It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hey everybody! coming from Kansas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bricethrower
Newborn
Newborn
bricethrower

Female Join date : 2013-03-24

Hey everybody! coming from Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 am

Hello Husky parents!

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. I look forward to meeting people and learning from all of you, as I am a first time Husky owner. Well, technically my girlfriend owns her (Kiara) but she stays with me. I can easily comply with the rules stated, as i will most likely not be giving much advice since i'm fairly new, and i seek to get along with others here and make no enemies,

To be honest, I have a feeling that what Kiara has learned while living with me would not be the typical teachings that most people on here would recommend. Kiara came from a pure-bred Husky breeder just north of Kansas City, MO. My hometown friend had adopted her and took care of her for two weeks, but Kiara was the 3rd dog in her apartment, and obviously that was too much to handle.

My girlfriend, Emily, and I were already looking at the humane society but didn't find anything; and then we met Kiara. We ended up adopting her and we have had her for 3 weeks now, and she is 5 months old. Emily had purchased the book "Husky training for Dummies" and read it, and I had previously read books on dog training when I had a Springer/Cocker Spaniel and trained him for hunting Pheasant and Quail, and I have done a lot of research about the breed and training techniques. I've noticed the differences in how active she is versus my old dog, but I'm happy for it as I love to take her out and get her some exercise and she loves it as well.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and come forward right now, with what I do and don't think other members of the forum, that are more versed in Husky training than I am, would probably agree/disagree with..

I'll start with what I believe others would frown upon, just to get it over with.

1) I live in an apartment complex. 4 bed 4 bath. it's on the first floor and has a back porch that she likes to lay out on and watch the view of the courtyard.
2) Kiara Sleeps on the bed with me.
3) I do not normally use a leash with her.
4) I live in Kansas where the temp ranges from -10 to 100 degrees.

I hope that these 4 statements have not made you jump to any conclusions or judge me negatively, as I would love to take constructive criticism to ensure that Kiara is happy, and yet understanding of me being her master. So, i'll list the things that I think others would be happy to hear.

1) the courtyard behind our porch is large, and there are kind of three of them around the complex, they're like large valleys with seldom trees/bushes/sidewalks. there are no rabbits or squirrels running around for her to chase.
2) the dogs that Kiara sees in the courtyard are dogs that are also usually around to play.
3) She's just about finished with house training (thank the lord!) and sits at the back door when she needs to go out. However, she usually pees a little when ever she meets two of my roomates and i'm unsure why. anyways, I let her over the small fence (there's no gate, I'm going to build stairs), she goes potty, i give her half a treat, and tell her to come inside. I then walk in the back and open the front door where she is sitting waiting for the second half of her treat
4) Commands she already knows are sit, shake, "other paw", lay down, roll over, go potty, stay, and come (when she wants to..)
5)The apartment complex is entirely fenced in aside from two entrance gates. When we go for walks through the complex, she knows not to go into any parking lot until i pick her up and carry her across.
6)Kiara is amazing at playing fetch, she has only dropped the ball once to go see a passerby

Overall, I love this dog! she is such a character and her personality is awesome. I talk to her as if she were human and it's amazing how she can completely read my thoughts and emotions. we have had such a strong connection that i've been able to get her to leave other dogs without force. I feel as though I am dominant over her and she respects that, although she does have her moments where she gets distracted and runs to a different building. When that happens, i pull out a laser (at night, at least) and then she gets distracted from being distracted and chases the laser back to me where she will then stick around.

So, there's how i ended up here! I have noticed around the forums that what i just told you might be typical of a new husky owner, and that Kiara is going to go through puberty and run wild? Obviously i hope this doesn't happen; but i would really love some criticism on what i am doing right/wrong in order to be proactive before anything bad might happen. I look forward to hearing back from you and meeting others around the forums as well.

Thanks so much!
Kiara,

Owners Emily Tilton and Brice Thrower
P.S. This was her enjoying the soft snow this morning!

Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 am

Oh gosh..she's too cute, great video.
bricethrower wrote:
I'll start with what I believe others would frown upon, just to get it over with.

1) I live in an apartment complex. 4 bed 4 bath. it's on the first floor and has a back porch that she likes to lay out on and watch the view of the courtyard.
A good deal of us actually live in apartments. With enough exercise, physical and mental, who cares where you live? Korra and I do great in a 2 bed 2 bath Smile
Hey, if you don't mind sharing your bed, go for it..I have a twin though, so that is NOT happening, lol.
The off leash thing has been a hot topic here a few times...but I don't know you, I don't know Kiara, and it's ultimately, in my opinion, your decision.
A common misconception is that it's cruel to have a husky in a hot climate, I doubt anyone here's about to judge. Plenty of people here are from Florida, Texas, wherever, and are far better husky parents than most, imo. Their fluff protects them from heat too, not just cold.

