It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Post- Spay suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  Empty
PostSubject: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:43 am

Kiba's spay is tomorrow and i know that we will need to keep her quiet and the surgery area clean for a little bit. I have no idea how that will happen because she's such a hyper pup. I wanted to ask if its a good idea to buy a few treats to occupy her during recovery? I'd like to get some type of chewable bone and a toy that she can't destroy in 5 seconds but will hold interest.

I just don't want her to feel bored because she normally spends a good amount of time with me outside and walking/playing. Oh and she's getting spayed tomorrow but staying overnight until Saturday morning. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 am

Nicky is extremely hyper and I feared the same thing too. Thankfully, she kept herself quiet and didn't want to move for at least a week.

The vet suggested keeping her in a crate with the cone if she started getting crazy. A lot of people took their pups off the pain meds if they got too crazy, so they would calm down.
Back to top Go down
dieseldude
Newborn
Newborn
dieseldude

Male Join date : 2013-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 am

Hi KibaHope,

I had the same concern. Your pup will be fine she'll be actually under sedation so as it's wearing off she'll be super tired and sleeping. My boy came home and bumped in to like 5 things and eventually went to sleep. My vet said no treats for him until the next day, also we gave him his rope toy but he didn't want anything to do with it. 2 day's later he was back to his normal self.

Also we kept him on his pain meds and he didn't seem hyper or anything so i'm guessing that helped him heal. HE DID hate hate hate his cone, he ran and always hid under the table when we would try to put it back on.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am

I just got Yuki spayed monday, and honestly she has been content to lay around as long as I didn't rile her up, however shes generally calm when inside as I live in an apartment and there's not a lot of room for her to bounce around and get into trouble Razz I did get a couple puzzles toys though and tried to keep her occupied mentally and that seemed to help alleviate some of her boredom. Only a week and a half to go x.x
Back to top Go down
carabou82
Newborn
Newborn
carabou82

Female Join date : 2013-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 am

Sophie was spayed at 6 months back in September. She stayed overnight at the vet, the morning after that I brought her home. They gave me a cone just in case, but I put an old tank top on her and she was more than happy going to sleep in her crate that day. She wasn't wild about the tank top, so we took that off. She left the incision alone (thank God!) the entire time, but the shaved area made her try to itch it sometimes. The Rimadyl they gave us definitely helped keep her calm and we ran the whole course of that as prescribed. After a few days, she defininitely wanted to be more active so we made sure all potty visits outside were on a leash (our yard is fenced) but did nice slower walks around the yard so she could still sniff around.

Same with in the house, leashed or in the crate. We made sure that she was put away if there was visitors that would excite her. Pretty much two weeks of minimizing any jumping on furniture, running around the yard and getting over excited. Good call with the bones, we relied on those heavily the 2nd week or so. She would have gotten bored with them pretty fast if we gave them right away, we kind of waited for her to get a little antsy and not be as sleepy so it would really work Very Happy Changing it up too helps, a frozen yogurt kong, pb filled bones, new chewy bones....

Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

When Saphire was spayed she didn't stay overnight. She was spayed first thing in the morning and then came home late in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day/night on her bed on the floor asleep. My vet told me that we could walk as normal when she was up to it, but to keep her from jumping and the like until the incision healed.

The next morning she and I went for our regular walk (albeit at a slower pace) and then she ate a little and drank a little and went potty and then slept the rest of the day until about dinner time and we did the same. She was about 7 days out from her spay before she really seemed to go back to the crazy running and wanting to jump.

That said she did have to wear the cone of shame when I couldn't be right beside her because she wouldn't leave her incision alone and when I tried to put the bitter cream on it that the vet gave me she started licking it right out of the container.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 am

glad to hear that your dogs were content to stay quiet on their own. Kiba has a tendency to be pretty crazy in the house if we don't take her out for walks and play time and she also gets worked up when our cat runs around. Kitty may have to be confined to part of the house for a little bit. Im thinking a puzzle toy may be a good choice for her as she does well with the one she already has.

When my (male) kitty was neutered it wasn't a big deal and he was fine. but with Kiba i just worry alot about the next little bit here. I suppose the crate and baby gates will be a big help with keeping her from being riled up. i appreciate the responses!!!!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 am

Bahahahaha "cone of shame" . I will have to take a few cone pictures when she has it : )

The cat i had growing up had to wear a cone of shame after her spay and half of me felt bad but it was also party hilarious. It was like the cone had a paralyzing effect. She would slowly run into a wall and then just stand there with her head facing the wall not knowing how to back away or turn lol. so we kept having to pick her up and face her another direction
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am

When the vet told us to "Try and make sure Tika doesn't run, or jump, or play for the next 3 weeks" I'm pretty sure Kelly and I laughed in her face.

"You know she's a Husky right?" Was our next question.

"Ok well then do the best you can." was the reply.

I want to say within 3 days she was back to normal energy levels and by the end of the week I was walking her again outside because she was spazzing out like crazy in the yard and I didn't want her to hurt herself. It became a "Lesser of two evils" thing.

We never needed to cone her. She was good with not fussing about it. If you don't want to cone you can also get a small pair of boxer briefs and cut a hole for her tail. We used to do it with the chows from time to time. Just make sure they aren't too big, but at the same time the elastic isn't on the wound or too tight if you go that route.

If you walk her just keep the area clean. Keep an eye on it and work on commands or tricks if you can Wink

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

Mental stability was a lifesaver over the two weeks that Karli was supposed to "relax." We just got her spayed on the 6th and let me tell you, not being able to walk her or take her to the park about drove Mommy nuts. She was fine the first night (they let me take her home same day, I had every intention of demanding it because I was willing to stay up all night with her if need be but she was too tired to care and went right to bed on her own) just laying around being a BIG baby. She just wanted to be held, crawled into anyone's lap who would take her. By the third day, she had finished the pain meds and was ready to go back outside, which definitely wasn't going to happen. By the end of the week, I realized that ten minute walks wouldn't hurt her any and did those twice a day. That helped a lot in keeping her calm. Let me tell you, the first day back at the dog park was a blessing. Its gonna be hard to keep her from being crazy but you'll get through.

Karli didn't mess with her incision site, she didn't even get a cone of shame. They were actually really surprised by how calm she was when I came to get her. She just laid there waiting for me. So she may not need the cone....you never know!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:44 am

dropped her off this morning and she was wild about seeing them. Have a feeling she may not like the vet as much after this lol. I will probably go grab her a few things to occupy her tonight before i go pick her up tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear doing some slow small walks didn't hurt your dogs because i just have this feeling she'll be bouncing around like always in no time. She just can't sit still!!!! I suppose i'll find out soon enough.
Back to top Go down
dieseldude
Newborn
Newborn
dieseldude

Male Join date : 2013-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 am

SHE WILL BE FINE!! GOOD LUCK KIBA!!!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Everything went great and now my girls just hanging out at home with her cone of shame on. Smile guess well just do our best now with the next 14 days or so.

On a side note, I've had two friends tell me I shouldn't have spayed her because I could have made money on puppies Evil or Very Mad I just smiled and said one puppy was enough for me. I was mad though.

Thanks for suggestions!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post- Spay suggestions?    spay - Post- Spay suggestions?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Post- Spay suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1