It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need advice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alaina2809
Newborn
Newborn
alaina2809

Female Join date : 2013-02-19

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

Hi guys. I'm getting a husky on March 10th and I'm not allowed to have a fence where I live. What would you guys recommend so my baby boy can play outside without wandering off. I worry about the people in my neighborhood too. Since he's just a pup should I build an outdoor kennel or would a running line work fine. I just don't want the other dogs in my neighborhood to mess with him. No one really cares what their dogs do where I live. Thanks so much in advance.
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

Female Join date : 2012-12-07

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am

If you're worried about neighbors and their dogs.. what I'm thinking is if he was on a line then what if a dog came into your yard? He wouldn't be able to get away from it.

I'd say kennel, to be safe.

Unless you can watch him, or make sure no other dogs come into your yard.

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am

Tie out lines can work provided there is nothing they can get tangled on. You also don't want many high falls or jumps as those can cause other issues. You also run the risk of a cord snap and a free dog.

Invisible fences can sometimes work if you train from a young age, but some dogs develop tolerances to the correction over time or just because of how high their pain tolerance and stubbornness can be. If the prize is great enough on the other side they can at times just go right through for it.

Outdoor Kennels I don't tend to see as being equivalent to a fence or tieout as, normally, they don't give that level of freedom and roaming. I'm not knocking them, my family has just always used them more as a place to live or sleep as opposed to being "outside" and running around.

Your last option would be to only ever go out with the pup leashed, and if you are really that worried about other dogs in your neighborhood it is honestly the safest one.

If you have random dogs coming into your yard I would also go out of my way to find and clean any areas a random dog has voided it's bowels so as to avoid worms, parvo, and other diseases.

If it were me, and if what you described was accurate, I think I would be supervising all the time on a lead. That being said I'm also someone who waited 10 years before getting Teek so I could have a fence because I didn't want to deal with any of that Wink

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
alaina2809

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am

I plan to always be outside with my dog. Most of the time I will probably take him to a park that is near my house. There aren't many people that go there so I feel safe bringing my pup there. He would mainly be in the yard just on days where we couldn't get to the park or my dad's house and neighborhood. I'm going to try and talk my landlord into letting me get a fence. Hopefully things go well and she will understand my need for one. I have a nasty neighbor that is always looking for some way to mess with me and my fiance.

If I did a kennel I would have my dad custom make one that would be big enough for him to run around in and keep other dogs out. I've looked online and big kennels are expensive. It would be easier to have my dad make me a custom one. Our yard is flat so if we got a line we wouldn't have to worry about hills and dips in the ground. I just worry so much about other dogs going after my little guy. I haven't seen any attacks in the neighborhood but I haven't been here that long either. Thanks for the help guys.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am

What is the reason for not allowing a fence? I feel like if they don't want a fence, they wouldn't want a big kennel built either, as they're not exactly attractive structures.

If you always plan to be outside with him, I think a tie out would do just fine.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am

we use a tie out because we cant have a fence either. So for the time being (until lease is up) my pup does fine. Just be careful about objects your pup can get tangled around and measuring the exact length you would need if you decide to go that route. we accidentally got one thats 5 feet too long and she could just go far enough to get into the neighbors yard- not good! also know that the line is a human trip wire. Every time i go out to play with her i have to hop over the line and constantly watch it to avoid being taken out by a hyper husky! Our pup is 25lbs but when she runs full force and that line comes towards my legs affraid
Back to top Go down
alaina2809
Newborn
Newborn
alaina2809

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

The landlord feels that a fence would just be in the way because we don't have big yards as it is. I live in a trailer park for the time being but we are trying desperately to get out of it because simply put it will be too small for our dog once he gets bigger. While he is a pup it should be okay. The lady I'm buying him from has five huskies in her trailer and it works fine for her but I feel like my baby won't have enough room.

Tell me about it. My dad's dog is a jack russell pomerainian mix and when she runs at you and you get hit with the line you are going down. My pup went and got his first shots yesterday and he's a whooping 12 lbs. I can not wait until March 10 when I can go pick him up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice.   Need advice. Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1