It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Living in Colorado?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Living in Colorado? Empty
PostSubject: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 pm

It's been a dream of mine for a while to move to Colorado. I plan to make this a reality in the next year or two, until then I'm saving up. And I noticed quite a few people here come from Colorado so I thought who better to ask? I've been looking into cities across the state, and I'm getting confused trying to find what I'm looking for. I'm wanting somewhere that doesn't get up to 110 degrees in the summer all the time, but I don't want to live in the cold year-round. Are there any cities that have moderate summers, maybe up to 90 degrees, 100 fairly rarely? However, like I said I don't want to live somewhere where its winter all round, I really despise the cold but I'd still like to have some snow once in a while for Cloud and Yuki to play in. They love it even if I don't. So basically I'm looking for a four-season area that doesn't have extreme summers, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Your moving! News to me! Maya, Sophie, and Kay will be crushed when they can't see their buddies. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Haha like I said it won't be for a year or two but once I find a stable job there and a place to move into yeah, I really want to go xD Plus my brother plans on moving out there as well to form a Web Design company Razz It was funny we were in the car and I was driving him somewhere and I said "I want to move to Colorado" and he said "why would you say that? -I- want to move to Colorado."
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

I would love to live there aswell but i cant move away from my family.. I am real close to all of them.. But me and the gf already plan we wnna take a bunch of vacations out there.. I wanna go snowboarding then watch a broncos game!! Go broncos!!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
I would love to live there aswell but i cant move away from my family.. I am real close to all of them.. But me and the gf already plan we wnna take a bunch of vacations out there.. I wanna go snowboarding then watch a broncos game!! Go broncos!!

Haha my one issue so far is my mom.. I'm usually the one to drive her around. However as soon as my brother gets his car back I'm going to try to move out, I don't want to feel chained here my whole life and regret not moving away. And I'm not particularly close to my family.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
Haha like I said it won't be for a year or two but once I find a stable job there and a place to move into yeah, I really want to go xD Plus my brother plans on moving out there as well to form a Web Design company Razz It was funny we were in the car and I was driving him somewhere and I said "I want to move to Colorado" and he said "why would you say that? -I- want to move to Colorado."
Well i suppose i could always come and visit. We could go on hikes, lol.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
Well i suppose i could always come and visit. We could go on hikes, lol.

You could move too Razz in a few years or whatnot. and I'll probably have to come back and visit my mom once in a while anyway.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
It's been a dream of mine for a while to move to Colorado. I plan to make this a reality in the next year or two, until then I'm saving up. And I noticed quite a few people here come from Colorado so I thought who better to ask? I've been looking into cities across the state, and I'm getting confused trying to find what I'm looking for. I'm wanting somewhere that doesn't get up to 110 degrees in the summer all the time, but I don't want to live in the cold year-round. Are there any cities that have moderate summers, maybe up to 90 degrees, 100 fairly rarely? However, like I said I don't want to live somewhere where its winter all round, I really despise the cold but I'd still like to have some snow once in a while for Cloud and Yuki to play in. They love it even if I don't. So basically I'm looking for a four-season area that doesn't have extreme summers, any ideas?

Common misconception is that Colorado is all snow all year. Smile The southern part of the state gets the worst of the heat, but I won't lie, we've had some pretty hot days here in the Denver metro area.

What do you plan to do out here? That might play a big part in where you decide to move. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 pm

From what I plan to do career-wise would be kinda work from home type stuff, so mainly I want somewhere scenic where I can bike/hike with the dogs. And yeah I figured there was an area that was usually hotter than normal, want to avoid that area lol!

Thanks for the response by the way Very Happy I was trying to look for homes for sale to get an idea of a price range and it asked for a city and I was like.. oh right..
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 pm

If you're going to be working from home, then location is yours for the taking. Smile Scenic as in mountains I presume? You would likely want west of Denver or Fort Collins Area. Colorado Springs is nice too. You get into the mountains, you'll likely pay premium, but I can't say for sure on that.

ETA: Oh and keep in mind the heat out here is dry. It makes hot weather a lot more tolerable than the same temperatures with high humidity.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Well a psychic told me i'd be making a big move and the opportunity would present itself within the year. She also said i wouldn't be moving alone. Razz
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 am

Check out anything in the foothills or lower in the mountains. Golden, Evergreen, Lyons, Boulder, Conifer, Pine, Bailey, Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Estes Park, Nederland, Red Feather Lakes, Central City, Black Hawk, Fairplay, etc.. . They have nicer summers without being too hot and mild-ish winters (depending on the town) but all of them will get snow. Unfortunately real estate will be more expensive as well...

The Denver and Boulder Metro areas aren't so bad in the summer, usually. A few hot days, but typically not triple digits (this last summer was a hot one...).
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 am

I just was down there for spring break, and I absolutely loved Fort Collins. It's got a cool downtown, only an hour from Denver, and easy access to nature with Horsetooth Mountain. Plus, it's north of Denver, so maybe you get away from the intense summer heat (just a guess though). Golden is pretty cool too, though a bit too small town for me.