Anyways, don't worry too much about what people might frown upon. A lot of the time, Mr. I-used-to-have/breed-huskies on the street doesn't know sh*t, those are the people who are about to give you a hard time about that stuff.
However, I'll be honest, you do need to post more photos...
Welcome to the forum wave
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 am

Dot wrote:
Oh gosh..she's too cute, great video.
bricethrower wrote:

A good deal of us actually live in apartments. With enough exercise, physical and mental, who cares where you live? Korra and I do great in a 2 bed 2 bath Smile
Hey, if you don't mind sharing your bed, go for it..I have a twin though, so that is NOT happening, lol.
The off leash thing has been a hot topic here a few times...but I don't know you, I don't know Kiara, and it's ultimately, in my opinion, your decision.
A common misconception is that it's cruel to have a husky in a hot climate, I doubt anyone here's about to judge. Plenty of people here are from Florida, Texas, wherever, and are far better husky parents than most, imo. Their fluff protects them from heat too, not just cold.

Anyways, don't worry too much about what people might frown upon. A lot of the time, Mr. I-used-to-have/breed-huskies on the street doesn't know sh*t, those are the people who are about to give you a hard time about that stuff.
However, I'll be honest, you do need to post more photos...
Welcome to the forum wave

I agree with everything Dot said here.

We live in Tulsa, Ok the temps get very hot here in the summer and my pups do very well in the heat I have one that thinks he is suppose to sunbathe several times a day in the heat of the day.

Oh I find it interesting that you got you pup from a KC breeder. My little Girl Kerian the lighter one came from a shelter in Lee Summit, Mo she was picked up as in a area by KC I have often wonder where she really came from how she ended up a stray. She may have come from the same breeder as your?? who know.

Kiara is really had a good time in the snow. Mine two have not had any snow this year to play in.

Welcome again.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 am

Welcome. That video is adorable! Like others have said, lots of what you posted is pretty common here. The off leash thing has always been a hot topic, but you know your dog best. The only thing I'll say is that she is still a puppy and has those "puppy attachments" to you. She hasn't grown into a fully independent animal. Enjoy your off leash time, but just be aware that it may not be possible once she realizes how awesomely tempting the rest of the world is!

Good luck and I hope to see more pictures and videos!
Back to top Go down
bricethrower
Newborn
Newborn
bricethrower

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks Everyone for the encouragement!

Quote :
A good deal of us actually live in apartments. With enough exercise, physical and mental, who cares where you live? Korra and I do great in a 2 bed 2 bath

I agree with all of that! I guess i had read somewhere that them being on the same level made them feel "equal" to you, to the point where they would not view you as having power over them.

Quote :
Enjoy your off leash time, but just be aware that it may not be possible once she realizes how awesomely tempting the rest of the world is!

great advice! I'm going to try to train her similar to how I trained my old dog to stay within a certain range for bird hunting.. Might work, might not. But luckily in the worst case scenario with where I'm living, if she does decide to run away i will be able to find her within the complex eventually. and since she is somewhat scared of parking lots now, hopefully she would be cautious about going out.. but if this is the case, i would retrieve her and start using a leash.

Quote :
I'll be honest, you do need to post more photos...

I'm not really sure how to change the profile picture :/ i looked around and couldnt find anywhere to change that or make a signature. I'll look around more but some directions would be nice as well.

Thanks again!

Hey everybody! coming from Kansas 75033_11
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 pm

That dominance crap is so outdated (laying on your bed/furniture makes them think they are equal to you). I let Kennedy sleep on my bed and I share my couch with both my girls, yet you don't see them trying to take over the world Wink . I couldn't imagine sharing my things with my girls. Don't let anyone tell you that she will try to be your "alpha" because you let her sleep with you Laughing .

I agree Sara; just be cautious about where you let her off leash and always be prepared for her to possibly bolt. Sheba didn't make it to 5 months off leash..she made it to like 15 weeks and she was already trying to runaway Rolling Eyes .

I live in a one bedroom apartment with my two girls, used to be three dogs. Don't worry about the apartment thing. Most of us who live in apartments HAVE to get out and exercise our dogs, so I guess it's better then some people who have large backyards and that's the only way their dogs get exercise (not anyone on here, but in general).

I live in Nebraska lol, so I know what you mean about our bipolar weather. It's so much fun.

I will warn you that it seems people around here don't know a lot about Siberians, so they feel the need to educate you as an owner since Sibes aren't all that common around our area..if you haven't experienced this already.

Anyway, Welcome!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I love when people ask me about how I'm being cruel an having my husky in hot weather here in Florida and I get to inform them about the protection their coat gives them. He plays in the water/ sits in the AC all summer long. I go to school in North Florida and the weather is absolutely crazy. Yesterday it was on the high 80's, extremely muggy And just plain gross. Today it's been in the 50's all day.

