It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Death Scream

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
M.Gaynor
Newborn
Newborn

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 am

Hello, we are new to the forum. I have been reading online about Huskies and how some often can create a death scream or screech. Our problem is this. Our male 2 year old Husky was always a whiner, and yes a screamer as well. In the house, we simply deal with it. Training has not worked, nor have bark collars, especially considering these are not barks and Sibes often howl not bark. Bark collars are not specifically designed for this.

Our major issue started when our two Huskies escaped the yard at the same time. My husband ran out "forgetting leashes" in the rush to get them back. Luckily my husband managed to corner our dogs on the next block over from our house in the very yard they escaped to from our back yard. He took both of them by their collars as it was the only way to hang on to them. We all know Huskies do not walk willingly most times and will run away quickly. So, this was the safest way to grab them.

Our female Husky dragged my husband although she was very quiet, did not cry or howl at all. However, our male was a whole new story. He screamed, cried, screeched, yelled ..I could hear him from our house where I was staying in to watch our kids. It was very loud! Neighbors across the street from the house behind us called the police saying that my husband was abusing the dogs and that they were screaming in pain. The husband of the couple stated that "He knows sounds of pain, and that's what he hears coming from my house!"

Needless to say, the police arrived moments later at our home. The officer looked at all of our dogs. Nothing was wrong with any of them, and lucky for us our loud male displayed his loud behavior at excitement over seeing the officer, proving us to be right. In fact the officer said it looked as if my husband was the one who got abused! He had scratches up and down his arms from being yanked by the Huskies in to a bush! lol.

Since then, we have had our neighbors needlessly complain about us. Such as when our female blew her coat "was shedding" they said she had untreated mange! When our dogs who are certified and passed all of their genetic testing, were of age and proved to have the qualities we were looking for, minus the noise! We allowed the mating process, of course as nature has it, dogs lock together when mating. Our lovely neighbors called the police and claimed we had our dogs tied together by their back legs! That isn't all...this winter, they called on us for having our Huskies out in the snow! They claimed we had them out for ten hours! They were only out for a few hours in the morning and then again in the evening for exercise! Aside from that our Huskies, like all others have high tolerance and love the snow! They romp and play , simply enjoying every minute.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had to deal with anything like this? Has had issues with a screaming Husky? Or any comments you may have to share about our situation. Before anyone does ask though. I'd like to say that our vet says our male is high anxiety, he over excites. Also we have tried bark collars and also have tried training to the extreme.
Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

Male Join date : 2013-03-18

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 pm

You should go to your local police station and file a harassment complaint. That is what they are doing, and it is illegal in most countries. They have created a paper trail of false police reports, wasted public money and made your life harder.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Ridiculous. People are so rude! If they would have the decency to ask you about it rather than just jump to calling the authorities everything would have been just fine. Shaqua yelps when I'm brushing her, and I've had people claim that I need to stop because I'm hurting her. I know I'm not hurting her, she's just crying out like a child in time out. She doesn't like it and she thinks crying will get me to console her instead of brush her.

I agree with Simon. They are harassing you. I don't know if you have had the chance to actually talk to them about this, perhaps an opportunity to educate them on huskies....but it seems like they may be unwilling to listen.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 pm

I think I would grab some coffee and donuts and go have a nice chat with the folks next door. See if you cannot clear the air....gently with sugar and addictive legal stimulants! Wink

If not, then watch your back....and I agree...this is harassment. Nip it in the bud.

I will say that sometimes, we have to really get in Mish's face to get her to calm down, and I have had people give me looks~I don't care. I know my dog, and I know what I need to do for her to get her to settle.

I don't know you from Adam, so I will not comment on your allowance of the mating process. You might get some comments on that one, tho! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:29 pm

I feel for you, I do. We had neighbors like that who once reported us for starving our horses because they had a tendency to carry their feed pans around in their mouth looking hungry. Our solution was that we moved. You could try educating them about the breed, but they sound too dumb to learn. So...you could file a harassment complaint. Which will probably get you nowhere as well, and may make them retaliate more. Or you could move. Sorry no good answers. Sad I am chuckling over the "death scream" though- Vixen is a good one for that when you are trying to make her come in the house before she is ready!
Back to top Go down
catdog
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-04-25

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I' m new here as well. The only thing that came to my mind on how to deal with the Have-too-much time-on-their-Hands neighbors is find a descriptive and short article on how Siberians vocalize, make copies of the article and slip it in their door.

My Siberian was at the Vet the other day having his ears cleaned when the Death Screams started.
Of course he was screaming----he had a bit of yeast and the Vet was vigorously probing his ears.
The short of that was, the Vet said he had serious aggression tendencies and should be evaluated by a Dog Behaviorist. Death Scream 85993
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 pm

That is tooooo funny! And sad a vet didnt know better
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Kiba does the dramatic scream all too well lol. I used to get nervous our neighbors would think she was dying in her crate when I first got her b/c she was so loud.
Back to top Go down
catdog
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-04-25

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Changed Vets   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Yep! Stevie has an appointment with a new Vet next week!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Sounds like a good time to call the police on them for harassment.

Sorry you have have deal with people like that.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

I always get nervous that the neighbors will think I am killing Loki when he is on a leash. He is fine, Until he gets excited so I make him sit then you would think you lit his coat on fire! LOL. I am just waiting for Metro to come out one of these times. Death Scream 1625187496

We are ALWAYS calling on our neighbors from across the street, So just waiting for them to retaliate.
(And no, I am not harassing them). They have 3 border collie, The come racing across the street (One has hit a car, owners dont care. Won't keep them home.) to run up and down our fence line teasing the heck out of our lab, and have fully destroyed the top soil along both sides of our fenceline now. And, To top that, These dogs mate and have puppies and I highly doubt they are tested for anything. Not to mention the dogs seem to think they can herd people, By lunging and biting at them. I know, It is not the dogs fault, But it has come to the point where my dad carries a base ball bat just to open or close our gate! And I carry a 3.2 million volt taser whenever I go for a walk. Has gone on for 2 years now, Hoping one of these times Metro will come out when the dogs are out so they can actually do something about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Death Scream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Scream   Death Scream Empty

Back to top Go down

Death Scream

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1