It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Okami with a bow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Male Join date : 2013-04-20

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Okay so today I toked advantage of the weather , made some free time and toked Okami for a walk and some training.The training didn't go as planned, i tried to train him not to pull anymore but no use, I tried the stop technique (when he pulls I stop and when he calms down I walk) and the only thing that happened is that it toked me 20 minutes to walk 50 meters so I gave up and "fight" my way to town (i live far away from the nice parts of the city) and when he gets there he just calms him self and walks beside me at my own rate. I run with him every time to get him tired so he would walk beside me but when he rests he starts pulling again. Today i grabbed a backpack with 2 bottles of water (1.5L each) and a bowl to put him water and of course I tied a bow around his neck to make him look pretty and funny. Interesting thing about Okami today was that at one point i have put him water he didn't want to drink and when some girls poured him so ice-tea he drank it all. Same as with food, i offered him some dog grains (don't know how they are called in english) and he didn't want to eat and after 5-10 minutes he jumped to a friends bag of french fries and ate them all o_O . Why is he giving me such a bad time sometimes?

Here is a picture of me and the dog in the park ( I know I look funny )

Okami with a  bow P4280110
Back to top Go down
http://journaloframi.blogspot.ro/
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Love the bow! Very Happy With Loki, Every time he starts to pull I make him back up three steps and sit. It works great for me so maybe try it! Though by the time I am walking him he has already been tired out by biking. Though no matter what they will all have days of making us pull our hair out. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I will try your idea and i really have to repair my bike so I can put my dog to exercise but to be honest I always think what if the dog runs toward another dog and make me crush or what if i try to stop him but he keeps running and he crushes ?
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

If they veer to the side, Lightly apply your back breaks and turn the bike in the opposite direction a little bit, enough to pull on the dog and they usually straighten out. I taught Loki 'Easy' to slow down, and 'Whoa' to stop. To stop I tell him easy, then whoa, as I apply the back breaks and lightly place my feet on the ground and slowly add weight to them until the bike comes to a stop. I usually allow 5 feet stopping distance for a slow jog. Def more if your going faster. Smile I have had no crashing incidents as of yet, Remember that you have breaks and everything will be fine. Razz He has suddenly stopped in front of me though and I ran over the jore leash and it got wrapped up in my tire but I made sure to veer away from him when it happened, The bike just did a small front wheely and bruised up my knee but nothing more then that.

Also, Teach them 'On By' so whenever something catches their interest say On By! and make them keep going and come back out in front of you, Pretty soon you will see the first signs of something catching their attention and you can say that and they instantly snap out of it ( Unless its REALLY cool to them. ) Tire breaks and my feet have kept me from crashing though. Wink
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm

For my girls whenever there is any strain on the leash i turn around and walk the other way. It takes forever and i don't get very far. My girls pull and i've been working on training them not to one at a time. It's really worked well, Maya was even walking by my side near the end of the walk. It's just when they're together they're not so great. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Teach me how to train him !! I have no idea how and my attempts failed me every time Sad

At the beginning of the walk its like nightmare but i try to keep my cool but at the end is really pleasant when he walks beside me.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm

He is handsome!!!! Love the bow! I was going to ask the same thing...how do you train your husky to pull you on a bike? I can image Micole pulling sees another dog and i am sliding down the street... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 pm

i imagine death when i think about looking at my bike to see what wrong with it and then i change my mind and find something else to do ! hehe
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I am actually not sure how to train the commands, they just seemed to come for me.

With Hike, I would take him out on walks, I would make him walk then when he really wanted to go I would say Hike! and take off running, After a few times he figured out that Hike! means run, and now I am just moving that to Hike means pull!

With Easy, I would say easy whenever he decided himself to slow down, or whenever I needed to stop. I would say 'Easy' and dig my feet into the ground to slow him down then let him keep going at the slower pace. Now he is good enough with it that I just apply light brakes and say easy and he slows down to a jog. Smile

Haw (Left) and Gee (right). On walks every time we would turn I would say Haw, Or gee. When on the bike I turn the bike and use the pressure of turning it to direct him to the way I need and see Haw, or Gee before the turn. He is slowly but surely figuring it out.

and Whoa, I just say it then force a stop with my feet and breaks. I can now say whoa and use breaks only to slow the momentum of the bike, he himself stops. Smile

Maybe I am just lucky with those techniques! You can look up on Google for how to do each one. Some use target training, but I have always used say it as you do it to learn it on all my animals.

