It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My dog would never bite....REALLY?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

My dog would never bite....REALLY? Empty
PostSubject: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am

I don't think I will ever take my dog to Petco. We were there last week and a huge fight broke out between 2 dogs. This evening I ran over to the shopping center to met my oldest daughter. We went in Petco to see if we could find the dog treats that someone was telling us about. There was 7-8 dogs in the store. This lady with a mini Komondor comes in and people are going crazy for her dog, you don't see them often around here (this is the first I've ever seen in person).

Anyway, we walk by and my youngest daughter (Cool sees the Komondor and was telling me how neat she thought it looked. The lady goes "you can pet her, she's really nice, she won't bite you". I was polite and told her that her dog was really pretty but we don't allow our daughter to pet strange dogs. It wasn't 2 minutes later her dog gets into a HUGE fight with a poodle. The Komondor started it from what I could see. The lady goes "Oh my, I have never seen her act like that before". Then she goes on to say how the poodle must have rubbed her the wrong way. REALLY?? Thought the Komondor was really nice and would never bite?

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 am

Dog agression and human agression can be very different and not linked at all. Not that I am defending the actions of the dog, but there is a very good chance the dog is completely safe with humans.

I don't take my dogs into Petco or Petsmart either. We have a few small boutiques I will go to and mom and pop stores, but otherwise I don't take them because of disease prevalence.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Dog agression and human agression can be very different and not linked at all. Not that I am defending the actions of the dog, but there is a very good chance the dog is completely safe with humans.

I agree, but if you dog is aggressive around other animals then why would you take them to a place like that? There were other adults and small children there who could have "gotten in the way". Judging by the way the lady reacted, and her tone, I would guess that this really isn't the first time the dog behaved this way.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 am

I would guess you are right. But, some people aren't responsible.

Hell, I've seen dog aggressive dogs at dog shows...how does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:42 am

Can't fix stupid!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 am

Growing up, we always had very people friendly dogs and didn't have anything to worry about. But if someone asked if they were friendly or if they bite, my would wold always say "they're friendly, but all dogs can bite..." I always thought it was a pretty good response.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 am

Anything with teeth can bite.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:21 am

Maggie has bite me and she is the worlds sweetest dog. Stupid is what stupid does.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Even Dog Aggression can be totally weird...

I've seen dogs that discriminate against poodles, huskies, GSDs, black dogs, bigger dogs, little dogs, humpers, males, females, etc.

Also, I'm not defending her, but it is worth mentioning she never said her dog didn't bite, she said her dog wouldn't bite your child.

My dogs have all 3 murdered small woodland creatures. They certaintly play bite each other, and Soshanna will take a gun from persons hand on sight. You can definitely say they do bite. However, if there was a young child here who had interest in my dogs (except Panzer), I would absolutely say "We can go pet them, they won't bite you". I'd supervise for safety, but unless one of those kids is a small rodent or a crow (or the quails I want to buy) my dogs are not going to do anything but lick someone to death.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:26 pm

K9_Eric wrote:
Also, I'm not defending her, but it is worth mentioning she never said her dog didn't bite, she said her dog wouldn't bite your child.

I do agree with what you are saying, I probably have said the same thing before. My point is that she had a dog aggressive dog in a crowded store with a lot of other dogs. Even if that dog wouldn't have went out to bite my daughter she could have very well be caught up in the middle of a dog fight. What really upset me was when we left the store the lady was staying outside with her dog. She was chatting with another woman (I believe a friend that was with her). She said something to the effect of "Coco really showed that poodle who was boss, I didn't think we would get out of there without her starting something, Oh well" Then she laughed about it. So she knew there was a very good chance that her dog would get into a fight with another dog.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Not defending the dog or the owner either, but Mya adores people. I can say confidently that she would not bite a human. Especially a child. Now put a dog near her and it's on. I do take her to the pet store every once in a while, but not let other dogs say hello to her. I immediately tell the owners that they can pet her if they like, but to keep the dog away (if they are with somebody that they can hand their dog to).
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:21 pm

I knew my GSD since the day his was born, and knew he would never harm a fly. When he was 11, riddled with cancer, arthritis, and all those wonderful gifts of old-age, I did worry and didn't invite people to pet him much at all. One day, a little toddler came running up to him and started grabbing his ears with their face in his face, before I could even open my mouth! My GSD, all old and achy and with ear infections often - just sat there with a goofy grin on his face, mouth open, tongue hanging out like he was enjoying a summer breeze, his tail slowly thumping. I almost cried.

sorry to de-rail things but..

Speaking of irresponsible people being at these places: One time I was with my brother at a Petco, he brought his GSD to get a picture with Santa and I tagged along. We were about the 6th people in line, were very organized and his Tasha is just a doll, I had put bows on her and everything. Very Happy

A couple people ahead, were these 2 teenage girls and their mother dressed like them.
They had a Yorkie, a Chihuahua, and a Boxer Puppy.
The Boxer puppy was all over the place, playing rough, and kept pouncing the Yorkie half to death, but the Yorkie just kept up avoidance, trying to run away, but his leash was pretty short. Every 4th or 5th time the Boxer went after the Yorkie, the Chihuahua would throw himself in front of the Yorkie and bark/snap at the Boxer pup and get clobbered anyways. The..ladies.. were busy with their gossip and cell phones, having a cackling good time - and every time the Chihuahua would bark at the Boxer they would look down for a second, scream at the Chihuahua and shove it with their foot.
>_<;
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I never take my dogs with me to any of those dog stores. Way too much disease lurking about. I learned that lesson with my female greyhound who contracted a really nasty kennel cough at a Petsmart!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 pm

I take Appa to petco when I give him a bath, he's super friendly to people and dogs, but once there was a dog he just hated. No idea why. If you saw him you'd think we had a horribly dog-aggressive dog. I've never seen him randomly hate a dog like that before or since. Even the best trained dogs are unpredictable.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 am

LOL, when Kennel Cough spreads through a kennel, all the techs and trainers start bringing their dogs to work, to hope they catch it. We treat it like when a kid in the neighborhood gets chickenpox, and they pass him around to infect the others, so they build the immunityy early. Kinda funny to hear someone who doesn't work around 100's of strange dogs talk about KC like that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My dog would never bite....REALLY?   My dog would never bite....REALLY? Empty

Back to top Go down

My dog would never bite....REALLY?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1