It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Found fleas!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm

So I just got my boy about a week ago, and he started itching, so I checked him out, and he has fleas! I bought him a capstar to kill them! Now should I spray the whole house/yard, or just vacuum, and wash everything? If I should spray the house, what is a good brand to use to spray? He's going to get a bath tomorrow, so I'm gonna use the capstar before his bath, so the fleas come out during it!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Capstar only works for 24 hours. If you have flea eggs anywhere in your home, they can live 2-3 years and can hatch whenever they feel vibration. They're insane. They usually end up in cracks, hard to reach places, and under woodwork. We've gone from Frontline to The Program to Comfortis and have not had fleas for years. They are difficult to get rid of once you get them, and they'll make your dog miserable usually. We have cats and small children, so we avoided bombing our house and still got rid of the fleas. They like to live in carpet too. We ripped all of the carpet out of this house and installed hardwood floors as a preventative measure. I was at war with fleas when we lived in a rental house in Virginia that had carpet. Fleas will drive you mad, so you have to stay on top of the situation and then never give in.
Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 pm

What are you currently giving your dogs?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 pm

You might sprinkle all the carpet and furniture with food grade diatomaceous earth before doing your whole house vacuum and wash to help kill the fleas. You can also sprinkle it in the yard too to get them out of your yard at the same time.

Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Huskyluv, can I use the garden grade?
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Axel23 wrote:
What are you currently giving your dogs?

We trust our holistic vet, so they're prescribing Comfortis. We don't have ticks here in our part of Oregon, so we don't need an all-in-one or Heartgard. When we lived in VA, we were using a Frontline and Heartgard combo. If you have a good vet, then trust your vet and go with what they recommend.

At one point, the fleas got so bad that we had to give Frontline every 3 weeks and Capstar every 3 days. It was crazy. I HATE FLEAS!!! And I hate pumping chemicals into my dogs. But we've been flea-free for years now and it's been great.

I also second the diatomaceous earth (DE) food grade. Never heard of garden grade. Probably is the same thing. We bought a 50lb bulk bag and coated the yard and carpet with it. Just remember that the DE powder, if put into the air, can harm those who breath it. If you're putting it down, you have to keep your pets away and possibly wear a mask so you don't inhale it. We add DE to our dog's raw food as a natural, internal worm/parasite killer. They feed DE to horses too. Read up on it. It's an amazing thing. Just don't get the DE they use in swimming pool filters, as that will kill your dog.
Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 pm

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3276739&store=0138&view=detail

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Safer-Brand-4-lb-Diatomaceous-Earth-Ant-and-Crawling-Insect-Killer-51702/202743025/

I was gonna go get one of these!
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 pm

I have found that frontline doesn't work well with fleas but K9 Advantix works great.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 pm

I have always used Frontline Plus and Heartgard Plus on all my dogs. I have never had either a tick or a flea on any dog!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Frontline worked for us initially, but over time seemed to stop working.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Axel23 wrote:
http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3276739&store=0138&view=detail

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Safer-Brand-4-lb-Diatomaceous-Earth-Ant-and-Crawling-Insect-Killer-51702/202743025/

I was gonna go get one of these!

The DE I was using was pure DE. I noticed the one image said "contains DE" so not sure if that's pure DE, or some blend of chemicals plus DE. You just have to read the bags up close and see if either are pure DE. I wouldn't want to put down any crazy chemicals in areas that my dog is going to sleep, play or eat/drink. DE by itself is harmless (unless inhaled), so I'd look for pure DE.
Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 pm

These said 87% silicon dioxide, and 23% other ingredients.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diatomaceous+earth+food+grade+powder&sprefix=diatomaceous+earth%2Caps%2C388

This is the one I got and 10 lbs is a whole lot it will take me for ever to use.

We really don't have fleas but want to use it for the spiders we have it is suppose to work on all insects.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Make sure it is food grade and not anything else. The other ones are not the same thing, and can be dangerous. Garden grade is used in pool filters and is actually toxic. Check this out, it gives some good information on the differences:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-differences-between-diatomaceous-earth-grades.htm

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Found fleas! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 11:50 pm

ljelgin wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diatomaceous+earth+food+grade+powder&sprefix=diatomaceous+earth%2Caps%2C388

This is the one I got and 10 lbs is a whole lot it will take me for ever to use.

We really don't have fleas but want to use it for the spiders we have it is suppose to work on all insects.

I actually bought a pound of it tonight! I hope it ends up being enough!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 am

As has been said, do NOT use garden grade. Use food grade DE only if you are going to use it.

Newborn
Newborn

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 10:07 am

I ordered the food grade from amazon! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Found fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found fleas!   Found fleas! Empty

Back to top Go down

Found fleas!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top