It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Listening During Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Listening During Play Empty
PostSubject: Listening During Play   Listening During Play EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 am

we have a bit of a problem with Arya & Logan's play time, it just gets rough almost immediately and at the moment she is far stronger than him and could cause damage. The problem is in mid play she is fully engaged in play and her commands just fly over her head, until the point I or Elanie have to physically intervene and give her a telling off.

They seem to think play time is whenever they decide (all the time), leading to multiple timeouts for both.

The other thing is when Arya betters Logan he just keeps coming back for more, its like flipping Rocky movie.

Any advice on getting similar experiences ...???? Arya is 8 months 2 weeks, Logan is 2 Months 2 weeks and a Mal.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Listening During Play   Listening During Play EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 am

You say she is far stronger and could cause damage... but has she? They are very close in age. Close enough that they are likely teaching each other how much is too much. Mine will battle on hind legs, teeth bared, hackles up and sound like a pack of wild dogs... but they are just playing and when one of them has been bitten too hard you/they know. Everything stops and the other one snaps. But it's never to hurt the other. It's a warning growl. It's like play stops and the one that was hurt sits there and growls. They teach each other.

So my question to you is when are you stopping it? Could you be doing more harm than good by stopping it before they have a chance to tell each other enough is enough? If Logan is coming back for more everytime, he's clearly fine and not hurt. I think you might need to trust them a little more to communicate in their own language. Remember for a dog, there is no polite "Hey! That hurt!" Dogs will go straight to "Watch it..." and in my experience, letting them handle it (especially when they are that close in age) is best.

Listening During Play Hailey10
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

PostSubject: Re: Listening During Play   Listening During Play EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 am

Koda wrote:
You say she is far stronger and could cause damage... but has she? They are very close in age. Close enough that they are likely teaching each other how much is too much. Mine will battle on hind legs, teeth bared, hackles up and sound like a pack of wild dogs... but they are just playing and when one of them has been bitten too hard you/they know. Everything stops and the other one snaps. But it's never to hurt the other. It's a warning growl. It's like play stops and the one that was hurt sits there and growls. They teach each other.

So my question to you is when are you stopping it? Could you be doing more harm than good by stopping it before they have a chance to tell each other enough is enough? If Logan is coming back for more everytime, he's clearly fine and not hurt. I think you might need to trust them a little more to communicate in their own language. Remember for a dog, there is no polite "Hey! That hurt!" Dogs will go straight to "Watch it..." and in my experience, letting them handle it (especially when they are that close in age) is best.

Thats true, and I do want them to find the limits of play between themselves but he is currently 20+ lbs where Arya is 51/52 lbs and goes at him hard.

The biting I dont mind but when she bounds at him and knocks him flat on his I'm just worried for his joints (hoping to show him too), when puppies knock each-other over its with similar weight. As you mentioned he goes for the ankles where Arya keeps going for the neck and a full mouthful at times.

Our next-door neighbors has an old gentle Lab who Arya absolutely abuses until he just has enough and he gives a quick telling off and she is then completely submissive, so I know in a bit of time Logan will be able to tell her off for being a bully and she will chill
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Listening During Play   Listening During Play EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Pippa plays a lot like that, grabbing mouthfuls of scruff all the time. But they are generally very soft-mouthed and aren't doing any damage.

I would assume that once Logan has had enough, he'll tell her. It really doesn't matter much about the size. Like yesterday, Pippa was trying to play with a small Aussie and he'd had enough, so he snapped at her, and she stopped.

I wouldn't worry until Arya won't back off even after Logan told her to, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

PostSubject: Re: Listening During Play   Listening During Play EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I have been trying to let play go a bit further but as I mentioned just worried about his joints and she does grab his limbs and give them a good tug sometimes, just worried she might damage something

saying that if he is sleeping and she goes annoying him he gives her a proper telling off so maybe as you guys are saying he is able to say when he doesn't want to play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Listening During Play   Listening During Play Empty

Back to top Go down

Listening During Play

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1