---

Huskies LOVE to pull. Hook them up to your bike (Make sure the lead is long enough that when they stretch out to run the tires wont get their feet or tail! about 6-7ft works for me) and then do not ask them to heal, Just slowly start moving your bike forward and let them move out in front of you. They are bound to try pulling and they will instantly realize the it is easy to pull something with tires and then will slowly go faster and faster as they realize they can. If your dog is very good with healing and will not pull, Then have someone put a leash on them and walk them out in front of you and slowly add pressure. It is possible to teach them a harness means pull and a collar means heal.

Because I started all of Lokis training myself I have been able to teach him collar positioning means the difference between walk in front of me or next to me. I do not have him pull hard in a collar at all, I just use a collar for training until my harness arrives, So I am always peddling the bike to keep just off a slack lead on him. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm

would a collar with spikes (i think you what kind i mean) help me train him to stop pulling?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Rami wrote:
would a collar with spikes (i think you what kind i mean) help me train him to stop pulling?
Prongs didn't really work out to great for me, i love this new front clip harness i got though! It's really helped with my training. http://walkyourdogwithlove.com/
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Along with that harness and training them like this video will show you, they're doing great. Figured a video rather then words would help. Very Happy

There are many different ways to get your dog to stop pulling, it all depends on what works for your dog. You have to be consistent or they think they can get away with it. So never allow them to pull you (on walks) even if it's just for a little bit.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 pm

awesome, thank you got the tip on the bike riding! Micole is just now learning not to pull on walks.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:03 pm

I am getting more and more into the bikjoring everyday and learning more on it each day, So if either of you have ANY questions you can always PM me. Smile
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Sweet! I just wanted to know how to train them before you get on the bike. I never thought about telling her commands when we walk as in "right" "left". She knows "leave it" or "come on" but I will add these to the list as well. thank you very much
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm

i see. does the harness really work ?

and how would the second video help me if i am on a bike? i cant turn and make my dog follow my movement when i am riding the bike

bikjoring? thats how it is called ? cool
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

That's just for walking. Very Happy So is the harness, it's to help train them not to pull on walks. With biking and pulling LokiTheHusky has given you great advice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 pm

i see and thank you all for the effort you put to help me figure it out but my economy doesnt allow me to buy the harness and today my training attempt failed but i will try again some other day and for the bike i will try repairing it and see how does the training turn out and of course i will let you guys know how it is going.

Around how much time does it take to train a husky to do something?
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Rami wrote:

Around how much time does it take to train a husky to do something?

That is all dependent on the dog and how well they pick up one what you want from them. I have seen some get the command Sit on the 3rd try and know it for good, others have taken weeks to get it down right.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 pm

As long as I have a treat Micole will do ANYTHING for it.... If I don't have one she will be stubborn ... More like "UGH!!! I cant keep treats in my pocket all day for you!!" lol!
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 pm

i always take food and water on hot days with me when i take him to walks. Just to be there in case i need it Razz
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 pm

I am half Romanian and Hungarian ... Never visit though ... How hot does it get there???
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 pm

very cold in winter and and very hot in summer Razz
Back to top Go down
husky123
Newborn
Newborn
husky123

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 am

Rami wrote:
Teach me how to train him !! I have no idea how and my attempts failed me every time Sad

At the beginning of the walk its like nightmare but i try to keep my cool but at the end is really pleasant when he walks beside me.

I have the same thing happen to me with mine. He is so excited to go on a walk and has so much energy at the beginning of the walk, it is a challenge to keep him at my side. I have to wrap the leash around my hand to make it short and pull tightly on the leash. That of course causes hand pain, and I wouldn't recommend it. LOL Later on he gets a little tired and calms down and it's much easier to control him. So I too need to work on keeping him at my side with ease the whole time. One thing I have done that helps some, is give him some exercise time in a smaller confined space first like the dog run in the yard, so that on the walk he doesn't have quite so much energy.
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Ok today he pulled so hard that he broke the thing that u attach the leash to the collar,the metal thing on the collar just broke o_O

For more details : http://journaloframi.blogspot.ro/2013/04/29-april-2013-coffee-and-weed-walk-gone.html

"The second part"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Okami with a  bow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami with a bow   Okami with a  bow Empty

Back to top Go down

Okami with a bow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next