It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To raw, or not to raw.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:39 pm

If you're trying to put weight on her, look up satin balls. One of the guys at the dog park I go to used them for his dog...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm

How's she doing on the raw? Gaining weight, all better? I took Dizzy to the vet today and the vet berated me about being raw, but I let it roll off... All I wanted was his shots, so, we're good there lol.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Ah! So sorry I haven't updated. She's doing great!! We have moved on to beef and since then pork. Cause actually, I'm a dumbass haha. I bought some ribs thinking they were beef. $1.88/lb and I'm all like dude yes!! Go to ring it up and it says "pork butt" on my receipt. Turns out country style ribs are pork haha. To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 1625187496 So yeah I won the genius award that day. In my defense though, I don't eat meat so idk. And even when I did I didn't ever eat any kind of ribs, beef or not. Too much fat. Ick. But anyway, she's been eating chuck roast. I've upped her to about 1 1/4 lbs once a day. She's doing super, loves everything I put in front of her except the liver, gonna have to figure that one out. She tried though I will say that. She licked it all and nibbled on it a bit. I left her out there with it for a while and she kept going back to it and licking some more and nibbling here and there but she finally gave up. She has gained probably a pound or two so far and definitely has much more energy!

Yeah, ignore the vet. In one ear and out the other.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm

That's great! So glad to hear she's doing so much better!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:40 pm

To be honest, I didn't follow the rules. I did no transition with raw, i did it cold turkey and I fed whatever meat I could. I fed only poultry in the beginning though, taking care to have plenty of bone for no runny poops. After a month or so I added beef, but I still don't feed it that often.

Now I feed - Duck, Veal, Beef Tripe, Chicken, Turkey, Venison and Lamb.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:39 am

Megan lamb was actually really cheap (compared to the $14/lb at SAM's) at publix when I was there but I literally don't have any more room in my freezer. Plus we're moving in 2 weeks so I'm gonna have to cram is all in a cooler with some ice. Hopefully I can find it just as cheap when we get there! I have yet to see duck or trpe, did see veal but it made me kinda sad haha. And it was expensive. Mila hasn't gotten chicken in a while. When I started on beef I gave her chicken for breakfast and beef for dinner but after a couple of days she just got beef at one meal. She's done fine. No runny poops lately to my knowledge. Beef is actually really expensive, I can't find it anywhere for less than $4.99/lb.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:43 am

Heather, is she not eating any organ at all? Sounds like you're doing great, keep up the good work and keep trying with the liver. As an alternative though, you can feed freeze dried organ as an alternative if she absolutely refuses to take the raw liver. I feed freeze dried beef and lamb liver to my dogs since I can't tolerate handling raw organs while pregnant without getting nauseous.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

And freeze dried liver only loses 3% of its nutritional value Smile
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:08 am

What is the consensus of a mixed diet...kibble/raw? I have fed raw off and on and occasionally will do a raw meal with my two..but their diet is mainly kibble (TOTW right now). In a month or two I am planning to get rabbits and start breeding/raising meat rabbits. I plan to do more raw at that time. I was thinking of doing kibble in the AM and raw in the PM. Is there any concerns with doing a diet of raw and kibble together? I'm usually in a rush in the mornings so it would be much easier to throw some kibble in a bowl than to thaw out a raw meal. lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

Nothing wrong with feeding both kibble and raw, although many would advise keeping them as separate meals rather than combining them into one meal. I feed both kibble and raw, I feed them on separate days though as I only feed one main meal a day to my dogs.

Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:31 am

I haven't tried any other organ yet, honestly I don't know where to get any. She nibbled on the liver, took it out of her bowl and licked it all. The walked away and came back and nibbled and then licked it again. She did that about 5 or 6 times and then she gave up. Where would I get freeze dried?? I did not even know about that but if I can find them we'll defintely do that instead because the liver was a bit much for me. It smelled terrible and felt like a tongue. Thank you Mila for leaving it on the ground for me to pick up.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:40 am

You can buy freeze dried liver at most pet food/supply stores.

Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:43 am

Awesome!! I'll see if I can find some here.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

So I joined that raw group on facebook and not to sound whiny but they're kind of mean. It's like they expect everyone to know all the rules immediately and if they don't do it right then you're an animal abuser and a terrible terrible pet owner and a horrible person. So! I'm going to ask my question here and get some more input other than I'm an idiot and I did it wrong.

I will say I think I'm not doing something right because Mila either has cannon butt or fossil poops. I just can't find the in between. I did feed her alot of pork for a while because I bought some ribs thinking they were beef and I had to get rid of them before we moved. I was told I went too fast introducing new proteins but it's been about 2 months now and she's only had beef and pork in addition to the chicken? She also was on chicken for 10 days before 2 weeks of beef before the pork. They were saying I should start all the way over and leave her on chicken for a while and only give her one bite of a new protein at a time. I mean, how slow am I really supposed to go? By that logic it will take until Christmas to get her onto anything besides chicken. I think I figured out I may just be feeding her too much. She's getting 4% for weight gain but she may not be able to handle it. Last Friday I didn't feed her, giving her body a break (plus the movers came and packed everything so she was a little stressed about that too), Sat and Sun she got 1lb split breast, poops were fine. Mon she got 1lb boneless skinless something? Chicken. Poop was fine. Yesterday she got almost 2lbs boneless skinless thighs (trying to see if the amount was the problem, plus it was the smallest amount they had and we're in a hotel so I can't do a whole lot right now) and this morning she barely made it outside before her canon butt exploded. Twice. So I'm thinking 4% is too much for her. What does everybody think? Should we start back over all the way on chicken for weeks and add new proteins one bite at a time or go back to what she was eating and just give her 2.5%-3% (1 - 1.25lbs)?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:42 pm

I'd reset and start from point A again... You can feed her rice and some boiled boneless skinless chicken breast, and once her poop resets to normal, start back with the chicken.

