It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doggie Day Camp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:34 pm

I am extremely nervous, Micole is going to Doggie Day Camp tomorrow morning for the first time. Micole plays really really rough. She bites but playful. She has never broken skin or made another dog yelp. She normally bites other dogs collars. I never really see her bite skin before. I am scared she is going to get way too excited and either she will make the mistake of biting a dog or is just too hyper for the other dogs and they will not like her. Anyone had experience with this kind of fear. Or I could be overreacting and over thinking this and she will be fine...lol Doggie Day Camp 1625187496
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm

That's normal husky play and a good doggie daycare will 1. be able to settle the dog down before they are introduced to new dogs and 2. watch and correct any behavior that goes above normal rough husky play and 3. put the dogs into play groups where the dogs have similar play styles.

Fantastic podcast on multi-dog interactions:
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/make-dogs-your-life/the-make-dogs-your-life-podcast/episode/23011580/refid/asie

(Also covers why I hate dog parks! LOL)
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Thank you!!! Sorry was just so worried. I know its normal for her I just don't want people to think she is a bad dog and is misbehaving. I guess since it is my first time I am so paranoid over it.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Are you talking about PetSmarts Doggy Day Camp?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Yes I am
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am

Hmm. I had an awful experience with Doggy Day Camp so I just want to share it with you.

When my Lhasa Kloe was still with me, I took her and Kennedy in for a Doggy Day Camp day. Everything looked pretty good to me, so I was excited for them to get to romp and play with other dogs!

When I came back though, I saw Kennedy and Kloe in the same play group with a bunch of mismatched sized dogs. Kloe was hiding under a little kids slide thing, in the corner shaking from fear. Kennedy was having tons of fun though...but Kloe was 10 pounds and Kennedy 30. Big difference.

At that Doggy Day Camp they did NOT separate by size or by energy. They just rotated groups based on what time they came in and tried to keep the piece as best they could. They were in a small glassed in area and sure, they had a lot of toys..but to throw a bunch of random dogs together that haven't been temperament tested is just asking for trouble...and they were only there 3 hours. Kloe was shaking the whole car ride home because of her experience. I ripped them a new one and asked WHY my toy sized dog was put into a group with overly hyper 30+ pound dogs. I also wanted to know why I had no notes of their stay like I was promised was going to happen.

So in my now educated mind, that was a horrible decision on my part to make and I vowed I would spread the word.

I highly suggest you slurge and take her to a real doggy day care that separates out by size and play style and tests every single dog that comes in. Could save you a lot of heartache and a scared dog.

Now, it may go just fine and she may have a blast tomorrow...but I wouldn't feel right sharing my experience.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 am

No thank you! I had a feeling something like this may happen, because Micole doesn't really like small dogs. She is wayyyy to rough with them. I had asked them to put her in with the larger dogs. They seem to be able to tolerate her hyperness more than the smaller ones. They said and assured me that Micole will be introduced correctly and they will make sure she will be placed in the right group for her. That being said I am expected to hear something from them. After this I probably will find something better for her. I dont see her lasting long there at all and i need her to be there all day today. But do to the short notice i was given i couldn't really do a whole lot of research to find something else even if there is something close to me. So I hope all goes well silent
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:40 pm

yay micole did good! I do want to find a place that will walk her and do training as well would be nice. She was still a little hyper by time I got her. I figured she would be really worn out...

Doggie Day Camp 20130421_113559_zps076529ae
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm glad it went well!! Like I said, Kennedy had a blast, but my poor Kloe.

It's so hard to pick a good daycare..there are like 4 top notch ones around me, but I can't decide!! They all have their good points and they all have something different that the other one doesn't have. One daycare has a grooming salon attached, one has a BIIIG outside play area, one is very popular for huskies, and so on.

Make sure to check over polices with a fine tooth. A lot of them I couldn't take my girls to. I titer test instead of yearly vaccination and some daycares won't take titers. Others require females to be spayed be a certain age (usually six months). Some daycares will take unspayed females but they can't be in heat.

One of MY big requirements is if I should ever have to board, is someone there 24/7?? I refuse to leave my dogs in a facility where the only protection they have is a locked door and sensors if anything were to happen. One facility I X'd out completely assured me that even though the dogs are left over night alone, they have cameras running and they have alarms for almost everything. I said okay..but who watches the cameras when you're sleeping? How fast can you be there if an emergency were to happen?? SCREW THAT! I want someone there 24/7 with my dogs! I also wanted a daycare that was big with husky owners. One even has a husky specific playgroup, which means they KNOW how huskies play and won't freak out and kick my girls out.

But I digress, I'm glad your baby had a good time! And that is really weird she was still bouncy, Kennedy passed out and slept the whole 2 hours home. It was nice Laughing .
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 5:13 pm

She is the devil when it comes to being worn out it, it is HARD to get her that away lol Twisted Evil

But i did some research and I honestly hope they keep being good to her because they are the only one close to me. Everyone else is across town is deep into houston. There is one other one but they sound like they keep them in a room together and occasionally they go outside for play time. It is hard to find places that understand Huskies here. Luckily the petsmart near me has a couple of huskies that go there. Doesn't mean they understand them but makes me feel better that they have some there. So until someone referred me to someone cause i can not find one online she will have to keep going there. I would love to find someplace that will actually take her on walks and do some training on her. they need more daycares in Deer park tx !! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doggie Day Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggie Day Camp   Doggie Day Camp Empty

Back to top Go down

Doggie Day Camp

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1