding. Some don't even look like huskies and some kinda do. Basically you can think of them as sled dog mutts with a dash of Siberian Husky somewhere in the mixing that were created in Alaska- so they were nicknamed Alaskan Huskies. Doubt you will ever come across one outside of Alaska sled teams.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Actually...Alaskan huskies have been around for a very long time. They aren't new.

The Alaskan husky of today is a mix of scent and sight hounds and herding breeds for different various functions/reasons. Speed, more biddability, drive to work etc.

What is an Alaskan Husky? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 pm

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, but Alaskan huskies can include mixes which don't even resemble Sibes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurohound

I guess the real question is what do you mean by "exist"? There are some breeds which just aren't recognized by major organizations (Tamaskan, Labrador Husky, etc.) and then there are those terms which are applied to grouping of dogs, but don't constitute actual breeds (McKenzie River husky, Alaskan husky, etc.). Alaskan huskies "exist" in the sense that I could find for you a dog which meets the criteria for the term and you could touch it (race it even), but they don't "exist" in the sense that we can't take 10 mutts with husky lineage and say some subset are Alaskan huskies and the remainder are not with any degree of certainty because the term is defined in a fuzzy way.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Panzer, owned by Eric, is an Alaskan Husky, so we even have them on the forum!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

They are mixes. The word "husky" means native. So they are native to Alaska. Everyone else explained.
Back to top Go down
Kymcole25
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to drop in and add a couple pictures from our trip to Alaska over the summer. We had the chance to go to a training camp and hang out with several dogs and pups. It was a BLAST and I'd highly recommend everyone doing it if you have the chance!

While at the mushers camp we got to talk with Greg Sellentin, of mushing.com, about the variations within the breed and found out that each musher breeds for different reasons; strength, speed, endurance, etc. It was AMAZING!

Anywho, here are the pictures... Smile

What is an Alaskan Husky? Iy3o7m
What is an Alaskan Husky? 2lx9kk4
What is an Alaskan Husky? 2hmixd1
What is an Alaskan Husky? F4r1uo
What is an Alaskan Husky? 2dighs3
What is an Alaskan Husky? Abjccm
What is an Alaskan Husky? 2d7vx36
What is an Alaskan Husky? 11h6nuq

Back to top Go down
http://serenitycovekleekai.blogspot.com/
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 am

I suppose I should chime in a bit, as an owner of an Alaskan husky, and mixed breed working dog advocate.

Everyone has posted a ton of great information. Alaskan Huskies are just sled dogs. They aren't a breed. Their standard is to be sleek, fast, and have a lot of endurance. A lot of the time they are bred and maintained in the 100's, and the breeding programs focus is on producing what is basically gaming livestock, not a pet quality dog. As such, Alaskan huskies make very difficult pets. They can have anything from Border Collie, to Siberian Husky, to Malamute, to German Shep, to German Shorthairedd Pointer, to Viszla, and more in them. I believe mine is Siberian and Border Collie, mostly,

They certaintly exist, and in the sledding world, they excel. Siberian Huskies are a breed standard that, I may be incorrect in this, are bred to conform to the teams of Leonard Seppala and that guy who owned Balto and got all the credit for the Serum Run, Instead of leonard and Togo.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 am

K9_Eric wrote:
I suppose I should chime in a bit, as an owner of an Alaskan husky, and mixed breed working dog advocate.

Everyone has posted a ton of great information. Alaskan Huskies are just sled dogs. They aren't a breed. Their standard is to be sleek, fast, and have a lot of endurance. A lot of the time they are bred and maintained in the 100's, and the breeding programs focus is on producing what is basically gaming livestock, not a pet quality dog. As such, Alaskan huskies make very difficult pets. They can have anything from Border Collie, to Siberian Husky, to Malamute, to German Shep, to German Shorthairedd Pointer, to Viszla, and more in them. I believe mine is Siberian and Border Collie, mostly,

They certaintly exist, and in the sledding world, they excel. Siberian Huskies are a breed standard that, I may be incorrect in this, are bred to conform to the teams of Leonard Seppala and that guy who owned Balto and got all the credit for the Serum Run, Instead of leonard and Togo.

I thought Togo was a Seppala bred dog too?

Edit: never mind, re-read your post and realized what you were saying.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 am

Togo was leonard seppala's lead dog, and the more impressive, more enduring, and less celebrated dog. Balto and team are better known.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am

K9_Eric wrote:

i would have to say i have several friends with alaskans and they say their temperment is better than that of your average husky. more biddable and trust worthy. a couple live with cats and have no issues. i guess its how they are raised. my friend is even planning a litter this spring/fall to add to her team of alaskans and the lineage of them is amazing and her dogs are just everything i would want from a dog. the parents do look more husky, but the previous litter ( the mother came to my friend already pregnant, unknown to anyone) none of them look husky like, they look more bully breed and several of them have proven themselves both amazing work and home dogs.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Its definitely more to do with who raised them. They aren't typically bred for temperment, andd majority of the racing specific breeders I am acquainted with wouldn't release one of their dogs to a typical family home, because of what difficult pets they make, especially as they get older and more used to their kennel.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is an Alaskan Husky?   What is an Alaskan Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is an Alaskan Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1