It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Male vs. Female Personalities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Male vs. Female Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

I'm curious if any one who has multiple dogs has noticed any difference between males and females. I have only owned a female in the past and now I have a choice with my breeder and temperament is the most important factor to me. I have two cats, one male and one female, and would like to work toward the CGC and TDI certifications eventually. I know each individual will be different, but I'm curious if there are any patterns. Basically the research I've tried to do is totally conflicting, some say one thing, others say the exact opposite. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 pm

With the help of your breeder, if she has experince breeding.. I would ask her to suggest a pup that fits your temp. She might have to wait a few weeks to see how they grow up..
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm

She will definitely help, and she's quite experienced I was curious to get other's experiences. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm

IT definitely depends on lineage. Some lines carry more spastic behavior, some are laid back and some even carry a "fear" gene. Doing research first and meeting the parents should help you figure out what to expect.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Not too sure if it's really a male vs female thing, because every dog is different. I have one male and two females and they are all opposite of each other.

My male Hayden is more loving than my female (Nicky) but is a bit more aggressive with other smaller dog's. He's a snuggle bug, but is a little skittish around strangers.

My female Nicky is perfectly fine being alone with very little human interaction. She get's along with most dog's, but is female dominate. She has a major attitude and doesn't like being told what to do.

My second female Brandi is the best of both words. She is completely snuggly, easy-going, loves everyone, and has an overall great personality.

I've always preferred males over females (I like how they get bigger). It really depends on what you like. I really don't think there is a difference as far as personality goes, since they are all different. If you tell you're breeder you'er lifestyle and personality, I'm sure he/she could match you up with the perfect puppy.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I think every dog is different it really doesn't matter if they are female of male.

With being said I have a male and female I got neither as a puppy My male was 9 months old and my female was over 2 years old a lot of their personalities where already developed by this time I believe.

My male is very late back not much for getting love or attention he is fine being by himself. He is really a peaceful soul. He loves people and other dogs but not to the point that he has to be in charge of them.

My female is the love bug and social butterfly when is comes to people and other dogs she wants to be the center of attention loves getting hugs. She really is a diva or queen bee if you ask me they longer we have her the more I am sure she would not be very happy with another female in the house a male she can be boss of lol!
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Generalizing, in my experience, for both huskies and other breeds:

Males: cuddly, sweet, loving, goofy, laid-back, playful, a bit lazier (all mine have been neutered so couldn't comment on intact dogs)

Females: sweet, aloof, moody, conflict-inciting, bickering, crazy, hyper/more active, silly, loving/cuddly on their terms... (again, all fixed girls)

I prefer males, but keep a girl or two around for the drama and to keep the boys in line, lol. But I think it depends on the dog! I am sure others here are complete opposites of mine!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Thank you everybody! It's really interesting to get others perspectives. I've never heard of a fear gene, but it does make sense, since some aspects of personality are genetic. Really interesting info! The descriptions of the females sound exactly like my first one. Queen bee, bossy, loved a male to push around, not so keen on females, out going, sweet and loving, but only on her terms, really hyper, listened when she felt like it, drama queen, flirt, WAY too smart for her own good. Twisted Evil But loved all those things about her! The breeder said that we would wait to see how they develop, the litter was born March 1, so it will be a while before their attitudes come out. Smile I love to hear about everyone's babies.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

5woofs wrote:

Males: cuddly, sweet, loving, goofy, laid-back, playful, a bit lazier (all mine have been neutered so couldn't comment on intact dogs)

Females: sweet, aloof, moody, conflict-inciting, bickering, crazy, hyper/more active, silly, loving/cuddly on their terms... (again, all fixed girls)

I prefer males, but keep a girl or two around for the drama and to keep the boys in line, lol. But I think it depends on the dog! I am sure others here are complete opposites of mine!

