It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Questioning the need to spay/neuter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

Questioning the need to spay/neuter Empty
PostSubject: Questioning the need to spay/neuter   Questioning the need to spay/neuter EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Found this article on another site and found it interesting but kind of a scare tactic because no hard numbers are used, just generalizations. What are your thoughts.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hal-herzog/the-ethics-of-neutering_b_2790315.html
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Questioning the need to spay/neuter   Questioning the need to spay/neuter EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I was just coming on here to post this. Very Happy
If anyone is interested in the research methodology and statistical analysis and all that, here is a link to the original peer-reviewed research http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055937#s2

Based on their results, it seems that early spay for females and later neuter for males is the healthiest option. I'm curious to hear what others think about this too.

Edited to add: Huskydad, I wonder if we were on the same other online site? Wink
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Questioning the need to spay/neuter   Questioning the need to spay/neuter EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 am

I've heard so much from both sides and from what I remember it's better to get females done early (before their first heat) which gives them no chance of getting mammary tumors and it's better to not neuter males. BUT I really don't think the health risks on both sides area all that different. Heck, my mom had to get her 8 year old setter neutered, cause he started getting cancer. From what I've seen with all the rescue dogs that have gone through my mom's rescue and all the dogs we've owned, it doesn't really seem to matter much health wise. There are so many other factors that can affect their health. But I do think getting either sex spayed early will help them stay in their homes. So many males are dropped off at shelters, because they pee every where. And having your female go through heat is not much fun either. Just really messy and you have a moody dog on your hands.

My SIL got a 7yr old golden and he was a humping and peeing machine. She got him neutered and it completely stopped. Completely! My mom has rescued some males who mark every where and hump every dog they see and gotten them neutered with no change in their behavior. So many people say spaying your female will make them fat and Siku is spayed and I can't get her to gain a pound! So all I can say is that there is so much on both sides, good and bad, but IMO if your dog is not a dog fit to breed, just get it spayed/neutered.

Questioning the need to spay/neuter Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questioning the need to spay/neuter   Questioning the need to spay/neuter Empty

Back to top Go down

Questioning the need to spay/neuter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1