It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

new here, couple of questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stone Free
Newborn
Newborn
Stone Free

Male Join date : 2013-04-07

new here, couple of questions Empty
PostSubject: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Hello all, I've read a few topics on here before and finally decided to register. My Husky is a 14 week old female named Aurora. new here, couple of questions Aurora10 new here, couple of questions Aurora12
I got her from a local breeder at 8 weeks old and we've been best friends since. Some of you can probably tell that I'm a Hendrix fan, however she is decidedly not. lol!
new here, couple of questions Disc10

Before I decided to get a Husky puppy, I googled and found this site. I found out a lot about temperament, and what to expect as far as personality and energy levels. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get answered. The first one is stick chewing. I'm sure this is not good for her, and she has plenty of chew toys of her own, but every time she gets in the back yard she finds a stick and chews on it. What is the best way to break this?

My second question is the one I'm most concerned about. When she runs, sometimes she "hops" where her back legs stay together. It doesn't happen all the time, but I know that this is usually a bad sign in other breeds and can sometimes mean hip dysplasia. Is the "hopping" normal for this breed, or should I be concerned?
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

Female Join date : 2012-12-07

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 pm

First off, welcome she's very cute.

Yuki loves to carry either sticks or a leaf when he goes outside. He'll always have one in his mouth. If you don't like it then I'd suggest teaching *drop it* command. But I haven't had a problem with it personally.

As for hopping, Yuki is a bunny. He bounces all over the place, I haven't seen the back leg thing? So perhaps someone else will have better advice, but mine hops and jumps all over.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Welcome! Shaqua hops occasionally too, but it's obvious she is doing it on purpose to be playful. As long as she seems to be happy while doing it and not some sort of pain I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Bode loves chewing sticks too. I don't worry about it. Just a little extra fiber in his diet Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stone Free
Newborn
Newborn
Stone Free

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies! I may just be overprotective with the sticks. I'm relieved to hear the hopping is fairly common as well.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I was just saying today that my girl looked like a bunny running around the yard bounce. As far as the sticks go, I don't allow her to have skinny/short ones because when she was younger she choked on quite a few and I actually had to stick my fingers down her throat to get them out so I guess you can call me a worry wart lol. I have taught her "leave it", "drop it" as far as ones I don't want her to have. Since I know she loves to play with them (what dog doesn't) she now runs around playing fetch with big ones (even brings them in the house lol) but she knows I don't allow her to eat them
Back to top Go down
CaptainMorgan
Puppy
Puppy
CaptainMorgan

Female Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

D'awww, I love her. She is super fluffy like my Malfoy, same size too almost.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 am

Love your husky...

Same here with the sticks, at first I worries a lot but now I allow Meeka to play with them. She has a tendency to play "keep away" with my other small non husky pup.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 am

Hopping is normal lol.. don't worry about that.

As for the stick thing, I don't let me girls eat them. One time Kennedy was happily chomping down on a stick and all the sudden her eyes bulged out and she looked so scared. I ran over to her and I had to stick my hand down her throat to pull a piece that had gotten stuck out of her throat. One of the scariest experiences ever. After using the "leave it" command for quiet awhile, she has come to the conclusion she isn't allowed to have them and stays away from them. Sheba hasn't been allowed from the start, so I don't have a problem with her.

I'm not trying to scare you, but be aware that a lodged stick can and does happen. Lots of dogs (like those above) chew on sticks and nothing happens. I just pick and choose my battles with my girls.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Stone Free
Newborn
Newborn
Stone Free

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 am

yeah, I worry about wood splinters, and choking. I'd much prefer she chew on her toys, or at least my socks (her other favorite) but I suppose that the occasional stick is ok so long as she's being supervised.

Here's another pic from the first week I brought her home. She was investigating my mom's jeep to see if she might like to ride in it. lol!
new here, couple of questions 85860810

housebreaking is going really well (mostly because she wants to go outside any chance she gets) and we're working on basic commands. She's good at 'sit', 'come', and 'leave it'. Not so much with 'stay', or 'drop it' ...but I'm thinking about enrolling her in the obedience training at the PetSmart up the road.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

Congrats on your fluffy baby! Sticks are normal~but I try to stop Mishka from eating them....she likes to puke them up on the middle of the night! Yikes!

I think it's great you are working on obedience from the get go. All we have done with ours is just 5 minutes here and there, and she knows a lot for her age. I would, personally, however, stay away from Petsmart for training. ( I am generalizing my opinion here, I admit!) It's my humble opinion that they are just not well qualified for the job, and I have heard some horrible things! Try a local kennel club or obedience club for a professional trainer, or husky club for a referral. You would be happy to know the cost will be comparable and you will get much better training.

Just my two cents~~
Back to top Go down
Stone Free
Newborn
Newborn
Stone Free

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

Mishka'sMom wrote:
Congrats on your fluffy baby! Sticks are normal~but I try to stop Mishka from eating them....she likes to puke them up on the middle of the night! Yikes!

I think it's great you are working on obedience from the get go. All we have done with ours is just 5 minutes here and there, and she knows a lot for her age. I would, personally, however, stay away from Petsmart for training. ( I am generalizing my opinion here, I admit!) It's my humble opinion that they are just not well qualified for the job, and I have heard some horrible things! Try a local kennel club or obedience club for a professional trainer, or husky club for a referral. You would be happy to know the cost will be comparable and you will get much better training.

Just my two cents~~

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had heard about the quality level of their training. I'll definitely shop around, I can tell that she would benefit from the training. She can now play fetch too, almost. She is good at going to get her ball, and sometimes she will bring it back. Other times a stick, or a squirrel in a tree, or any number of things distract her and she forgets about the ball and decides to do her own thing. lol! So long as she's enjoying herself I suppose I can't complain

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I have big issues with people generalizing training like that, honestly. It really is specific to each store for the quality of their training, and I wouldn't immediately discount them. Yes, there are crappy trainers out there at Petco and Petsmart, but there are also excellent trainers and to generalize that "all trainers with x chain are bad" is doing a disservice. You're going to see the same quality spread with private trainers as well, you just need to get out and do your homework.

We had an excellent trainer at our local Petsmart in absolute podunk FL, and it wound up being a very positive experience for us. Now that we've moved, we have had better luck with a non chain based training company, but again, I did my homework before we started anything.

Good luck, and Aurora is beautiful Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

new here, couple of questions 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Absolutely agree with you and I admitted I was generalizing. I should have gone on to say that each place is different. That is what I was thinking. And I agree that you have that same level of quality with pro trainers, too. I an glad you had a good experience.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm

I love your little fur ball!!!! So cute!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new here, couple of questions   new here, couple of questions Empty

Back to top Go down

new here, couple of questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1