It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

Male Join date : 2013-02-28

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) Empty
PostSubject: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:36 am

Hello Everyone,

As the title says, she isn't yet 8 weeks and I'm concerned over that. The breeder said she is doing great and socializing great and not to be concerned but if I want to pick her up next week, then I may. I'm only concerned because of the 8 week rule but the reason I wanted to pick her up tomorrow is because my work has a few closed days the next few days, so I would have 4-5 days that I could devote to her and get her used to the house, ect.

What is everyones opinions and here are a few shots of my baby with the breeder:

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) Pup210

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) Pup111

Last edited by Talimore on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 am

I picked mine up 2 days early, and she did great. IMO, if picking her up a few days early means a few more days you can get her adjusted before you have work, it's worth it. 8 weeks is not a magic number, they don't suddenly become ready, some could probably use more time with the breeder, some will probably be ahead of the curve.
She's very cute Smile I can't wait to see more pictures of her!
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

Yeah I hope so... Thank you for your reply and any others?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 am

I picked two of my Husky pups from their breeders just shy of 8 weeks. It would be ideal for her to stay until 8 weeks, but I don't think it's a huge deal being 2 days early. I got both mine about that same age and have had no problems with either of them. We got our third puppy much older (11 weeks) and I can really see the difference it makes and wish I waited longer.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 am

I dont think 2 days is going to be a big deal.. And if the other littermates are leaving same day then its not gonna do much to leave her there just with mom.. It would help some but the littermates are just as important. I learned that with my pup.. I picked him up over 8 weeks but all but 1 littermate was gone and he still has a nibbling problem but its getting better
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 am

First if all she is a cutie!! I got Mish two days shy and she did fine. I think it is more important that she had those first few days dedicated to her as you planned.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I think a couple of days early will be fine, especially since it means you will have extra time to spend with her and on socialization. The 8 weeks is a good guideline but it's not set in stone as an exact number. In your case you have a good reason for it since you have the time off work so I think it makes sense.

Just remember that she will have to get used to you going back to work, so give her some short practice sessions in the time that you have off so it's not a big shock for her to suddenly be without you.

She's very cute Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh! Also, one thing I should have done when I got my pup was mimic my daily routine. When school started back up (got her on break) it was kind of a hassle because she'd been babied too much before lol. Even though you'll need all the sleep you can get, it might help to get up at the normal time, leave (for a few seconds) and come back to desensitize her to the front door in the morning, let her know you will always be back for her Smile At least, I wish I'd done that from the start, just some unsolicited advice!
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 am

Im going this morning to get her but I had a few more questions.

Im getting this brand new super cute puppy, is it ok to take her to my parents and grandparents right away? Or should I wait a while? Im taking her to the vet tomorrow to get a check up and possibly her second round of shots, I have to check with vet, I think I have to wait one more week for her second round.

So should I wait or is it ok?

Also, my parents used to breed show dogs, but now they have just the original mother. Is it ok to take her to see their dog? As a social thing? Or should I, once again, wait a while?

~Devin
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 am

AFAIK as long as any dogs you bring her around are UTD on all shots (and owned by people you know who will have them UTD) and you don't bring her just anywhere where there are an abundance of dogs with unknown vet history, you should be okay bringing her to your family's houses.

If you want to just wait until she has seen the vet and given an all clear, you can just wait to bring her after the vet visit.

Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

She looks like a real cutie! Can't wait to see more pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I got Karli two days shy of 8 weeks and we didn't have any issues with her. Its an average guideline for sure.

As to your other question, if all the dogs you are bringing her around at up to date on all shots you should be fine. That's what I did with Karli. The first week we had her, I took her over to my friend's house to meet her two dobermans. It helps with socialization for sure.
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 am

Hello all, on my phone but ill post pictures soon! I have some concerns. She's home and well but barely barely eating and hasn't drank anything and its been over a day now. She also has no interest in playing, she's scared of everything Sad but she's my baby and I love her! Any advice would be helpful thank you
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 am

One more thing, she's loves her crate lol !
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:54 am

Talimore wrote:
Hello all, on my phone but ill post pictures soon! I have some concerns. She's home and well but barely barely eating and hasn't drank anything and its been over a day now. She also has no interest in playing, she's scared of everything Sad but she's my baby and I love her! Any advice would be helpful thank you

just give her sometime she will start eating, playing and getting used to everything. you took her away from everything she knows and she is in a new place with new stuff and she doesn't have her mom there anymore. when i brought Maya home i think she went a day without eating and drinking also and all she did was lay on the couch with me. now she will hardly lay on the couch and she is eating and drinking a ton.

she just needs time to adjust to her new surroundings and soon you will at times be wishing she would go back to the way she is right now:)
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 am

Ohh btw I have two cats, one cares less, the dog cares less about them but my big black cat loves her. I mean has a crush on her it's sooooooo cute
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

2 days isn't going to make a difference, what will make a difference is that you have 4-5 days off of work to bond with her. Go get your baby! Shes adorable!
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

Shes doing good, still in the potty training phase but I cant find a single treat that she likes. She likes her food just fine but treats are a different story. I tried three different companies and nothing. Wont do anything but sniff them. Also, She is up and playing around the house like a wild man. She really likes the snow we have outside but likes coming inside and hanging out with my wife and I even more. Its cute!

Here are some pictures:

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) 110
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:26 am

pretty girl you got there! give her a few days and she will probably come around on the treats
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Until she finds a treat, you could just use her kibble as a treat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)   Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short) Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting Kiki in a day but she is only 7 weeks 5 days (2 days short)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1