Every dog is different - some of them will need more bone than others, so when starting out, see if you can do a chicken quarter (thigh, drumstick) for the morning and a chicken breast in the evening. A chicken drumstick is about 27% bone so her poops should be a little more firm. Stark always ALWAYS needed in and around 10% of his meal to be bone, so I started using ground patties with the 10% bone included. Once or twice a week, he'll get the actual chicken or beef pieces so he doesn't lose the mental & dental benefits, but for the most part, it's the patties... Also, if you feed your organs once a week make sure to include extra bone for that day's meal since organs can be very rich and cause loose poops.

People introduce different proteins differently - most recommend it over a week or two of phasing out the old protein while phasing into the new protein - doing a bite at a time will just make anybody go crazy, but I've found the week or two method works best for Stark (and he's got a sensitive stomach as well).

I'd scale her intake back down to 2-3% and see how she does with that. There are other things you can try if you want to make her gain weight - fattier cuts of meat, fattier meats (lamb etc), and there are also things known as satin balls that are suggested if your dog needs to put on weight. Judging from the profile pic, she looks just about right Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Oh, I should also mention, even though this may not be anything, there's no chance she might have picked up worms or anything, is there? The fact that he poops goes from soft to hard sounds like it might not be an issue, but thought I'd ask to make sure anyway...
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:43 pm

She did have worms a month or so ago and she got treated for them. Went two rounds of treatment. So i would think it wasn't worms but it could be?? I'll have to stop and find a vet though to even find out. And don't let her picture fool you! She's all hair. I'm thinking she's probably 1/4 Malamute because of all of her hair, I've never seen a full Husky with as much hair as she has. She has a mane and feathers on the back of her legs and everything. But your guess is as good as mine. She weighs 39 lbs now, that's after she gained the 5 lbs since we started raw.
In the past she's done fine on 1.25 lbs of whatever, so that may be her max. We'll stick to one pound or 1 1/4 if we have to of chicken for a while and see how she does. We just left her in the hotel room for literally not even 2 hours while we looked for houses and she left us a nice big completely liquid shit all over the floor while we were gone. So I'm thinking that might be a step further than cannon butt to diarrhea cause I took her out 3 times this morning and she pooped every time, all completely liquid. The rice and boiled chicken really isn't an option now as we're in a hotel until we find a house but I can feed chicken until she gets straightened out. May fast her for a day again, that seemed to work well last Friday.

I'm so glad to hear you say that about the one bite at a time. I wasn't going to do that anyway but seriously?! Is that how it's really supposed to be done?? I'm sorry but screw that! Aint nobody got time for that!! It would take a month to get to a 1/2 and 1/2 meal with a new protein! I'll look into the lamb and the satin balls when I'm somewhere that I can actually do that. I think the biggest thing is going to be cutting back on the amount. Sticking to 1 lb - 1.25lb at the most is probably going to be my best bet.

Also, everyone on the facebook was saying that loose/soft poops were okay but I didn't think so?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Based on the trend you posted, I would try scaling back on amounts. If she's doing good and gaining then perhaps it's just too much food for her and a slower weight gain due to feeding smaller amounts isn't a bad thing.

I have never taken a slow approach to introducing new proteins and it's never been an issue with my dogs. There are lots of different approaches one could take, you have to decide what works for you and your dog.

Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Val I honestly don't think it's the protein I really think it's the amount. We'll stay on chicken a few more days since I have some and we're already almost at a week of chicken anyway but I'll wait until everything calms down and she's okay and I'll head back to beef, just smaller amounts. Hopefully she'll do okay, but I truly believe I was just giving her too much. She's been doing fine with one meal a day and as soon as her cannon butt subsides we'll do 1/2 chicken 1/2 beef until she's okay with that too. The move isn't helping any, even as easy going as she is it's alot of changes so I'm sure that's contributing to her stomach issues .
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm

She could need another deworming too, they can be pesky little buggers.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I hope not!! She's been for two rounds and I don't want to have to find another vet so soon!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Heather, you can go to a clinic for a cheap dewormer. You can tcheck if there is on near you at http://luvmypet.com/ or http://www.vetcoclinics.com/services-and-clinics/petco-vaccination-clinics/
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Heather, can you post a picture? How well can you feel her ribs? I'm trying to gauge if you are feeding way too much. My 35-38lb female only get 12 oz of meat to maintain.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:48 am

Megan her ribs are a tad better simce she gained the wight but I can pretty much lace my fingers between them. And her spine and hip bones stick out enough to actually hurt a person if she lays on you. A picture wouldn't help unless I shaved her :/ she really is all hair.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:18 am

It would help for shape. If you took one from the top, side and rear. It would help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

To raw, or not to raw.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding :: Raw Feeding Forum-