I think a lot of it is feel of the town and personal preference, so it's better if you can make a trip out there and kind of explore. You can get a sense of home prices by cruising realtor.com or Zillow, it's a hobby of mine...lol

Edit: Something else to consider is the makeup of the town. Denver is a metro area with a lot of variey. Fort Collins and Boulder are both college towns, which makes them a little more liberal. Colorado Springs has a reputation of being more conservative and family oriented (others who live in CO may confirm or deny that, I don't know).
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

Demon&Dakota wrote:
If you're going to be working from home, then location is yours for the taking. Smile Scenic as in mountains I presume? You would likely want west of Denver or Fort Collins Area. Colorado Springs is nice too. You get into the mountains, you'll likely pay premium, but I can't say for sure on that.

ETA: Oh and keep in mind the heat out here is dry. It makes hot weather a lot more tolerable than the same temperatures with high humidity.

Thanks for the info! I'm sick of the humidity here, I hated last summer. I guess I'm just clueless to the weather in Colorado so I wanted to get an idea of what the cities were like lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 am

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Well a psychic told me i'd be making a big move and the opportunity would present itself within the year. She also said i wouldn't be moving alone. Razz

So you're my stalker? Razz
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

GingerDog wrote:
Check out anything in the foothills or lower in the mountains. Golden, Evergreen, Lyons, Boulder, Conifer, Pine, Bailey, Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Estes Park, Nederland, Red Feather Lakes, Central City, Black Hawk, Fairplay, etc.. . They have nicer summers without being too hot and mild-ish winters (depending on the town) but all of them will get snow. Unfortunately real estate will be more expensive as well...

The Denver and Boulder Metro areas aren't so bad in the summer, usually. A few hot days, but typically not triple digits (this last summer was a hot one...).

Thanks for the info! That sounds perfect, I want snow but not freaking blizzards lol but I hate the heat.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

MGoBlue wrote:
I just was down there for spring break, and I absolutely loved Fort Collins. It's got a cool downtown, only an hour from Denver, and easy access to nature with Horsetooth Mountain. Plus, it's north of Denver, so maybe you get away from the intense summer heat (just a guess though). Golden is pretty cool too, though a bit too small town for me.

I think a lot of it is feel of the town and personal preference, so it's better if you can make a trip out there and kind of explore. You can get a sense of home prices by cruising realtor.com or Zillow, it's a hobby of mine...lol

Edit: Something else to consider is the makeup of the town. Denver is a metro area with a lot of variey. Fort Collins and Boulder are both college towns, which makes them a little more liberal. Colorado Springs has a reputation of being more conservative and family oriented (others who live in CO may confirm or deny that, I don't know).

That sounds like a good idea, to take a trip down there. I'm guessing Abby will come with me as shes my stalker.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Yes.

I'm scared.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 am

Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Yes.

I'm scared.
You should be. Going to Colorado would be a longer drive then the one i just did. but i guess i could go if you want, i'll miss my pups though.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 am

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Yes.

I'm scared.
You should be. Going to Colorado would be a longer drive then the one i just did. but i guess i could go if you want, i'll miss my pups though.

Honestly I'll probably weigh out the gas and air ticket differences and might fly, when we went to Arizona we flew but that was a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 am

Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Yes.

I'm scared.

Honestly I'll probably weigh out the gas and air ticket differences and might fly, when we went to Arizona we flew but that was a few years ago.

We drove down, and it was nice because then we had a car to drive around and explore.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 am

MGoBlue wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

We drove down, and it was nice because then we had a car to drive around and explore.

Yeah when we went to Arizona we got a rental car. I'll have to see the prices of all of it, though it would be nice to take my own car, 20 hours of driving doesnt sound appealing xD Although if I make Abby get her license I guess I could force her to drive some of the way when I get tired ;D
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
MGoBlue wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

Yeah when we went to Arizona we got a rental car. I'll have to see the prices of all of it, though it would be nice to take my own car, 20 hours of driving doesnt sound appealing xD Although if I make Abby get her license I guess I could force her to drive some of the way when I get tired ;D
I could always drive without it. Wink
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Colorado is only like the WORST state ever to live in lol!

you got the suggestions i was gonna give you so i will not repeat them. if i were you i would get out here for a week, fly into denver and spend each day in a new town. all are about 1-2hrs from denver any farther and your in the mountains and sounds like thats not what you want. i would love to live in the foothills but my drive to work would suck, but what i LOVE is that in denver living off of I-70 ( do NOT live off of I-25!) you can get to boulder in like 30min, ft Collins in just over an hr and all the ski places in under 2hrs. My aunt lives out here so i got to see most of the state before i moved, but i moved for a job that was in denver and i wanted a shorter drive to work so we stuck with denver. if you have been following any of our bitching we have not seem much snow here this winter and for me that SUCKS just means we might have a hot summer again Sad it will hit 100 at least 10 days in the summer but for the most part its 90's dry heat. we dont have AC as it does cool off at night but it would be nice to have.... let us know when your coming so we can get a meet together!

PostSubject: Re: Living in Colorado?   Living in Colorado? Empty

Back to top Go down

Living in Colorado?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next