That about sums it up for my experience with a male and female. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm

5woofs wrote:

Pretty much what I would say. My eski Cloud is male, and he is goofy and laid back.
My husky Yuki is female, and she is a DIVA. Very aloof, only wants attention when she wants it, and just wants to run around and steal all Cloud's toys!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I love my boys, they're so cuddly, easy going and giant love bugs. Zoey on the other hand is so independent but she loves to please me and is really obedient but she's crazy lol
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

My girls are crazy, i want a male! lol.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm

My girl is very cuddly. just LOVES to be loved and get attention. She's super hyper but i'm sure its because of being a puppy still : ) She's also a big talker. Our friends have a 3 year old female husky and she's extremely quiet, aloof but also very very obedient and calm.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Balon is a neutered 13 month old male. He is a real snuggle bug. I don't consider him hyper, though he will get the zoomies once or twice a day to let me know he needs to go running lol. He is extremely sweet and likes most people, he hasn't had a whole lot of interaction with dogs outside of my lab Ruby, but he isn't hyper around them when we do meet them on walks. It's funny he always does this growly thing when around one of my oldest sons friends, and I have no idea why. His family has two male poodles so many he doesn't like that smell lol. He also does it to my husbands Aunt, only until he realizes that its ok for her to be there. But he loves most other people. Now she ain't a husky, (she plays like one though lol) but my spayed female lab is also a snuggle bug!

Should be interesting to see how our new little guy Loki's personality is!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 pm

I love hearing about everyone's pups. Megan i did meet the parents, the mom was nervous, it was her first litter, so I'm not sure if she was generally nervous or first time mom nervous. I'll ask the breeder next time I go back. The dad was awesome totally laid back and sweet. I'm pretty sure Tasha, my girl in my photos has the spastic gene. She seemed to have the zoomies whenever she wasn't sleeping until she was about 12, then she toned it down to once a day. Kelly it sounds like there is some balance in your pack., Two extremes and one in the middle. Kim your two look like quite the pair. They must be tired in your avatar because they both look really satisfied and happy and have their tongues hangin out. Smile. I'm guessing Demon is the girl? Linda your two sound awesome I know exactly what you mean about your male being content to be around people. Our first family dog ever was a golden from hunting lines and he was like that not your typical goofy golden. 5woofs your pack is awesome, they all seem like characters. I can't wait to see Loki grow up and how he fits in with the boys and girls. Abby it sound like there's a lot of female drama there lol. I still think Kay has the most amazing eyes! Megan Cloud is so sweet, i used to live next door to a eski and he was insane he used to tease my parents golden. The golden sort of had a personality like the sweedish chef on the muppets and the eski would get the golden to play chase. Needless to say the eski would do 3 laps around the property before the golden did one and man was he confused when that little white blur ran up from behind him. Jennet I can tell by their eyes in your sig, the boys look like 'I love you mom' and zoey looks like 'that one over there isn't staying right? Seriously. Mom! Rolling Eyes ' KibaHope our family husky growing up, Tasha, was insanely hyper. I kept hoping she'd mellow out, but she pulled a muscle last year at 14 playing with her best buddy, an 18 month old husky a neighbor owns. She's better now and still plays with him. She'll be 16 in September, she's a little insecure now because she's lost her hearing. Balonsmom it will be interesting to see Loki's personality and how he fits in with everybody. The breeder said similar things about males being love bugs. Her exact quote about females was, 'there's a reason we call them b!$?&3s' but she did say it depends how they develop and she would evaluate them as they grow. Thank you everybody for responding and sharing! It's definitely awesome and interesting to hear all the experiences and stories.
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm

I was going to say there's a reason they're called b's.... but wasn't sure if it'd be appropriate lol Wink

Congratz on the new addition, either gender I'm sure you'll be very happy with!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Ha ha! Thank you! Also, to clarify for everybody,, the new pup will be spayed or neutered when appropriate. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

5woofs wrote:

This is exactly what I heard when I went searching for the same information as you. I'd say Swoofs got it spot on!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks Chelsii. My parents live in Winter Park, CO, so every time I catch your location out of the corner of my eye, I think you live around the corner from them and then remember its FL. Ha ha
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 pm

I have no recent experiences owning dogs but I do have a soft spot for females. My favorite dog I had as a child was a female American Eskimo mix. She was protective of me and was my shadow.

Are you still going to Karnovanda?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 am

I had a breeder tell me when I was searching for a pup that she preferred boys over girls. But I had my heart set on a girl. We usually always had boys growing up because my dad prefers males to females when it comes to dogs (maybe it was because he was always outnumbered in the human category lol). But I really wanted a girl. My girl is the complete opposite of what everyone has described females as, so I got the weird one. There is always exceptions of course. Karli isn't aloof in any way. She always wants to be with one of us. She doesn't like us being out of her sight. So I would definitely see what the breeder thinks about each puppy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male vs. Female Personalities   Male vs. Female Personalities Empty

Back to top Go down

Male vs. Female Personalities

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1