It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Issues at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

Issues at the dog park Empty
PostSubject: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 pm

My female, Dakota, has been having issues at the dog park lately. She steals toys/sticks/balls from other dogs. She does it in an aggressive manner, not a playful one. At first I thought she wanted the other dogs to chase her, but our last few visits it has gotten ugly. She ran up to a large male German Shepard and took a stick away from him. They got in a fight and she got bit. Yesterday a guy was throwing tennis balls for his dog and she stole the ball and took off running. That dog chased her and when he caught up to her was not playful about getting it back. Luckily she was right in front of me and I pulled her away before she could start a fight again. I'm not sure what to do. She's very excited about going to the park (although, maybe she's anxious?) but she has gotten into a scuffle every time we've been in the last few weeks. Should we just not go? I hate for her not to be able to run around off leash. But there will always be balls at the park. She knows "leave it" but doesn't always listen.
Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Ginny
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Well....if this has been going on continuously..you should probably stop taking her. If she really truly does go into the park in an "aggressive" mindset, she has no business being there in the first place. You are putting her and other dogs at risk by bringing her there when she has gotten into "scuffles" every time you have been there. You're playing with fire, and I would hate for it to blow up in your face.

Go walking on trails or something. Take her running. Don't go to the dog park.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:14 pm

This is the main reason most dog parks have a no toy policy. Our dog park has a rule that no toys are allowed in the park. My dogs have been attacked when stupid people bring them in and of course I show them to the giant sign in the front of the park clearly stating no toys.
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:32 pm

My pup displayed this behavior when I first started to take her to the dog park as well. When she was the aggressor I told her no and when she didn't listen, we left. I also did exercises with her and the neighbor's dog...I'd give the other dog the toy and when she would try to go for it I would tell her no. When she listened, I gave her a treat and I I taught her that she is rewarded when she doesn't show toy aggression. And as the other dog played with the toy I gave her lots of praise and affection when she was nice. Also, I found she especailly showed that quality in the smaller dog parks. I've noticed when I take her to the larger parks she pretty much dismisses the toys altogether and prefers to play chase. I also think as our pups get older and learn to be more confident in themselves and what the "rules" are, they learn when a growl will suffice and when to remove themselves from the drama. Just like kids, I tell ya!
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Why not just take her when there are no other dogs in the park. Our park is most crowded on weekend mornings and Friday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Some dogs are just not cut out for the dog park and there is nothing wrong with that.

Dog parks are scary places. Lots of unknown dogs, scents, sounds etc and can be extremely overwhelming to a dog (more so a puppy) and if you have an insecure dog (puppy or adult alike), it can be a very scary place, especially when you're first entering (I'm not sure how your park is set up but many parks you enter a smaller area with a gate to the park itself and all of the dogs crowd around and basically ambush the newcomer).

It sounds like there may or may not be a bit of resource guarding (without being there I can't say for sure) on her end (she takes but isn't willing to give or have other dogs take things from her).

If this were me and one of my dogs I would gladly give up the park and instead go walking or hiking or biking etc. It's my job to protect my dog as well as other peoples dogs if mine is causing a problem. (I would also start working on the guarding if that was in fact what she's doing)

Issues at the dog park Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Issues at the dog park   Issues at the dog park Empty

Back to top Go down

Issues at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1