It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Color Changing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I have seen a couple of post about how much huskys change colors and mine is right in the middle of doing so. But as of right now... I dont know what color she is. She has been to 2 different vets 1) said she was Red 2) one said she is brown? I have never heard of a brown husky. Maybe you all can tell me maybe what color she might turn out to be threw your experiences. She is my first husky and she seems to surprise me every day and I am so excited to see how she turn out.

[img]Color Changing? Micole3_zpsdd8a2c4f[/img]

[img]Color Changing? 20130313_110915_zpsd27224a3[/img][img]Color Changing? Micole2_zps9aa2c83a[/img]
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:22 pm

She's definitely a red! She's also very cute! My reds didn't change much as they got older, they just turned a little darker.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Reds are called browns a lot. It's really the same.

Would be considered a red though Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Thats what i though, just really threw me off. She is starting to get gray/ silver hairs in. and has the dark gray spot on her tail is that normal for reds?
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm

And Thank you very much! I love her to death she is just so freaking smart!! I am so amazed cause I was always told how stubborn she is going to be. I see some of it in her but for the most part she is doing great!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 pm

The dark spot on her tail is normal. All huskies have it. Smile
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Awesome! Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 am

Our red husky seems to have some fluctuations in his color too. He was very red when we adopted him in January, but right now he looks more brown, except for a very red patch and the base of his tail (and he isn't just dirty, lol, he gets regular baths). Kane fluctuated some, especially when his thick winter coat came in. He was jet black this past summer, but lightened up a little, I guess from his undercoat. I can definitely understand your confusion, especially since your little one is so young.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 am

Sierra was a light red when we got her at 6, I think from being out side, she is more red now, jack I call a copper because he is more brown then red, his coat has never changed. Can't wait to see how your girl ends up!

Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

Awesome! Can't wait! One other question.... Now do ya'll do the grooming on them? I live every close to houston texas. Our winters... we dont really have them. maybe for 3 weeks and it gets down to the 30's. our summers get into the 100's. waaay too hot for her. I dont want to shave her completely. But i dont want her to get a heat stroke either. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 am

Don't shave her, it's bad for their coat. Their double coat keeps them warm in winter and cool in summer. Just make sure you have water for her and maybe get a kiddie pool for her that she can lay in when she's hot. Walk in the mornings and evenings when it's cooler out. Smile
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 pm

No! I dont wanna do that at all. I was hoping ya'll where not going to tell me that lol Kiddie pool! No problem. She loves the water. A vet told me once to shave her belly to keep her cool, but i really like the pool idea. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Yup, pools are the best. Very Happy

Also there are these toys that you can get. Water releases as they chew.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef48/
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

[quote="amychuke" A vet told me once to shave her belly to keep her cool, but i really like the pool idea. Thank you. [/quote]
i hope your still not going to that vet affraid
just keep her inside during the day with a fan and some AC blowing and she will be fine, exercise during the "cooler" parts of the day. there are a tone of you here in the warmer states that do ok during the summer.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 pm

To keep her cool in the summer you can buy bags of Ice and put in the kiddie pool
Other things you can do are freeze his food from time to time mine enjoy it sometimes..
My male will sunbathe in the hottest time of the day for about 20 minutes at a time several times during the day. The double coat does keep them cool in the warm to hot temps of summer.
Make sure they have lots of cool water when your dog is outside you can ice to the water sometimes.

We have temps in the 100's during the summer alot. We do our walks very early in the morning before the day heats up and late at night usually twice a day.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh I meant to tell you that my two pups seem to have different color coats in the winter and summer they are darker in the winter and lighter in the warmer months.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:15 pm

This is my pup...

She almost looks "brown" but in the sun she is def a red.
Color Changing? 02061310

Her in the sun.
Color Changing? 02011311
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes! Same thing. I can see you also have the white/silver/gray hairs coming in as well. She is soo cute!
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:56 pm

and yes I did change vets, This guy was a moron on his knowledgment, ONLY reason I even went to him was because she needed her 2 set of puppy shots and the doctor I take my other dog to (Riley- Australian Shepard) he wasnt going to be in for another 2 weeks. I guess on vacation or something. But I also LOVE the water toys, those are too cool. Thank you guys very much. Helped out a lot!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Her mom is blk/white, and her dad is grey/white.
Although it is common for a red in a litter...it's still mind boggling she came out a red!!
This is mom and dad:
Color Changing? 02011312
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Idk what Micole's parents look like. Micole was bought from a breeder. But the couple I got her from are the ones who got her from this breeder. Had her for a week (Micole was 6 weeks) by 7 weeks they had posted an ad on this stud website. By time I could get to her she was 8 weeks old. I don't understand why someone would by a dog for a week and get rid of her. She is now 12 weeks old. Healthy, nothing wrong with her, playful, best dog I have ever had! She is great! Those are very beautiful dogs! Very pretty!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 pm

People always think my Balon is brown too, he is considered red/white! He really looks red in the sun, in the house I say brown lol.

Color Changing? Balon712
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm

and I was looking..... there is no such thing as a brown husky. I am that crazy woman when someone puts something wrong about her on paperwork i make them go in and change it. now that i know what color she is next time i am in i am going to ask them to change it to cooper. borwn / red.... makes sense to me!! lol
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Lol, my two girls are coppers.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I see that in your signature picture! very cute! Very pretty!! Where they always that color? I hear there mask keeps changing up to 2 years of age.... true?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Color Changing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Changing?   Color Changing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Color Changing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next