It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sun and coat color

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I am sorry if this was already discussed.....couldn't find any topics in search. So, I understand that sun exposure can change or "sunburn" a husky coat....but just how much exposure is safe to prevent this? We are showing Mishka, and want to be careful with her. BUT, she loves to be outside now that the weather is great. She lives inside, but in the last week, she has spent several hours of each day outside playing with the big dogs.

Any advice to keep her coat nice and still let her enjoy outside?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:43 pm

I have heard that if you shave them, they will get sunburns.

I haven't heard that the sun will do anything to the coat.

I would imagine it could make it more dull, though. But that's a non-educated guess. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for that. Yes they can get a skin burn if shaved. Your pup is cute!
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

No problem! Sorry I don't have anything more concrete. Razz

Thank you! Yours is as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 6:15 pm

What you are referring to is more likely to happen to reds than to grays or other colors. Reds 'bleach out' much like human blonds do in the summer sun. You literally have to keep reds in a cave to keep their coat in show condition. My gray male that I show I do not 'fuss' over how long he is outside, he's outside all day. The things that will help the coat be in it's best condition are the foods you feed, there are supplements that encourage healthy coat as well, and quality bathing products (limit conditioner use though). When we are in a show circuit it is not uncommon to bathe him weekly or even mid show so it is very important high quality grooming products are used.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes very common in reds. Zoeys sister Cinder was identical in color to Zoey, but her sister is an outdoor dog vs. Zoey being an indoor dog.

As puppies
Zoey:
Sun and coat color 544040_4558839021109_54772828_n
Cinder:
Sun and coat color Sbt3cn

Now
Cinder:
Sun and coat color 397397_116059915239963_286857051_n

Zoey:
Sun and coat color 1234_4020370239726_1432984603_n
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Wow! Big differance.

What grooming products do you recomend? Really appreciate your input!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:55 pm

For Denali it really depends, the first bath after the winter when he's super 'dirty' I will use Ivory soap bars to whiten his whites, then rewash with Groomer's Edge Alpha White or EZ Groom Crystal White Shampoo. Either of those are sold as concentrates and I like to use the concentrate on the whites to ensure bright whites ... For his color I'll use Groomer's Edge Midnight White which will still brighten his undercoat but also enhance his colors. I'll use the same regiment for my gray female as well, she's a lot more 'solid' gray than Denali is.

For my red I use Chris Christensen's Red on Red. And mink oil spray which is a non-sticky sunscreen for the coat, not something for every day use...I still have to be mindful of how much sun exposure she's getting around show times.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 pm

That is awsome. I am not that far off the mark on what i am using. I would have never considered Ivory sosp, tho! Sometimes I use handmade cold pressed soap that is made locally. Perfect for puppies.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Lani, would you suggest these shampoos "regular" husky owner? We typically didn't bathe our dogs in the past so I don't know much about shampoos, and even though Snoopy isn't particularly fond of getting dirty, having two dogs they definitely get dirty faster haha
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 am

Absolutely I'd recommend quality products over non-quality products for any dog- pet coats are just as important as a show dog's coat when it comes to health IMO Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 am

Sierra was super light red when we first got her as she was kept outside, now she is darker, kind of like the pics jennet showed!
I know nothing about shampoos we don't bath them that much

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks Lani! Your advise is always so helpful. Now I just have to decide which shampoo! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 am

Yes, thank your for you input on this site! It's invaluable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sun and coat color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun and coat color   Sun and coat color Empty

Back to top Go down

Sun and coat color

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1