Like many said, the off leash is a hot topic. I'm comfortable letting Darwin my 3 year old off only in certain places. I ride horses and the only time I'm comfortable with him being off leash is there. He's very good with checking in with me every ten minutes. Though the closest road is 2-3 miles out. Otherwise he's gets to be on his pretty pink leash.

You get to know your dog and their limits for sure. Mine loves escaping from our backyard whenever he gets the chance. Then getting in my bed after, curling up and passing out.

Good luck with the pup! They grow up so fast, but they're a blast the whole way Smile
Back to top Go down
bricethrower
Newborn
Newborn
bricethrower

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
That dominance crap is so outdated (laying on your bed/furniture makes them think they are equal to you). I let Kennedy sleep on my bed and I share my couch with both my girls, yet you don't see them trying to take over the world Wink . I couldn't imagine sharing my things with my girls. Don't let anyone tell you that she will try to be your "alpha" because you let her sleep with you Laughing .

I agree Sara; just be cautious about where you let her off leash and always be prepared for her to possibly bolt. Sheba didn't make it to 5 months off leash..she made it to like 15 weeks and she was already trying to runaway Rolling Eyes .

I live in a one bedroom apartment with my two girls, used to be three dogs. Don't worry about the apartment thing. Most of us who live in apartments HAVE to get out and exercise our dogs, so I guess it's better then some people who have large backyards and that's the only way their dogs get exercise (not anyone on here, but in general).

I live in Nebraska lol, so I know what you mean about our bipolar weather. It's so much fun.

I will warn you that it seems people around here don't know a lot about Siberians, so they feel the need to educate you as an owner since Sibes aren't all that common around our area..if you haven't experienced this already.

Anyway, Welcome!

agreed! i had read that that and letting them walk through a door before you, made them think they were the alphas... i chuckled. Laughing

I HATE THIS WEATHERRRR!!!! I'm glad to know that kansas isn't the only place that applies to this

Hey everybody! coming from Kansas Weathe11

haha Razz

There actually are a few Sibes in my apartment complex, however nowhere else in Lawrence have I seen one. They are owned by asian girls who did not know how to train dogs at all when they got them. When i first moved here i saw one of them out back and that dog would pull her around like a doll. At the time i hadn't done any research on training them and now i understand why he was doing it, but I'm sure it could've been controlled and i feel bad for him because he is barely ever outside because he tries to run around and pulls her and her boyfriend all over the place. a couple wks after i got Kiara, we went to meet her dog and the first thing she said was "how do you get your dog to not run away?" and i told her the training i've done with her and she hadnt done anything :/

Kiara might eventually have to be leashed, but at least she will be trained..

Back to top Go down
bricethrower
Newborn
Newborn
bricethrower

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 pm

darbear wrote:
I love when people ask me about how I'm being cruel an having my husky in hot weather here in Florida and I get to inform them about the protection their coat gives them. He plays in the water/ sits in the AC all summer long. I go to school in North Florida and the weather is absolutely crazy. Yesterday it was on the high 80's, extremely muggy And just plain gross. Today it's been in the 50's all day.

It is pretty awesome how their fur works like that!!

Quote :

Good luck with the pup! They grow up so fast, but they're a blast the whole way Smile

Thank you! She has grown quite a bit in the past 3 weeks, i'm amazed! and I'm going to love her her whole life! but i am sooooo nervous about the leash thing :/ I am going to do what needs to be done, and if it means that she is leashed at all times while outdoors, then it will be done. But if there is anything at all that i could do to train her to not run away.. (or maybe train her to not have ADD Wink ...I will do it. I want her to run like crazy and enjoy the whole courtyard whenever she can, and then respect my commands when they are offered to her!!!

For now she's still doing okay off leash, but like i said before, luckily this place is fenced in if anything extreme happens tongue
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 pm

One of the things you can do to give you piece of mind (and what I myself do) is attach 50-100ft or more long lines to her collar so if she does decide that squirrel is just more tempting then listening or she realizes she can run away, you can just stomp on that line before she gets away too far. If just for the piece of mind it gives you Smile . The only thing you can do is to take preventative measures; keep training recall every single day, test her in different areas to make sure your recall is solid, but don't set her up to fail. Also don't do these kind of exercises in a place she can get hurt. Sheba listens to me very well; I have never had a problem with her running from me when she is loose, but I can honestly say I wouldn't push it with her. She has gotten loose from me once, and she came right to me when I called her. Kennedy on the other hand...she gets that look in her eyes when she realizes she isn't attached to me and she is gone. We have been working hard on recall...but she just isn't getting it. BUT that doesn't mean I won't give up her. You just have to know your personal dog and know and accept the risks you are taking when you let ANY dog off leash.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! coming from Kansas   Hey everybody! coming from Kansas Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey everybody! coming from Kansas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1